LED Bulb Thread

Give me a few more days, 8've three more types arriving.
If youare looking for mr16s it might be worth the wait, if you are after gu10s then the concensus seems to be sophia wang on ebay with her cree rotundity bulbs, her mr16s are not as bright.
If ordering from her, find the ten pack deal, its about 3.50 a bulb then, rather than 6.80 or higher with some other types I've tried so far.

Okay a new bulb type arrived, and first impressions are great.
Its a multipart LED Diode type, 24 or so small panels.
MR16 type as with the others I have previously tried.
ElCfI.jpg

The colour again was selected to be warm white
These are made by mirrorstone.
0Rc7z.jpg
In usage the colour is perfect, the bulbs are similar in colour to the CREE rotundy bulbs that have been highly spoken of so far, but they are approximately twice as bright in mr16 configuration. They are 4 watt or so, so half the wtatage dvertised for the dimmer CREE bulbs.
I've replaced the entire kitchen in them.
hTqCK.jpg

I am very pleased with these bulbs. They were not cheap, but advertise a 50000 hour lifespan, and I figure compared to 50watt halogen, they will repay less than 1 year.

I will also be trying them out in GU10 soon to replace some bulbs in my folks house, so will be able to give a nice comparison hopefully.

I will also be trying them out in GU10 soon to replace some bulbs in my folks house, so will be able to give a nice comparison hopefully.

Will be interested to see your comments on the GU10 version.

Been looking at trying one of these GU10 24 SMD – 4W LED http://www.mirrorstonelighting.co.uk/?page_id=380

Rather impressive beam angle at 120 degrees, & their Cool White (6000K) I consider that daylight, the cool white lamps I'm currently using are 4000K, so it will interesting experiment.

Last edited:
Those 24 SMD ones look good, amazing to think they're only 4w.

I ended up buying another 3 of the GU10 ones from the same seller and after getting them all in and positioned they do actually seem brighter than the 50w Osram bulbs they replaced. Not as good as the 4w each ones you got but at 36w for 4, compared to 200w, i'm really happy.

Hopefully they will last a lot longer than the 50w halogen bulbs that seem to blow after 6 months or less. I'll report back if i have any problems, but so far they seem great.

My 4W E14 LED bulbs have arrived. Have 6 to replace the current 40W bulbs.

I got them off an eBay seller as the single 3W I got was decent just needed to be a bit brighter.

I may be asking a stupid naive question however, do LED bulbs just replace my halogen normal bog standard ones I currently have, or do I need to change fixture etc? Is it just a case of buying the LED taking my current bulb out and replacing, or is my current tech old school ? Cheers, again sorry about the naive question, not a DIY'er

It very much depends.
LEDS need for the most part a constant 12 volts, and not to be supervolted, as it can damage them.
Most transformed for MR16 style lights will work perfectly well, but some will not work at all, as some expect there to be a minimum load of up to 30 watts at all times, thus without any halogen present, you might get no lighting.

In my house and my parnets house, all the trasnformers that were 10 and 12 and 8 years old, all work perfectly fine. The sunroom in my house, which was added after initial build, not sure when, maybe 3-5 years ago, has transformers that I can't simply plug a replacement bulb into, they won't light. I will likely have to replace these transformers at some stage.

As GU10 are direct fit and 240V afaik, there should be no issues swapping over GU10s only MR16s and in most cases they should still work fine.

My 4W E14 LED bulbs have arrived. Have 6 to replace the current 40W bulbs.

I got them off an eBay seller as the single 3W I got was decent just needed to be a bit brighter.

E14 I have ordered recently, where did you order from? What modle did you go for, and how much did they cost you?

Still in the market for some nice B15s if anyone has any advice?

E14 I have ordered recently, where did you order from? What modle did you go for, and how much did they cost you?

Still in the market for some nice B15s if anyone has any advice?

I got the 4x1W warm white from delhanway2009.

They are bright but not quiet as bright as the 40W normal bulbs. They are also quite directional. I imagine the SMD style ones would give a more even light but they look a bit ugly, these look good.

I paid £16 for 6 so cant really fault the quality of them at that price.

I am in the process of replacing the ceiling in my lounge and want to fit some LED downlights. What would be the best fittings to go for with a new install? GU10 seem the most common so should I just go with those? Is there any point getting the fireproof ones for LEDs or will any cheapo fittings do? I wouldn't have thought they get hot enough for it to be a problem.

I am in the process of replacing the ceiling in my lounge and want to fit some LED downlights. What would be the best fittings to go for with a new install? GU10 seem the most common so should I just go with those? Is there any point getting the fireproof ones for LEDs or will any cheapo fittings do? I wouldn't have thought they get hot enough for it to be a problem.

If there's a room above then you need fire rated downright fittings. I got Ansell ( ?) GU10 icage fittings which can use halogen, cfl or led bulbs.

One of my bulbs has started flickering :(. I guess this is the problem with buying cheapo from HK, probably not worth the hassle and cost of sending it back.

I have emailed the seller to see if they will offer a partial refund if I dont send the bulb back. I'll wait a while to see if its just a dodgy bulb and make sure the others are fine before ordering a new one though.

I spent £150 a few weeks ago on 10 x 5W GU10 LED bulbs. You might say they were really expensive but they were from a decent retailer, had excellent reviews, come with a 12 month replacement warranty and are actually brighter than the standard halogens I had.

If I factor in the costs involved for replacing the standard bulbs every time they blew and and electricity cost difference, these bulbs will pay for themselves in about 7 months :)

Last edited:
I spent £150 a few weeks ago on 10 x 5W GU10 LED bulbs. You might say they were really expensive but they were from a decent retailer, had excellent reviews, come with a 12 month replacement warranty and are actually brighter than the standard halogens I had.

If I factor in the costs involved for replacing the standard bulbs every time they blew and and electricity cost difference, these bulbs will pay for themselves in about 7 months :)

Might be useful to say what/where they're from! :)

Might be useful to say what/where they're from! :)

Sorry, these ones:
SimplyLED

I was off a little on the price... it actually came to £112 :)

And here is a photo:
lightsw.jpg

Can you guess which is the old one and which one is the LED? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom