LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Ever tried Superflare RB? I found them to be better than even LightRabbit's Superior COB.

I haven't, but I have 10* superior COB's - I realy like them as undimmable spots - very warm and bright, superb 'quality' of light. slightly too direct for downlights I think though.
Problem is, they're uuuuseless for dimming[tested in 4's, 6's, 8's and 10's . I've been given the right run-around by light rabbit when it comes to dimming them so in the end I just put them on on/off switches instead.

I should try some though at some point - it's just a big commitment isn't it!

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I've not tried them but have been tempted. Usually reviews on screwfix are pretty decent to go off and they are good for taking things back if you re not happy etc. just have a double check to see f the ones you are looking at online are still being sold as I've seen a few being phased out on there lately; in particular dimmable GU10's - a week or so ago you could not buy them in packs of 5/6 so if you can now they must be new models.

[mid speech edit]
I figured I should check that I'm not talking rubbish...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gu10-led-lamp-346lm-cd-5w-pack-of-5/3797g these have no reviews, and although they don't say 'new' I'm pretty sure they are new as the last pack of 5 dimmable GU10's had [more than 0] reviews, but were not availible in any store, or for delivery - screwfix keep things on their website for a while after they are discontinued, but don't really mark them as being so.

I should realy get a pack for testing as they're pretty good value, but honestly out of all the dimmable LED's ive used they have all been crap with the sole exception of the LEDhut 4.5wat, 350lm GU10's; these are the only dimmable GU10s I can reccomend*
*in banks of 4 or more.

Well that didnt end well, the LAP GU10's whilst bright, dont dim all that well. Shame as they were cheap. Im wondering if the LEDHUT bulbs will be better, my dimmer is a Varilight IQ Remote.

Soldato
Still replacing our CFL's gradually, mainly using Auraglow brand. Word of advice though, try and avoid the cool white as overlooked this when buying the last one. About the only place it looks reasonably okay is on the landing but really is a bit harsh on the eyes. Definitely go with warm white.

Next up probably the GU10's in the bathroom.

Associate
Do we have a standard BC22 LED that people recommend ? I have the usual single BC22 in all bedrooms and would like to change to LED. Or just go on LED hut and buy 1 of each and see which I like the best?

Associate
40w or 60w in most. They bedrooms so dont need to be particularly bright. Il replace living room and dining room ones to but have a few lights in thoose rooms so I dont think brightness will be an issue, Im reading through this HUGE topic but only on page 5 so far!

Associate
I have them in my living room. They are nice but not very bright. I would say the 6.2w are really the lowest I would go now. I'm thinking of changing my two ceiling lights but can't decide on the 9 or 6.2w bulbs.

Soldato
So are there any LED units that are as bright, or preferably brighter than, 50W GU10s?

A year or so ago I was looking to replace the three GU10s in our kitchen, but although their colour was spot on, they weren't quite as bright...

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Superflare and LightRabbit's Superior COB are brighter than 50W halogen. I personally recommend Superflare as it's the brightest of the two and has better light spread.

I would be wary of any LED bulb that isn't COB and isn't at least 6W which claims to be brighter than a 50W halogen.

Caporegime
10% quidco ends tonight and with the 24hour code it's good time to buy

I'm getting 3xe14 r50s for my kitchen

Last edited:
Soldato
cheers for the code - 24% off and 13% cash back!

Ordered 7 warm light GU10 for the study/tv room and then one of each of the others (daylight and cool) to test in the kitchen/sitting room where I need 18!

Associate
I went to Costco yesterday and they had 100W dimmable LED bayonet bulbs. Bought two to replace the 60W ones I bought from there a while back (living room & dining room). Noticeably brighter and obviously dimmable when you want something more cosy. Win-win. :)

They're surprisingly heavy, though!

60W moved upstairs now.

Back
Top Bottom