Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Can someone recommend a 3m DP cable for use with this and a 3080 please?... too many to choose from on Amazon.

Edit:
Actually, why would I use a DP cable over an HDMI 2.1 when DP tops out at 32.4Gbs and HDMI is 48Gbs?...i think that's the correct figures.

Last edited:
Associate
My monitor arrived yesterday. I've set it up this morning, but I'm having an issue with it.

I have it connected to my PC via DisplayPort. When I boot the PC, it just says that no signal is detected. I have to fully power off both the PC and monitor, power on the PC and boot it up, then power on the monitor, then it works fine, however, if I restart the PC or shut it down and boot it back up, it can't detect a signal again.

I'm using an MSI 780 Ti GAMING 3G graphics card, which I know is quite old, but it supports a max resolution of 4,096 x 2,160 @ 60Hz over DisplayPort. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. All of the cables are securely connected.

I don't understand why it only works when I do things in that one specific order. Anyone got any ideas?

Soldato
My monitor arrived yesterday. I've set it up this morning, but I'm having an issue with it.

I have it connected to my PC via DisplayPort. When I boot the PC, it just says that no signal is detected. I have to fully power off both the PC and monitor, power on the PC and boot it up, then power on the monitor, then it works fine, however, if I restart the PC or shut it down and boot it back up, it can't detect a signal again.

I'm using an MSI 780 Ti GAMING 3G graphics card, which I know is quite old, but it supports a max resolution of 4,096 x 2,160 @ 60Hz over DisplayPort. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. All of the cables are securely connected.

I don't understand why it only works when I do things in that one specific order. Anyone got any ideas?

On the monitor settings you might need to select DisplayPort Version 1.2

By default I think its set to 1.4 DSC

Associate
Hi, some of my settings are grayed out and I can't access them. Currently I am running the screen with the PS5, Gamer 1 and OSD Lock is off. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. Thanks

This is due to you are running in HDR mode. If you switch off HDR in your PS5 settings then the other settings become available.

Associate
So having had this monitor since June, my advice to anyone considering buying it, is don't.

I got my GP950 in the first batch that OC received and initially was very happy with it; looked great and worked great, but that unfortunately didn't last and the service regarding my problems has been poor.

The issues

After a few weeks the monitor started developing two issues:

1. During gaming, the screen would intermittently go completely black for a few seconds, before coming back on and the 'HDR' notification would appear in the top right. Sometimes this would happen once a night, sometimes it would happen every 3 minutes for an hour.
2. The second issue was even more alarming; the left hand side of the panel, in certain areas during gaming, would for a few frames show a white fuzzy section - this would occur fairly often and over time, appeared to be getting worse.

e8rN937.jpg.png

What happened next?

I suffered a few days of the issues, tried various cables, different ports, extensively tested my PC to make sure the issues wasn't there and just hoped (naively) that it might resolve itself, alas it didn't and it was obvious I needed to do something about it.

I received the monitor on 15/06 and raised a ticked with OC on 17/07, 2 days outside of OC's 30-day return window, so the response from them (specifically Bryn A) was to immediately kick it away and say I should contact LG... not particularly great customer service. It being fairly apparent that OC wanted nothing to do with it, I got in touch with LG, who much to their credit, arranged to collect the monitor.

LG picked the monitor up on 23/7 and I had it back, allegedly repaired, by 28/7 - a good turnaround. They advised they'd changed the LCD panel.

I then used the monitor and for a time it seemed to be ok; occasionally the black screen HDR issue would happen, but I was starting to think that might be a firmware issue which might get patched at some point.

I then was in the froes of moving home, so my whole set up was packed away for a few weeks.

The return

Roll on a few weeks and I'm in my new place, PC set up again and I start using the monitor in earnest again.

Firstly, the Black screen HDR issue started getting worse, becoming more often. Then the left hand panel started having issues again; seemed to be a single frame now and again, but you'd notice it without seeing it as it was so fleeting. I did manage to video it and get a screen grab.

qUJrHV6.jpg.png

Usually seeing something like that would make me think GPU; but it only occurs on this monitor (using my second screen with the same DP cable/port - no issues at all) and it only happens on the left hand side of the panel.

Where next

At this point, understandably frustrated that a £700 monitor is faulty, despite one attempt to fix it, I got back in touch with LG and send OCUK another ticket. Admittedly, I wasn't expecting much from OC given their reluctance to help with the issue originally, but after two days they've been even less helpful this time round and not even bothered replying... LG for their part, I called them and after the conversation starting fairly well, they said they could look at having it uplifted and effectively approve a refund via OC, but during the course of the call decided they'd instead rather have a second attempt at repairing it. Given their failure the first time round, I'm less than hopeful. I pushed for the uplift and supposedly it'll be escalated and they'll get back to me - I'm still waiting to hear back...

I understand my opinion is somewhat skewed by what is effectively bad luck getting a defective unit, but I could have accepted that had the response to resolving the issue been better. My warning not to buy this stems more from the fact you might get a defective unit and be in a position whereby you have to deal with OC and LG's customer service and woe be you at that point, should that misfortune befall you...

Associate
That sucks dude!

The issue you are seeing - i have seen very similar on my Acer XB27HK monitor. Effects them all - apparently (the Acers) - half a corrupt frame randomly. Apparently an issue with the g-sync implementation. I've seen nothing like that on my LG as yet.

I had to return an item (not the monitor) to OCUK and it was a matter of hours outside the 30 days - they sent it to the manufacturer and i'm still waiting for news.

I wonder if this black screen issue is HDR signal related. I've not seen it - but i have noticed the black when it flips in and out of HDR mode while loading a game and was wondering if that is what people are seeing - as in the HDRness getting lost and found in some circumstances.

Associate
Ok so I noticed somethign this week. Do you guys who have experienced black screens have MSI afterburner?? I started getting black screens randomly after I installed it, so I took it off and I haven't had any for weeks then I reinstalled afterburner tonight and i had the black screen thing 10 mins later in game.

Soldato
Ok so I noticed somethign this week. Do you guys who have experienced black screens have MSI afterburner?? I started getting black screens randomly after I installed it, so I took it off and I haven't had any for weeks then I reinstalled afterburner tonight and i had the black screen thing 10 mins later in game.

No afterburner here.

Soldato
Can some of you with black screens try running games only in borderless mode and not full screen.

And do any of you guys with the black screens only run games in full screen mode like myself?

Soldato
Also has it got to the point now this voting has become trolling? It seems I see every day a vote for yes following by a no.

It's very frustrating seeing people vote yes without even coming in here with some experience to add.

Associate
Also has it got to the point now this voting has become trolling? It seems I see every day a vote for yes following by a no.

It's very frustrating seeing people vote yes without even coming in here with some experience to add.
There isn't an option to view the results without voting which probably explains it. It needs a show results button or voting option.

Soldato
There isn't an option to view the results without voting which probably explains it. It needs a show results button or voting option.

True I think ocuk should only allow users to vote on a thread that has some input into that thread.

Obviously would require more work from ocuk IT department but this results is now very misleading.

And we know at one point the amount of yes was much higher than no.

Associate
Thank you

True I think ocuk should only allow users to vote on a thread that has some input into that thread.

Obviously would require more work from ocuk IT department but this results is now very misleading.

And we know at one point the amount of yes was much higher than no.
It is what it is and has probably served its purpose now. It has shown it isn't an isolated issue at a roughly 50 / 50 split, even while not accurate its a rough indicator :)

Back
Top Bottom