LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
It's not really fair to compare prices though at face value?!
Before it's a fair comparison you first need to divide the price of the LED lights by at LEAST 10 (Most Halogens last 5-10k hours) then you need to add into the equation how much energy is saved.
Once you have done all that LED lights are actually massively cheaper in the long run :)

Yeah, but you have to be realistic. Paying a tenner a bulb because it lasts 25 years instead of a couple of years doesn't necessarily make sense.

I've just made those numbers up, but you need to actually see the return in a reasonable timeframe.

Soldato

I fail to see how they are as bright as 50W halogen when it's only a 1.4W LED :confused:
The 9W (3x3W Rotundity CREE) lights I bought are a fair comparison to a 50W halogen so unless B&Q have some magic LED's I don't know about I'm very sceptical on their true brightness :p

Yeah, but you have to be realistic. Paying a tenner a bulb because it lasts 25 years instead of a couple of years doesn't necessarily make sense.

I've just made those numbers up, but you need to actually see the return in a reasonable timeframe.

You shouldn't be paying more than £7 for the best dimmable 100-150k Rotundity CREE LED lights and depending on how much you use them you would most likely see a return within 2-3 years due to the fact they are 90+% more efficient than halogens :) (Plus you're looking more like 30-40 years life with normal usage :eek: )

Associate
Why do you need to see the return in a reasonable time frame? Or rather, what is a reasonable time frame?

When I move house I will take my "expensive" LED bulbs with me and leave cheap halogens behind for the buyers, so my LEDs will still be with me in 20+ years time.

Also, not sure which GU10s you bought from B&Q, but I bought a pack of 3 from there for a tenner and they are ****. Very green light, poor viewing angle, and not very bright. If you spend £5+ on an LED GU10 then you'll get a really nice light, good colour temp and viewing angle :D

Caporegime
I fail to see how they are as bright as 50W halogen when it's only a 1.4W LED :confused:
The 9W (3x3W Rotundity CREE) lights I bought are a fair comparison to a 50W halogen so unless B&Q have some magic LED's I don't know about I'm very sceptical on their true brightness :p

They are nowhere near as bright. It says on the website they are only 85lumens, a 50W halogen is more like 800lumens.

Soldato
Well I popped in to my local B&Q and they had a display with lots of different led GU10 lamps. The ones that are £10 for three is shown on the right - the one to the left is a 5w jobby - quite a bit of difference I'm sure you'll agree! I didn't bother getting any as I can't see how that could be brighter than the 50w halogens I have at the moment.

IMAG07411.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I tried to find GU10 LED replacements a couple of years ago but failed. All the ones I tried were without exception hideous, cold and artificial. Are any now available that exactly match standard 50w halogens for output/colour temp?

Soldato

We have 4 spotlights in our kitchen and in the last year and a bit we have been through 3 sets of lights.

Cheapo set from tesco laster a few months, another more expensive set from B&Q lasted a bit longer but still less than 6 months and then went for a set of Osram ones for £12 which 2 of them have blown in less than 6 months and the other 2 are looking like they might go soon.

I could have bought a set of LED ones from the start and would have some change left over. Thats in just over a year. Add to that the saving in energy as well and it makes a lot of sense.

Only thing I'm a bit concerned about is if they will be bright enough, so I have just ordered one for now to try. If its decent i will grab another 3. The Warm white leds I installed under my cabinets look great, so hoping these will be as good if not better.

Soldato
Bought mr16 replacements during the week, they stated the bulb was slightly long than a normal mr16, the led bulb bulges were, so after a slight adjustment to the retaining spring i fitted four on our upstairs landing.
Nice light, appears slightly brighter than the halogens it replaced, 4.5 watt each, light colour very acceptable, certain warm not cold, wife suggested a hint of red to it.

http://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk...w-halogen-400-lumens-2-colours-available.html

Was the bulbs imtried, might buy a few from other places as well to compare, but at 7.50 a bulb, these seemed to ne among the cheapest yet brightest available.
That alteration to the fitting retainer metal hoop was easy, but some folks might not be able to do it.

Soldato
Yep, I installed 12 :eek: dimmable Rotundity CREE GU10's when I was doing the electrics in my rents new conservatory.
Very well built, bright and 100k life:eek:
Expensive but you get what you pay for and these badboys will no doubt out-last me! lol

These are the ones I bought: (Link embedded in photo)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GU10-MR16...ng_SM&var=&hash=item256ab2e274#ht_5516wt_1164

Do you know what degree those bulbs spread the light over? I need some but as they are going quite high up I need them not to spread the light too much.

Soldato
but at 7.50 a bulb, these seemed to ne among the cheapest yet brightest available

Errrr not really :confused:
They use cheap generic LEDs, Non-Dimmable, only 400 Luminous Flux and worse of all only 30k mtbf!

On the link I provided you can get proper Rotundity CREE LEDs, Dimmable, 480-580 Luminous Flux and 100k MTBF! All for £6.30

Do you know what degree those bulbs spread the light over? I need some but as they are going quite high up I need them not to spread the light too much.

45-60 degrees

Excuse my ignorance but what are SMD?

SMD = SurfaceMountDevice

SMD Resistor
lOE95.jpg

SMD Capacitor
cyQ9u.jpg

SMD transistor
HXIx3.jpg

SMD Diode
hyzNJ.jpg

SMD Light Emitting Diode (LED)
ue4CA.jpg

LLtlj.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
When ever I go to HK I always pick up a couple of these.

imag02881.jpg

I've changed this throughout my entire house and it gives a day light white in all the rooms. Some people like it, some people don't.

I don't think these are LEDs, but gas filled charged????

Anyway I did a quick search on the bay and not seen these online. Anyone know much about these?

EDIT: Found some details, http://www.starwise.com.hk/index.ph...With_Hexagonal_Plastic_Body&c=3&pp=1&p=3&ph=l

Don't know how these are so damn bright but not the same as LED technology.

Last edited:
Soldato
Errrr not really :confused:
They use cheap generic LEDs, Non-Dimmable, only 400 Luminous Flux and worse of all only 30k mtbf!

On the link I provided you can get proper Rotundity CREE LEDs, Dimmable, 480-580 Luminous Flux and 100k MTBF! All for £6.30

]

Shop in Hong Kong, how do you know what you are getting?
Is cree a type or a manufacturer?
I do not want dimmable, but these work fine in no dimmable transformers also do they?
Shame delivery is weeks away.

Where do you see the mtbf figures for those bulbs also, is that on packaging or the web advert?

Ah i see the expandable thingy with the info.
S its is 3*3watt, so twice the energy of the bulbs i bought, the bulbs that are already as bright as i need. Okay.
Might give this place a shot for a few bulbs, amd some other places too, but I liked the very low usage of the ones I bought.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shop in Hong Kong, how do you know what you are getting?
Is cree a type or a manufacturer?
I do not want dimmable, but these work fine in no dimmable transformers also do they?
Shame delivery is weeks away...

After reading this thread I have the same questions as above, also

Many places say that even LED warm light is not quite like halogen light as its too yellow

Soo many types on the bay - are Rotundity definitely the ones to go for? Are they better quality than philips?

I want to change my 7 halogens in the kitchen but not sure if the 3x3w will be the reliable (non flicker) light colour equivalent :confused:

Back
Top Bottom