LED Bulb Thread

noj

noj

Associate
I have been pleased with Philips LED bulbs, B22 and Hue and have a few Ikea LED in lamps that seem fine.

Where i do not want to use Hue i am looking to replace what older energy bulbs we have so wondered what i should be looking at?

The only issue i have with Philips on the std LED bulbs is the beam angle - loads of light underneath but does not spread swell as older energy bulbs.

what do you think of the Hue?

tempted to get it set up in our place but its quite an investment.

DDD

DDD

Associate
Led / dimmable , buzzing sound

I have just installed LAP GU10 LED Lamp 346Lm Cd 5W Pack of 5 for £ 19.99 from screw fix - they are dimmable ...

but , when dimmed they make a really loud buzzing noise .

Now would this be the dimmer switch , the light fixture itself or am I simply expecting too much from this economical led bulb ?

Man of Honour
Can anyone recommend an led bulb to replace a candle bulb. Some cheap Tesco rubbish that takes 20mins to get up to power.

It's got FLE9cdl/827 on it if that's any help on what it is, bayonet b22. Brightness is fine once it gets up to power.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have just installed LAP GU10 LED Lamp 346Lm Cd 5W Pack of 5 for £ 19.99 from screw fix - they are dimmable ...

Now would this be the dimmer switch , the light fixture itself or am I simply expecting too much from this economical led bulb ?

I don't want to assume; you say they were £19.99 for 5, but how many do you have installed? is it 5?, 10 or less?

dimming 5 GU10's is hit and miss at the best of times, but to be in with a decent chance, the go-to dimmer is the varilight V-pro (trailing edge dimmer).
Screwfix sell them, but I'm not sure if they're competitive or not. If your existing dimmer face plate matches other switches in the room and you want to keep it then you can just change the module and keep the plate.

I haven't tested those LAP GU10's from screw fix as they were never in stock; if you got them recently I suspect they are a newer model as when they go out of stock for a long time it usually means they're going to be replaced by something newer.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.

Yep thats the dimmer, on my varilight IR dimmer it did this until i changed the mode to trailing edge.

I now have the same LEDS in another room on a cheap varilight from screwfix, and they work fine, they dont dim right down, but are pretty good.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Whats the best B22 Bayonet LED bulb in 100w equivalent?

I saw this one in Asda (own make) for £15.

1422203889.jpg

Anything cheaper/better?

Caporegime
I really like the Lumilife bulbs. Shame the only UK retailer is LED Hut.
I didn't realise LED Hut operate in so many countries.

Same here. I've just bought some dimmable Lumilife LEDs and they're great. They dim right down no problems with four lamps per gang (Varilight V-Pro dimmer switch).

It's these ones, £6 a pop after 'VAT free' discount:

zyecOSF.png

Soldato
I got some great bayonet LED bulbs from LED hut, i cant remember the watt, i think it was 8, but they are super bright, very impressed

Soldato
Did anyone see the guy for Easybulb on dragons den?

It was such a shame; his pitch was really bad and he got shot down with arguments that were out out of context / invalid relative to the actual product. They can only judge on what he shows them and tells them and that's where he went wrong. poor guy just didn't explain the product properly and they got it all wrong and ran with it.

I'm a little bit puzzled though; I see easybulbs being sold under other brands (like mi.light) but there only seems to be one company (gigateq limited, Swinton, Manchester) and one director (Henry something) but he didn't come across as being the inventer or designer of the product and got a few facts about it wrong.

don't get me wrong; I didn't expect anyone to invest at all beofre I saw the pitch but he got flamed off!

I've got 5 easybulbs now and I'm just about to order 2 more. they're a fantastic cheaper alternative to more expensive systems. any other users here? thw wifi bridge + android app is garbage though; but the hardware remote is great and I much prefer it as it just works.

Soldato
Got my own place so want to swap out all the old bulbs for some nice bright LED ones.

so some moronic questions, They are your normal 100w bayonet bulbs dangling down. can I just get any LED bayonet bulb?

any recommendations on retailers/brands?

I'm lazy and don't want to trawl through pages that might not be relevant anymore

Back
Top Bottom