LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
LEDHUT prices seem to have gone up 15-20% on the items i was viewing lately..

agreed a bit cheeky.

I paid £5.98 for 4.5 Watt ones on Tuesday - 24% code (ignoring cashback after this)

=£4.54 a bulb

Today same one is £7.17 a bulb with 30% off = £5.02

However on the "bright" side (see what I did there) - the 7 bulbs I replaced in my tv/cinema room are excellent - really impressed with the light/spread and colour (warm white)

I also bought a cool white and a daylight tester bulb for the 18 that I will need to eventually replace in the kitchen/sitting room open plan part of the house.

After trying them the cool white was too stark, but the daylight was better than the warm white in that area.

Soldato
So if I want to get some replacements for the 35-50W GU10s we have in our play room and study, any recommendations?

Simply want as close as possible to existing GU10 colour really, with a nice wide angle.

And I'm rght in saying I'd need to change the existing dimmers over to ones specifically for LEDs? eg: Varlight?

Caporegime
Just fitted the 4.5W E14 R50 bulbs from LED hut in my kitchen

Very pleased, great colour and spread and very bright. Win

Miles better than the crappy 3W eBay ones

Soldato
So if I want to get some replacements for the 35-50W GU10s we have in our play room and study, any recommendations?

Simply want as close as possible to existing GU10 colour really, with a nice wide angle.

And I'm rght in saying I'd need to change the existing dimmers over to ones specifically for LEDs? eg: Varlight?

Anyone?

Soldato

the big question is dimmable or not? that will limit you.
otherwise, standard halogen GU10's tend to have a relatively narrow beam angle, so if you want 'really wide' then you're probably going to be looking at multi SMD units, rather than COBS; but COBS tend to have a light colour much more similar to halogen... kinda between a rock and a hard-place there.

if it's none-dimmable, 50+ watt halogen replicas you are after then I'd say go for the superior COB from light rabbit, my only warning is it's not 'wide' like multi SMD units are, but it's still probably wider than halogen. there's another similar COB another guy swears by on here which is apparently a bit wider. the colour temperature and rendering is superb though, and very bright too.

if it's a dimmable (or none dimmable) GU10 which is very wide and floody, but doesn't nail the colour temperature then have a look at LED hut's 4.5watt GU10 which I've mentioned a lot.

Soldato
just done this mockup of what I had in my head for the outside spots. they will be GU10s in IP65 enclosures. the wiring will all be exposed unfortunatly, but will go into neat IP66 JB's and shouldn't cause too much distraction I don't think.

about to go drilling so it's a bit late for suggestions!
[edited again: updated the picture:]
gj3p653.jpg

old picture:
kHuzJ5D.jpg

If anyone's interested, the window in the top right is a room with white walls which has 'LED HUT 4.5watt GU10's' in DAYLIGHT WHITE - this is the point at which the background mage was white balanced.
the room below has 'LED HUT 4.5watt GU10's' in WARM WHITE' as well as 2 ikea lamps which are very warm anyway.
the room next to that is a kitchen and that has light rabbit's superior COB GU10's - the kitchen is mostly 'oak' cupboards and magnolia though so it apears even warmer than it should be.
the rest of the lights are energy-saving CF lights.
the outdoor spots are made up, but the security light above the door is a 10watt cool white unit.

excuse the pig-stye of a back 'garden' haven't touched it since I moved here... that green plastic shed :(

Last edited:
Soldato
LEDHUT prices seem to have gone up 15-20% on the items i was viewing lately..

agreed a bit cheeky.

I paid £5.98 for 4.5 Watt ones on Tuesday - 24% code (ignoring cashback after this)

=£4.54 a bulb

Today same one is £7.17 a bulb with 30% off = £5.02

Just came in here to post the same because of the "Cyber Monday 30% Off" Email.

Item prices have been hiked 20% since the order I placed on 12th November. Very cheeky.

led_rip_off.jpg

Soldato
the big question is dimmable or not? that will limit you.
otherwise, standard halogen GU10's tend to have a relatively narrow beam angle, so if you want 'really wide' then you're probably going to be looking at multi SMD units, rather than COBS; but COBS tend to have a light colour much more similar to halogen... kinda between a rock and a hard-place there.

if it's none-dimmable, 50+ watt halogen replicas you are after then I'd say go for the superior COB from light rabbit, my only warning is it's not 'wide' like multi SMD units are, but it's still probably wider than halogen. there's another similar COB another guy swears by on here which is apparently a bit wider. the colour temperature and rendering is superb though, and very bright too.

if it's a dimmable (or none dimmable) GU10 which is very wide and floody, but doesn't nail the colour temperature then have a look at LED hut's 4.5watt GU10 which I've mentioned a lot.

Dimmable. Am I right in saying I'd need to change my existing dimmer switch (used with 50W GU10s) to an LED friendly one?

Soldato
Dimmable. Am I right in saying I'd need to change my existing dimmer switch (used with 50W GU10s) to an LED friendly one?
depends, how many bulbs per gang ? (single dimmer)

either way, 9 times out of 10 you can get away with just changing the dimmer module and keep your existing faceplate and knob.you can buy replacement modules. Varilight V-pro trailing edge are generally the go-to for LED's

LEDHut are taking the ****. Anyone aware of any other stockists for Lumlife bulbs?

it's doing my head in aswell, all of the LED retailers are at the same game though - daft prices with daft fake 'discount codes' I literally can't find my last recent invoice in my inbox when I search for it becaue of all the spam they are sending out with sales, codes etc. The last time I bought I bought over the ohone(!!) going through the trade account way. they promised to beat the retail prices, so I ut them to the test and... well they didn't! I managed to get a cheaper price on the retail site by using a 30% code and I told the guy on the phone that so he had to lower his prce by a good £30 to get there.

their call centre is werid though. I'm convinced it's just a generic call centre who is sub-contacted by LED hut. it's in the channel islands and the people on the phones have a disctinct lack of awareness about their prices, products and history.

I hadn't realised the prices were fluctuating so much, so rapidly though, it's disgusting. is there anything that can be done about this as it's a total con.

as for other stockists, I have seen a couple but not as cheap - I have not looked very far though.

Soldato
To save me trawling through 45 pages of text, what's a good bayonet led bulb in the white/cool white 60 or 100w equivalent with a wide angle (not sure if all bayonets are wide angle)?
Cheers.

Chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom