LED Bulb Thread

LED on the left and Osram 50 watt on the right. I went for the warm white LED and it is still cooler than the Osram ones. I'm really impressed with it, they have come a long way since I last tried one. Hopefully they will last a lot longer and save a bit of energy.

It proves how much energy the 50 watt ones waste with how hot they get. I could hardly touch the metal light fitting to move it into place but the LED was cool to touch.
Cheers for doing that - the led lamp looks awesome - the halogen looks poop in comparison! I don't need dimmable ones - I presume the non dimmable ones from the same seller (a bit cheaper too) should be as good as the ones you got!

I have received three types of bulbs now
One I sought myself, and two from this thread, CRAZYs and the other linked sets.
I am not using GU10 like all you guys, for some reason all my halogen spots are MR16 type, so those are the bulbs I can review.

I will add photos after I can test side by side to show.
My inital set were cluster bulbs, they contain an absolute stack of LEDs, and as such are a little longer than most MR16 bulbs, some housings would need bracket adaption to allow correct fit, I adjusted mine with a pair of pliers in around 10 seocnds for each hosuing retaining wire bracket, simply bending the wire down slightly to stop interference.
These bulbs are rated at 4.5W, they were bought to replace 50W halogens.
I fitted my upstairs landing with 4 of them, the light is wonderful, truely equivalent to the halogens they replaced. The light produced was warm type but not as warm as the original halogens.

Second bulb was a 4*1watt type mr16, these gave just as good light as the first set i tried, fitted the housing without adaption, but has numerous problems, some bulbs DOA, and an abundance of flicker within 5 of the 10 ordered, colour was warm again, similar to the first set, but again not as warm as the original haolgens.

Third type were CRAZYs recommendation, arrived prompty from HK, these were 3*3W style. Colour was warm as with the other bulbs, and was very similar to the haolgen they were replacing. No flicker with this set, and they fitted the housings without any adaption, tighter fit than the halogens, but still well within norms. The only issue is these bulbs claim to be using more watts than the other two, as they are 3*3Watt, 9 watt, but the brightness isn't even close to the 50 watt. They seem much more equivalent to a 20watt haolgen. This has proven a big disappointment with their MR16, they simply don't give anywhere near enough light.

I'll include some pictures when I have time to post them up, and properly show all three side by side with a halogen.
One of the final set Crazys one on the right and original haolgens on left hand side down the kitchen.

eqH9w.jpg

Also forgot to mention the third bulb type, Crazys suggestion has one other significant thing assoicated with it, of the three types tested so far, it seems to be the only one to generate an audible 50hz buzz that can be assoicated with some types of electrical/electronic equipment.
Did you notice this Mark A? have you listened for such with the lights turned on?

Intersting, i was considering ordering something similar for the test test, guess if they are arriving DOA, then I shall give that a wide berth, and try a different make/type/supplier.

Just checked and there is no noise at all. But I don't have mine on a dimmer.

Which would you say was the best one you have tried so far then Hikari Kisugi? I'm quite happy with this one but if there are brighter ones about then the brighter the better. The cluster ones sound good but the extra length might look a bit odd in the light fitting I have.

The cluster ones are certainly the best so far, but them come at the expense of a shorter advertised lifespan and potential need for adjustment of the casing.
I was surprised as how dull the 3*3 watt ones were.
I do not have any of them attached to dimmers either, they are all at full potential brightness.
The search continues I shall be ordering other variants from different places tonight, and continue the reporting as they arrive.

photoe.jpg

Can you see the fluff at the bottom

photo3ca.jpg

And more fluff on the capacitor

photo2um.jpg

photo1yly.jpg

Out the the Ten pack i purchaed 1 above blown and another 5 dead all within about a week. The seller has offered a £1 refund, what a joke

Assuming they are all in the correct transformers etc?
The ones that do actually work, what sort of light is given out, are they decent bulbs?

My flickers set, the middle set I tried are actually great but I couldn;t trust an order to the guy again, too many rubbish ones among the delivery.

The one i purchased were the warm light as it was for the bedroom. There is a lot of light. But then i would like to see what Day Light bulbs are like also.

Ive looked at the other lights which have failed even though the internals have not poped out you can see the cap has gone

Mine have arrived (Ordered from sophie wang on ebay), ordered 8 candle bulbs and 10 gu10, all in cool white.

Thoughts so far are :

Sophie Wang sent quickly and arrived within a week
All bulbs work
All bulbs consistent (No buzzing/humming etc)
Cool White is very clinical, first comment when I put 4 in a fitting in the kitchen was...wow looks like an operating theatre

In summary, very impressed, bulbs worked out about £3 each, going to order another batch in soft white

It must just be her MR16 bulbs that are the disapointment then, which is a great shame, as the delivery was swift and the price excellent.
I really didn't expect to drop to half brightness and still be blasting out 9w (3*3) (no dimmers etc).

Question to the experts: how warm can I reasonably expect LED GU10's to go?

I've got a 4-spot strip in my hallway which previously had 50W halogens in. On an impulse, I bought a single Diall 50W (equiv) LED GU10 from B&Q just to see what it was like. It's a reasonable quality light, and I'd certainly invest in getting more, but the other half hates that the LED one is much 'whiter' than the others. The colour temperature is a lot higher than the existing halogens, so looks a bit weird against the existing wall colour.

The Diall is marked as being at 3000K, which is supposedly 'warm'. But next to the old halogens, it's really harsh.

I took it back and swapped it for a 35W equiv, as in the shop display the 35W looked significantly warmer than the 50W. However, on getting it home, it looks to be exactly the same temperature as before, albeit a bit less bright.

Will I fare better with the Osrams? Or any other make? Or do they just naturally come up a bit 'bluer' than halogens?

I think someones linked it already in the thread but I backed the Kickstarter for the LIFX bulbs. Payment has been taken (£82 for 2) but they aren't in production yet I don't think. Will update when they start shipping them. I know it's quite a lot of cash for some LED bulbs but I'm a night worker so these will be really handy for me as I can set them on a timer and the possibilities with addons look fun.

Mine have arrived (Ordered from sophie wang on ebay), ordered 8 candle bulbs and 10 gu10, all in cool white.

Thoughts so far are :

Sophie Wang sent quickly and arrived within a week
All bulbs work
All bulbs consistent (No buzzing/humming etc)
Cool White is very clinical, first comment when I put 4 in a fitting in the kitchen was...wow looks like an operating theatre

In summary, very impressed, bulbs worked out about £3 each, going to order another batch in soft white
can you put a link to the GU10 LED equivalent you bought please

Back
Top Bottom