LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Hey guys. Quick question to all the led bulb techies.. How can I tell if my light fittings will power led bulbs? I got mr16 spotlights. About ten of them. Can I buy one bulb to test if it works? Then buy more once I know it powers up? I'm gonna place an order with ledhut, but I don't wanna buy ten to find out I need a transformer to go with it :p

Edit. The house is a new build, and the kitchen already has 15 gu10 led bulbs in place. So in theory the whole house should be led ready?

If it is GU10 then they are all on 240V, so there are no transformers, it is MR16 bulbs that need adequate transformers, so yes, if all is GU10, then you can swap at will.

Soldato
The lights I'm looking to change are MR16. I bought a single led light from b&q. Took all my halogens out of the sockets, fitted the single 4.5w led bulb and switched the light switch on, the led light turned on, with no flickering or turning on and off etc. So my assumption is my transformers are good for 12v low wattage bulbs? The single led sat there switched on for an hour with no flickering or issues etc

Soldato
Has anyone got any ideas how to go about lighting my garage with leds? I have 1x100w incandescent currently which isn't enough light. It's not a big garage so I was considering a florescent tube or maybe some high power led strips?

Soldato
Hi guys

I'm thinking about changing some of my energy saving bulbs to led, I'm new to all this so is it just a case of straight swap or am I missing something?

It seems rather technical in here.

Thanks

Associate
Nothing to it really. I'd advise if your wanting like for like go for Warm White bulbs. Anything else will give you a different colour. I'd say if possible set 5W bulbs as the lowest. I have 9W bulbs to replace the 60W bulbs in my lounge. They aren't as bright as the 60W but will do fine.
Replacing all bulbs can be expensive so replace your most used bulbs first IMO.

Soldato
Thanks, I was thinking warm white but just wasn't sure what wattage to get as ledhut have quite a range with some new bulbs as low as 4.5w.

I might start of with just a few to see how they are, what would you guys suggest preferably from ledhut to light a largish staircase/hallway ?

I have two lights in this area, one light covers a biggish area and another a fairly small corridor.

thanks

Suspended
Thanks, I was thinking warm white but just wasn't sure what wattage to get as ledhut have quite a range with some new bulbs as low as 4.5w.

I might start of with just a few to see how they are, what would you guys suggest preferably from ledhut to light a largish staircase/hallway ?

I have two lights in this area, one light covers a biggish area and another a fairly small corridor.

thanks

I think 4W LED = 40W old type. Check the details and they should list the equivalency rating.

Soldato
Hi there,

Refurbishing my entire house at the moment, swapped out some of the GU10s for LED in the last house so know a little but since then COB are on the scene.

Is it a case of COB is better and to go for it? If not, why/when?

Also, anybody have a Manrose Showerlite in their bathroom? It's an extractor fan duct with lamp mounted in the middle. I had one in my last place but with a standard 12v MR16. I'd like to fit one in this house but go LED and match the LED exactly with the 5 other bathroom ceiling spots.

LEDHut have a 4.5W MR16 bulb that looks like it'd fit. The 6W looks much physically longer. So thinking the 6W may not fit/protrude from the showerlite. Worried that 5 x 6W and 1 x 4.5W may look a bit odd and the 4.5W out of place.

I skimmed this thread and thought the consensus is to go 6W in the bathroom?

Would 4.5W x 6 be sufficient do you think? Small bathroom, only 2m x 2m.

Also, has anybody purchased the IP65 light fittings from LedHut, any good?

Soldato
Does anyone have a recommendation for PIR LED floodlights, to replace 400W halogens. Need similar light output.

They need to have double-click control, so they can be forced on also.

Seem very thin on the ground!

Associate
Looking to put some LED strips in the kitchen to replace the current under-counter halogens which are forever blowing bulbs. Could just go with 5050 Warm White but also considering 5050 RGB ones.

However, since they will be powered with the main kitchen lights this means that the LED controllers will be powered off each time the main kitchen lights are off. Do these sort of RGB LED controllers remember settings each time they are powered on and off?

Suspended
I just wasted a bit of money buying a strip of LEDs to go under my kitchen work tops. I wanted them to replace the existing tube lamps, they do not produce enough light.
This is what I bought. Ill likely find another use for them so cant really say I wasted the money.

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-...roof-led-strip-lighting-kit-5-metre-roll.html

So I don't make any more mistakes money id like some advice please!

I've looked at these

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-strip-...arm-white-best-price-on-the-internet-237.html

Are they likely to give me enough light to work at the kitchen tops when they are on? Do I need a 36w psu to power them i.e. the one linked below or do I need more output from a psu? Ill need all 2.5m to be powered.

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/drivers-fi...nsformers/36-watt-led-transformer-driver.html

I had the same problem. B&Q own brand are perfect.

Soldato
I made the switch to GU10 LED's about 18 months ago when having a load of work carried out to my bungalow.
Over the course of the last three months I've had three bulbs fail on me which I'm a little disappointed about, as I thought they would last longer than that.

I never really paid attention or carried out my own research to the bulbs the electriction installed for me. These are the bulbs I currently have, I managed to track down replacement bulbs - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZFAF6Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=10C49TMJQBKS6K780QZW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577047927&pf_rd_i=desktop

What I'm looking to find out is wither these are any good or are they just cheap and nasty? Would I be better to replace the lot with these GU10's from LEDHut - http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/new-4-5-watt-gu10-led-350-lumens.html

Am I right in thinking that the GU10's from LEDHut will give me a brighter and wider spread of light, compared to what I have this now?

Associate
Just wondering what all of you LED lovers think of the Philips MASTER LED range? I am using a 18w 100w equivlent in my living room, its nice and bright, but had some issues with it randomly turning off and on.

Anyone had issue with these?

I am tempted to get a couple of more, maybe the 13w 75w equiv for the kitchen or dining room?

Are these just over priced?

Soldato
I never really paid attention or carried out my own research to the bulbs the electriction installed for me. These are the bulbs I currently have, I managed to track down replacement bulbs - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AZFAF6Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=10C49TMJQBKS6K780QZW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577047927&pf_rd_i=desktop

What I'm looking to find out is wither these are any good or are they just cheap and nasty? Would I be better to replace the lot with these GU10's from LEDHut - http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/new-4-5-watt-gu10-led-350-lumens.html

Am I right in thinking that the GU10's from LEDHut will give me a brighter and wider spread of light, compared to what I have this now?

A quick look at the specs shows that the LEDhut ones have a beam angle of 120 degrees while those dodgy looking chinese ones are 45 degrees.

I've just replaced my kitchen bulbs with the daylight variation of those LEDhut ones and they certainly have a much better spread than the halogens I had in there before.

I wouldn't recommend going for the cool white though - the daylight ones are ok for the kitchen, but I got a "cool white" golf-ball for the bathroom and it makes the room look like a lab!

Quidco are currently doing 15% off and 20% cashback at LEDHut until Sunday

Back
Top Bottom