LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Avoid Diall. I bought 8 GU10's (3000k, 350lumen, 6.5w at £13 each) for my kitchen. One failed after about 9 months, B&Q wouldn't replace it even though they have a 12 month warranty and a claimed 10 year life, because they'd changed the spec from 6.5w 350lm to 6w 340lm so it wasn't "like for like"

Since then another 2 have failed....

Even if they are made by Osram, I'll certainly not buy those or for that matter any LED from B&Q again...

Gaaaa, what a pain in the behind. For the price it costs them, its not worth annoying customers for.

Associate
Screwfix Lap 5W MR16 are now 5.99 for 5 (3 year guarantee)

I had one bulb that flickered after 6 months replaced without question

I did buy a couple of Philips as a comparison and don't notice any difference

Soldato
Same. I have a mix of the LAP and Philips. Not noticed any difference. And £6 for 5 is a good price!

I did have one LAP bulb which started flickering, not taken it back yet though.

Associate
Just to follow up from my previous post - took the Lap ones back to screwfix exchanged for Phillips warm glow gu10, no buzzing with these with the dimmer. They also dim really low.

Not sure if i just had a bad batch of Lap but much happier with the Philips for dimming.

Caporegime
I remember somebody was after GLS-type lamps that weren't 2700/3000k for some reason, CPC have recently added these to their product range. No idea if they are any good but the specs fit the brief:

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00220/lamp-5w-led-filament-e27-4000k/dp/LP09271
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00228/lamp-8w-led-filament-e27-4000k/dp/LP09279

Bought a couple of the 8w ones for an area where I can't be bothered to change the fittings. They are fine, usual caveat of them only being plugged in for a day applies here.

Soldato
Redecorated my daughters room, standard dimmer switch with a LED bulb that is dimmable. Generic brands.

It works ok, but it flickers when on full, hums slightly when dim and seems to go from 0-100% with very little switch play.

Are they all like this? is it the switch or the bulb that is more likely to be the issue?

Soldato
Redecorated my daughters room, standard dimmer switch with a LED bulb that is dimmable. Generic brands.

It works ok, but it flickers when on full, hums slightly when dim and seems to go from 0-100% with very little switch play.

Are they all like this? is it the switch or the bulb that is more likely to be the issue?

Think you need a dimmer switch specific for LED. I know i changed mine in my last house for one.

Soldato
Looking at getting some gu10 adjustable angle fittings and leds.
Fittings I guess are good from anywhere, but what about the gu10 leds? Looking to replace 50w halogen.
Led Hut I read are bad, are lightrabbit good?
Or just goto screwfix, tlc etc...?

Caporegime
There's really no point in doing LED downlights by purchasing GU10 fittings and lamps now that it's 2016. Buy an integrated luminaire - the output will be much better as the temperature can be controlled and the LED doesn't have to be compromised to make it fit the form-factor of a halogen lamp.

Associate
Does anyone have a source of grey R50 SES LED spotlight bulbs, we have 20 of the things scattered around the house, all in grey fittings which would look stupid with white bulbs in.

Asda sell them but they're a fiver each, and all the other supermarkets only have white. seem to be even more on the rainforest.

Soldato
There's really no point in doing LED downlights by purchasing GU10 fittings and lamps now that it's 2016. Buy an integrated luminaire - the output will be much better as the temperature can be controlled and the LED doesn't have to be compromised to make it fit the form-factor of a halogen lamp.

Could you show me some examples please?

Soldato

We moved to LED a couple of years ago. We didn't do the bathroom or the kitchen which have downlights.

We have high ceilings (11ft ish) so getting up there isn't straightforward. For someone without much DIY skill and zero electrical skill is replacing them something I could do? The last time I looked the advice was essentially to replace the whole lighting system and the bulbs.

Caporegime
I'm not going to recommend that someone who doesn't feel that confident on working with mains electricity gives it a go, and there's certainly nothing wrong with taking a bunch of existing halogen downlights and putting LED retrofit lamps in. My objection was to setting out to buy a bunch of GU10 cans and LED lamps for a new installation, when there is no requirement to have to compromise.

Could you show me some examples please?

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Lighti...s/Fire-Rated-Downlighting/mSeries™/mPro™.aspx
http://www.ecostar.photonstarlighting.co.uk/products/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom