LED Bulb Thread

Well I have order 10 from 2 sources CRAZY's and another, will give a review of each when theyarrive and compare to what I have, hopefully get some good pictures for comparative sakes also.
The Hk delivery is random, so might take some time.

I look forward to your review, as mentioned need to fit 20 downlights in the kitchen, not until Feb though :D

I've ordered one just to make sure they are bright enough, then will grab another 3 if they are.

When you say they can be dimmed, do you just need one of them dials instead of a switch? Or does the light fitting have to be dimable also?

I can confirm you need a trailing edge dimmer for LED otherwise they strobe and turn your living room into a disco!

Have LED's on trailing edge dimmers in 3 rooms in my house. 8 on 1, 4 on 1 and 3 on 1. Whilst dimmed low anything less than 4 I have found will cause a minor pulsing, 3 is noticeable so would be worth fitting something to draw some more current in the circuit somewhere if you have a low number of lights. Varilight do some nice dimmer sbut they're not cheap, circa £30-50 depending on 1,2,3 gang etc.

Generally an LED is an LED, where the bigger price of philips etc.. comes in is the quality of the drivers and cooling of said drivers, They dont have heatsinks on them for no reason.

Whilst LEDs will last years and years 90% of the one you fit in your house will have an integral driver unit (very much like the LV transformers for LV lights) and this is what will fail.

As for dimming it should generally require the same sort of dimmer as LV downlights require. Oh and a 1W LED can be extremely bright.

As far as I know the sockets are irrelevant, it's all about the bulb and the switch, and as mentioned for LED's you MAY need a different dimmer switch or module as they go much much lower in wattage

Was looking to replace 6 Sylvania Hi-spot 95 75 watts each with 6 of these Sylvania HI-SPOT® RefLED PAR30 10 watts each. Bloody price is £40.80 cheapest price average is £60+ each, no thanks.

bulb.jpg

The search goes on.

bought 10 gu10 and 8 light bulb ones from sophie on ebay, will let you know what they are like when they turn up

Got my LED GU10 spotlight today from the seller Crazy posted and they are very good. Its about as bright as the 50 watt Osram ones i'd say. I'll deffo be getting more now I know they are bright enough.

Sounds good - I don't suppose you could do a side by side comparison pic could you? :)

DSC_4453.jpg

LED on the left and Osram 50 watt on the right. I went for the warm white LED and it is still cooler than the Osram ones. I'm really impressed with it, they have come a long way since I last tried one. Hopefully they will last a lot longer and save a bit of energy.

It proves how much energy the 50 watt ones waste with how hot they get. I could hardly touch the metal light fitting to move it into place but the LED was cool to touch.

Getting some LED GU10s is something I'm considering. Got 7 in kitchen sapping 50w and getting ridiculously hot. Plus they don't last very long at all.

Well ive purchased 10 last week from ebay and 4 have gone in the space of a few days and just seen one explode the leds are just hanging out

I got a Hi/Lo PIR outside light for the front door. For those unfamiliar with them, they basically stay on half brightness all the time and go to full brightness when the PIR detects movement. I've yet to find any type of bulb other than a standard tungsten that will work with it. I got a so called dimmable LED one that completely refused to dim. The search goes on...

Well ive purchased 10 last week from ebay and 4 have gone in the space of a few days and just seen one explode the leds are just hanging out

From the Seller posted in this thread? I've had mine on for about 10 hours today and all seems fine so far.

Back
Top Bottom