Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
So today I got delivered a new cable, KabelDirekt – 3m – DisplayPort cable, DP 1.4, VESA-certified.
I have unplugged the USB from Monitor to PC because I have a feeling it might be that software bugging out giving me black screens. Anyway I have played two full games of League of legends and almost an hour Mordhau no black screens :D

The cable I was using before was also VESA cert but I couldn't find the info on the VESA website. The cable was CABLEMATTERS DP 1.4 3m but I can tell you now the build quality difference between these two cables the Kabeldirkt is so much better.

So hopefully this as fixed my issue, I play like this 144hz 4k for a few days or a week and if no black screen I will start by either installing the Monitor USB again or setting 160hz and play more.

The only reason I do not think this is a monitor issue and why I not sending back yet is because it only happens when playing games.

Associate
What’s everyone’s brightness settings with hdr off ? As I’ve tried the suggested brightness at 8 and I’m thinking it’s too dark when normal browsing.
Since day one I’ve had hdr always on, is it best to turn it off and just switch it on when gaming ?
ouch that sounds really low....I'm on gamer mode 2 with HDR off and i think the default for that is 100% brightness!

Associate
ouch that sounds really low....I'm on gamer mode 2 with HDR off and i think the default for that is 100% brightness!

I know with hdr on all settings are maxed out,
With hdr off what have you set your brightness to within the monitor settings ?

plus I have this monitor plus last years model side by side and have the usb connected at the back of monitor to pc and whatever I do I can not update the firmware etc,

Last edited:
Associate
I know with hdr on all settings are maxed out,
With hdr off what have you set your brightness to ?

plus I have this monitor plus last years model side by side and have the usb connected at the back of monitor to pc and whatever I do I can not update the firmware etc,
I have the brightness set to 100 with hdr off. no USB connected here.

i dont think that there are any new firmware versions for the GP yet... but im also unsure if that update requires USB connection or if it can be done via the displayport connection.
Anyone able to shed light here?

Associate
I have the brightness set to 100 with hdr off. no USB connected here.

i dont think that there are any new firmware versions for the GP yet... but im also unsure if that update requires USB connection or if it can be done via the displayport connection.
Anyone able to shed light here?
Thankyou for your reply,
So it doesn’t matter if hdr is on or off, the brightness via the monitor setting is at 100 ?

Soldato
So a few more days with the new DP cable and I haven't had the black screen. I have however made another change and that is not installed the USB cable from the monitor to my PC. I want to game like this for a week or so before I start messing with something else, its easier to bug check when you have things under control.

I do still wonder though how is it a black screen while only playing a game could happen? I mean if the cable was at fault why would it not happen when say on the desktop? It never once did it on the desktop.

Associate
So a few more days with the new DP cable and I haven't had the black screen. I have however made another change and that is not installed the USB cable from the monitor to my PC. I want to game like this for a week or so before I start messing with something else, its easier to bug check when you have things under control.

I do still wonder though how is it a black screen while only playing a game could happen? I mean if the cable was at fault why would it not happen when say on the desktop? It never once did it on the desktop.
So an interesting turn of events with my monitor.

I'd put 85 hours through it without a single black screen issue while gaming. That includes playing various games for several hours at a time (7 Days to Die, The Wild Eight, Workers & Resources, Toki Tori). Tonight i played Night of the Dead for about an hour or so and two black screens for a brief second near the hour mark and an hour 15. Before today not a single issue, nothing has changed on my side.

Man of Honour
Probably not the issue here but I've encountered a small number of monitors over the years (mostly AOC) where there seems to be a glitch with power saving on the audio circuitry causing periodic momentary black screens or the image to periodically "pop" like degaussing on an old CRT which can be solved by turning the monitor audio volume to zero in its OSD or if it exists turning audio off in the OSD.

Soldato

I'd put 85 hours through it without a single black screen issue while gaming. That includes playing various games for several hours at a time (7 Days to Die, The Wild Eight, Workers & Resources, Toki Tori). Tonight i played Night of the Dead for about an hour or so and two black screens for a brief second near the hour mark and an hour 15. Before today not a single issue, nothing has changed on my side.

:(

This is something I didn't want to hear.

Hopefully in your case this is just a one off.

Soldato
Probably not the issue here but I've encountered a small number of monitors over the years (mostly AOC) where there seems to be a glitch with power saving on the audio circuitry causing periodic momentary black screens or the image to periodically "pop" like degaussing on an old CRT which can be solved by turning the monitor audio volume to zero in its OSD or if it exists turning audio off in the OSD.

Will have a look later thanks.

They definitely seems to be an strange issue going on with this monitor.

Permabanned

Sorry if already said, but have you managed to rule out the GPU driver crashing?

Soldato
Sorry if already said, but have you managed to rule out the GPU driver crashing?

If its like mine the GPU driver definitely doesn't crash.
I have performance monitor running logging the GPU and it doesn't change when the display goes black not even a single frame drop and you can still hear the game playing for the few seconds without display.

Associate
Thanks for documenting your issues guys - ive been tempted to try and get one of these through alternative means but seeing as you're all having trouble I figure its best to wait until somewhere that actually sells with UK warranty has stock...

...see you in three months.

Associate
:(

This is something I didn't want to hear.

Hopefully in your case this is just a one off.
Yeah it was completely out of the blue considering it has been solid since unboxing. I'm going to focus gaming on Night of the Dead because that is the only game that has shown the issue. If i get another black screen then i'll swap back to my usual games and compare.

I've seen mentioned about LFC and editing the Freesync range using Custom Resolution Utility (CRU). Upping the range at the bottom end does seem to fix similar issues for some.

As @shankly1985 mentioned i don't think it is in this case as i didn't see any blip in my MSI AB graphs but i'll double check that if it does it again.

Associate
I’m having a nightmare trying to get the LG software to recognise that my monitor is connected so I can mess around with the setting and lighting,
Do you have to use the usb cable that was included ? And leave it connected always.

Back
Top Bottom