LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Has anyone chosen their led lights to specifically address the led problem with high blue (daylight) component which is know to impact sleep patterns and so may not be the best choice for living rooms or bedrooms.
Selecting warmer 2700K maybe a first course of action but there seems to be little information available.

This suggests incandescent are the best option.
also found below interesting suggesting which led bulbs may give higher 'quality'(CRI) light and maybe less blue.

Absolutely! CRI is Colour Rendering Index. In LED this tends to be higher with warm white colours but essentially, the higher the CRI (to 100 max), the better real colours look under that light. Reds, Blues, Greens etc will all look more lustrous under a higher number. A lower number has a noticable blanching effect on these types of colour. Next time you go to the butcher, notice the meat is presented under a pink light. This red end of the spectrum makes your beef look dense and bloody. It's a trick!

Of late I have noticed lighting hungry businesses like hair salons rightly changing to LED to save energy and money but then getting it all wrong by being all lit up with cool white temperatures. As an industry that deals heavily in colour, this shows how little attention is being given to the lighting as this is completely the wrong colour for them to be working under. A lady's (or gents if that's your thing) hair colour will look completely different as soon as they step outside. Hopefully better under the higher CRI of daylight but notwithstanding, hair salons should give consideration to this.

Most white LEDs start as a blue light chip then a phosphor (the yellow you see over the top) is applied which changes the colour. LEDs up to a CRI of around 80 will have started life as blue. 90+ CRI will have started life as Red (with the phosphor added) and tend to be more expensive.

For most people, 80 CRI would be more than adequate.

(a bulb addressing this problems should be a significant marketting differentiation opportunity for led manufacturers)

another ref

Associate
Another vote for integrated units rather than using GU10 or MR16 LED bulbs. I went for Collingwood H2 PRO 550 fittings (in warm white) for the bathroom and the kitchen to replace 14 existing MR16 fittings. Dead easy to fit and look great, plus you get a 7 year warranty on them.

Just used Strictly LED’s for some under counter strip lighting and transformers. Seem pretty good so far (fitted them a few days ago) and they were cheap with free postage. Definitely a good alternative to LED Hut as their range of strip lights is pretty limited these days.

Dave

Associate
Fine if you want to waste your money and time

£28 a pop ? = £392

that will buy you 150 MR16's with a 2 year warranty

Another vote for integrated units rather than using GU10 or MR16 LED bulbs. I went for Collingwood H2 PRO 550 fittings (in warm white) for the bathroom and the kitchen to replace 14 existing MR16 fittings. Dead easy to fit and look great, plus you get a 7 year warranty on them.
Dave

Associate
I would have also need 14x transformers to replace the existing ones as each had there own individual, non LED compatible 12v transformer (I tested them and they didn't work with LEDs). The new fittings are also fire rated unlike the old MR16s and they are also IP65 rated which means they are safe to have directly over my shower. Not sure how my time was wasted as they took minutes to fit? Much quicker than having to wire 14 new transformers in as well as replace the 14 bulbs. I did consider going to 240v GU10s however all the lights were wired with 2 core cable, which is fine for 12v but lacking the earth needed for 240v. I would have had to get into the ceiling voids to re-cable it which would have been a very big job.

Dave

Last edited:
Soldato
I would have also need 14x transformers to replace the existing ones as each had there own individual, non LED compatible 12v transformer (I tested them and they didn't work with LEDs). The new fittings are also fire rated unlike the old MR16s and they are also IP65 rated which means they are safe to have directly over my shower. Not sure how my time was wasted as they took minutes to fit? Much quicker than having to wire 14 new transformers in as well as replace the 14 bulbs. I did consider going to 240v GU10s however all the lights were wired with 2 core cable, which is fine for 12v but lacking the earth needed for 240v. I would have had to get into the ceiling voids to re-cable it which would have been a very big job.

Dave

I have similar in my bathroom, I tried leds and the drivers didn't like the low current draw, my plan was to get rid of 3 drivers (I currently have 4) and just connect 4 leds to the 1 driver.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Might you be able to offer advice as to how many LED fixtures my flat renovation might require?

O7c3DYP.jpg

I'm wanting them in the hallways, the bathroom & toilet and the kitchen. I think I am set on 6 in the kitchen, 4 in the bathroom and 2 in the toilet.

Where more of a question lies for me is in the hallways, which are approximately 3m in length from the front door to the larger bedroom and approximately 4m from the kitchen to the smaller bedroom. The hatch to the loft is in-between the front door and the junction of the hallways which makes things more awkward.

At the moment this space is served by just 1 light fixture, which does not provide the even lighting I would like. My impression from being in the property is that 3 evenly space fixtures; one in the hallway from the front door and two in the hallway to the kitchen might do.

Can anyone advise or offer information as to where to find the optimum LED fixture separation distance?

Ta

Soldato
Hi guys,

Might you be able to offer advice as to how many LED fixtures my flat renovation might require?

O7c3DYP.jpg

I'm wanting them in the hallways, the bathroom & toilet and the kitchen. I think I am set on 6 in the kitchen, 4 in the bathroom and 2 in the toilet.

Where more of a question lies for me is in the hallways, which are approximately 3m in length from the front door to the larger bedroom and approximately 4m from the kitchen to the smaller bedroom. The hatch to the loft is in-between the front door and the junction of the hallways which makes things more awkward.

At the moment this space is served by just 1 light fixture, which does not provide the even lighting I would like. My impression from being in the property is that 3 evenly space fixtures; one in the hallway from the front door and two in the hallway to the kitchen might do.

Can anyone advise or offer information as to where to find the optimum LED fixture separation distance?

Ta

Exactly, 381 :p

Soldato
Need some advice guys before I rip open a floor light I just brought home. This is the light

http://www.diy.com/departments/teiger-cylinder-ivory-floor-lamp/754692_BQ.prd

So I brought home 3 bulbs to try as B&Q told me it's ok to return any. I need this lamp to push out enough light to illuminate this far corner of my hallway which is quite dark and it'll be placed where you can see the little lamp. The new floorstander is in the box lying down in the pic.

20161104_191904.jpg

Which of these bulbs do you think might be the best if any? I think these cylinder lamps are more intended to be decorative than bright. I found a very high lumens of 2285 although maybe the 1521 lumens will be sufficient?

20161104_191656.jpg

Soldato
Needn't have worried, the 1521 lumens put amazing light out through this lamp! Both the warm and cool look good but I much prefer the cool white. Only the warm is dimmable though. Does anyone know of a dimmable LED bulb cool white around 1500 lumens? Also, as my lamp doesn't have a dimmer switch, will a plug in dimmer like this work with LED bulbs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plug-in-D...010153?hash=item51ddd40329:g:jIQAAOSwr7ZW5vA7

Soldato
I found the only dimmable cool white light there is, but quite expensive. Don't understand why there aren't more dimmable cool white bulbs.

OSRAM LED bulb E27 dimmable 1522 lumens Superstar Classic A / 15W - 100-watt replacement, LED bulb-shaped light / matt, cool white - 4000K £14.99

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Merlin5 another dimmable cooler e27 - too cool ?
(Have bought gu10 crees from this company before )
not sure if getting an e27 to b22 convertor might give more choice ?

Soldato
I've bought some DIALL bulbs in the past from B&Q na dhave been fine.

They now have a great LED selection and 4000K!!! Which is excellent. Bought about 5 E27 bulbs at the weekend and going back to get another 5 to sort the lamps and have some spare.

Still need to find a nice dimmable 4000K E27 bulb thought.

Back
Top Bottom