LED Bulb Thread

Associate
Can I replace the Halogen MR16 bulbs with LED? Straight swap

Not sure what fixtures I have in the kitchen ceiling though, just moved in Thursday.
House is 7 years old.

If I can does anyone recommend any bulbs without breaking the bank..

Associate
Went with the ECO LED ZEP 1 as recommended by -AD-. Got a mixture of ZEP1 Fixed and ZEP1 Darklight (recessed) for different rooms.

Quality of the units look amazing! Much better build quality than the cheap units you can pick up. Hopefully this will lead to longer life as most seem to fall way short of what they claim.

Colour wise I'm really happy, no overtones or rainbow edges that I can pick up on. They claim to have a CRI of 80+ and they give me notably better light than any other LEDs I have used.

Will be using them for other rooms as needed.

Cheers -AD- :)

This is the ZEP1 Darklights in place - I can get better picks of the units if anyone is interested.
AqPtL6il.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
ok, cancelled my £100 worth of an order with LED hut they are a joke of a company, still not posted my order i made on 27th Nov. Given no real reason why its been delayed, all items in stock,

going to give them feedback if i can find out how

Now looking for another site, any recommendations?

im after g9 dimmable

Odd I've ordered many times from them and received them all next day.

Associate
Put in a "Lumilife 5.6 Watt - B22 High Output Standard Shape LED Bulb" to replace a 14w energy saving bulb today, it is normal for this type of bulb to have a high pitched noise to it? I'm not sure if it went away after 10 minutes or I'd just got used to it.

Soldato
Can I replace the Halogen MR16 bulbs with LED? Straight swap

Not sure what fixtures I have in the kitchen ceiling though, just moved in Thursday.
House is 7 years old.

If I can does anyone recommend any bulbs without breaking the bank..

Yes, subject to drivers being able to run at low wattage. If they can't you will see the bulb flickering.

I had 19 to replace, of those 2 drivers are faulty/need rewiring, 2 flickered not compatible with driver and one is in an extractor I need to work out how to remove the bulb. :p

The other 14 are in and so far working well for 2.5 weeks.

I used Luceco LED MR16 5W 370lm Bulb.

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/LUCECO-MR16-Spot/LED-MR16-5W-2700K-12V-Nexus-LMW5W37-01
They did take an age to get them in stock along with 9 Nexus Luceco LED Candle Frosted 5.2W 470 Lumen.

Also available from http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/luceco-led-mr16-5w-370lm-bulb-a09tu which might be useful for buying one to test.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking at swapping some of the bulbs in my new house for LEDs, however I'm not sure what to do with the bedrooms. The living room currently has lots of halogen lights on a dimmer, I'm going to swap the dimmer out for a new Varilight one and get some LEDs for the fixtures. The bedrooms just have one bulb operating on a dimmer. Is it possible to get one single LED bulb that is bright enough to light a reasonable sized room (about 4m x 4m) like a CFL?

Edit: Something like this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Thanks, I ended up ordering some 9w bulbs instead for most of the rooms, and went with the 13w bulb for my office room as I like it a bit brighter. Saved a bit of cash that way!

Soldato
Really struggling to find decent candle bulbs (ideally dimmable, warm white, as bright as possible) that are not absolutely terrible but are reasonably priced. Don't know why cos there's loads of normal bulbs, GU10's etc.

Soldato
I bought this G9 LED from Wholesale LED after finding them on Google and the light is perfect but quite pricey. A further search for the model number found this which looks identical but unsure of the website and the origins of the LED. I dont want it to be poorly build and then catch fire or something.

The colour states that its natural white compared to warm white that I have but considering I need 10 Im happy to purchase them all natural white if need be.

Comparing the 2 they both seem to share a lot of similar specs but my main concern is the build quality etc. The one I have says it is made in the UK?? Whereas I assume the cheaper one is built in China or similar? Does anyone know anything about Tmart?

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Bought 6 down lights and bulbs from LED hut. Good quality and fitted them yesterday in the bathroom. The old halogen down lighters we were left with 1 of 6 working so now it feels like having a poo in a hospital

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Really struggling to find decent candle bulbs (ideally dimmable, warm white, as bright as possible) that are not absolutely terrible but are reasonably priced. Don't know why cos there's loads of normal bulbs, GU10's etc.

Have you tried the filament style? They're meant to be pretty good, any decent brand should see you through.

The B&Q Diall brand should be adequate as I believe they're all just a large lighting companies bulbs, rebranded.

Back
Top Bottom