LED Bulb Thread

Associate
If anyone is looking for 50W MR16 replacements then these Philips are almost perfect: http://www.lighting.philips.com/mai...ps/corepro-ledspot-lv/929001240502_EU/product

I say almost as the warm white is more of a very warm white. Certainly not unpleasant but if they were 3000k, they'd probably be just about right. Hoping they eventually produce a 3000k version. Still, they produce plenty of light and don't flicker or buzz with the transformer in the kitchen.

Man of Honour
Finally got parents to swap out their halogen GU10s for 3.6w LEDs in their kitchen. Far less power and heat and wider spread so don't get the shadow lines of the current spots :cool:

Soldato
Bought a LED screw bulb from ASDA other week. Didn't realise the colour temp chart, it's way too cool and bright for a cosy living room.

No wonder it was reduced. :rolleyes:

Soldato
not having much luck with google :( whats some of the best high cri led's? most of the stuff i found is a few years old, philips L bulb for example. after a couple for my bedroom/pc room, as i sometimes do photo stuff the cri would matter somewhat :p

If you are still looking for cri 90+ , picked up some Hyperikon B22 4K from Amazon - reasonable USA reviews and Amazon warranty.

EDIT: MAYBE SOME LEDS ARE NOT SO GREAT.

purchased the above leds Hyperikon B22 4K - they seem to interfere with FM radio reception which seems to be an acknowledged led problem
according to google so not now sure what European Standard I should be looking for to avoid this.
will probably return these to Amazon

Last edited:
Soldato
the problem with Hyperikon led bulbs;

an older cfl philips genie gives zero fm radio interference, interference continues even at 6meters
I am intrigued if wifi speed would be impacted too

will post that on amazon review/return.
Bulb does have a CE stamp

Last edited:
Soldato
yes the 4K bulb is nice, and better than the harsher 5K+ was previoulsy using in kitchen, had been using a more expensive cree bulbs,
only available in 2.7k & 5K+ for reliability vs other bulbs that had failed.
It does not matter as much if the newer £2-3 bulbs are less reliable, indeed not very clear if there are any compromises with latest generation -
is the prices just economy of scale and reduced manufacturing cost ?

Thought this US article was interesting -
a. dimmable bulbs typically going yellower at lower output
b. Installing higher cri bulbs in dining areas so you can see food in correct colour.

The higher cri 90+ hyperikon brand seem good (amazon replacing the ones I had with fm interference), but have not got a screwfix bulb cri 80 to compare them with, I would like to know if the higher cri genuinely have red leds in them and less (sleep disturbing) UV/blue frequencies.

Caporegime
Just to add. I quite like the aurora m7 3000k

I have two circuits. One on normal bulbs and one on dimmable. The dimmable keep there temperature well, on the same circuit I have a pendant lamp with a Phillips bulb in. This goes much warmer when dimmed

Man of Honour
on a whim i bought a gu5.3 LED bulb from tesco to try out as the existing one blew and it was only £4 - I've been thinking about changing all 10 or so gu5.3s around the house for built in units (or gu10s and holders, not sure which yet) but as the driver seems to work with this bulb is it worth doing?

also has anyone used LED G9 bulbs they can recomend?

Caporegime
Just to add. I quite like the aurora m7 3000k

I have two circuits. One on normal bulbs and one on dimmable. The dimmable keep there temperature well, on the same circuit I have a pendant lamp with a Phillips bulb in. This goes much warmer when dimmed

Is it a DimTone lamp :p

Soldato
on a whim i bought a gu5.3 LED bulb from tesco to try out as the existing one blew and it was only £4 - I've been thinking about changing all 10 or so gu5.3s around the house for built in units (or gu10s and holders, not sure which yet) but as the driver seems to work with this bulb is it worth doing?

also has anyone used LED G9 bulbs they can recomend?

I bought a 4 pack of Ascher G9 bulbs (warm white 2800k) from Amazon back in April. I used one to replace a halogen bulb in my desk light which liked to blow every now and again.

It does the job, uses 5watts instead of 35/40w. The light colour gives my spare bedroom/computer room a nice feel in the evening and it doesn't pump out a ton of heat either.

Never heard of the brand, but they work.

Soldato
I recently picked up a new light fitting for the living room with 4x LED GU10's in/with it, and it's ok but after using it a bit I'm looking to get some different bulbs so thought I'd ask here.

The current bulbs are 3.5W 'warm white' with a 36 degree beam angle, I find the beams a bit narrow (clear light/dark 'areas') as well as wanting some brighter but dimmable ones to then hook up a z-wave dimmer to the system.

After a bit of looking I've found these: https://www.brightlightz.co.uk/gu10-7w-led-bulb-with-29-x-5050-smd-chips-50w-60w-halogen

Did see some brighter ones (9-10W) but they all seemed to be narrower beam angle and/or non-dimmable, but this one seems to fit the bill especially with a claimed 120 degree beam angle.

Has anyone used "brightlightz" and/or these bulbs before, or any other suggestions?

Not entirely sure what beam angle I need/would be acceptable either, the light fitting is the 4 bulbs in a line but obviously each holder is adjustable, the room is 4.7m x 3.15m

Soldato
Are the GU10 embedded/recessed lights less 'efficient' than the a larger exposed B22 GLS bulbs ?
... although the lumen total maybe correct with the GU10's the less regular coverage (high intensity centre of spot) of the lit area would seem
to demand multiple bulbs, in my case 6*40W equivalent, whereas a single 60W b22 bulb would be just as efficient providing same uniformity of illumination & minimal shadows.
The smaller form factor of the gu10 with the limited space for mounting smd bulbs maybe part of the issue - so are gu10 form over function ?

Maybe Led T8 tubes are the ideal, and commercial solution ?

Associate
Just got 20 replacement 6.5W MR16's from ledhut to replace the halogens. Not impressed, these will be going back - They flicker like crazy.
I transferred an existing Osram MR16 led from the kitchen to where I installed these new ones and no flicker whatsoever.

Off to the wholesalers tomo for some decent led lamps.

Associate
Any tips on an LED strip to light the inside of my shed?

I got a 6m run of 3528 LEDs with 60LEDs/meter which was just far too dim to be of any use.

Is it worth trying a strip of 5050 LEDs or should I just get a 30W 6ft batten? Have a 70W batten currently which is ok, but ideally the LED strip would help to light up the dark corners.

Associate
Just got 20 replacement 6.5W MR16's from ledhut to replace the halogens. Not impressed, these will be going back - They flicker like crazy.
I transferred an existing Osram MR16 led from the kitchen to where I installed these new ones and no flicker whatsoever.

Off to the wholesalers tomo for some decent led lamps.

Screwfix MR16's are good (indistinguishable from Philips)

Soldato
Can anyone recommend some decent dimmable MR16 and GU10's?

I got some from Amazon a while back to gradually replace quite a lot of halogens in the house, and the flickering is pretty bad on certain sockets. Plus the colour temp isn't ideal, it's a bit greeney. I think I need something warmer.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom