1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Stu, Mar 21, 2018.

1. H-P

Associate

Hi there,

I would advice you to take a picture from a little more distance to get a more realistic picture of the glow and backlight bleed. I'm in the same boat as you. I bought this monitor and I also have bleed and glow, especially in the lower left corner which is only visible on dark content and black (loading) screens. During gameplay it leaves a soft/brighter spot sometimes. It is more obvious because the glow is visible when looking from the right and seems to "start" from the lower left corner.

I must say that the bleed in other corners (lower right corner) on your monitor does look a bit much as well, but this is again highly dependent on the photo, lighting and brightness of the monitor. I'll try and post a picture of my monitor for comparison soon.

2. 7r1pm1n3

Associate

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I think I can accept the other 3 corners, it is mainly the lower left one I have a hard time accepting.
    The brightness have been on the standard 70. Not sure what's best, but I didn't go far with the calibration because of the glow/bleed taking my focus. I think you're right, it might actually be "IPS glow", but I'm not sure if it changes the situation so much. At least I have now heard examples of this monitor with and without the excessive light that I see in the lower left corner, so I guess it should be possible to get one without/with less.

And another picture for comparison could be great, thanks!

3. Bugbait

Gangster

A brightness of 70 is very high. I use 70 contrast with 17 brightness for day and night use. What's the bleed like when set to your normal usage levels?

4. musikos

Associate

look here on my post

i think i was lucky

5. 7r1pm1n3

Associate

The glow/bleed is still very visisble even on low brightness, not as much of course but very visible.

And thanks for the reference. That is indeed a good one you have there.

6. H-P

Associate

I'm using a brightness of 12 as it is much more pleasing to my eyes. But yes, the soft spot is also still very visible on dark content, such as the black bars while watching youtube. I play a lot of Battlefield 5 and when aiming using a scope (dark screen) the soft spot blends with the minimap, which shouldn't happen and is annoying. As it doesn't disappear by changing position, perspective or distance and the edges are the brightest, I suspect this is definitely an example of backlight bleed, maybe in combination with the IPS glow.

I already returned one of these monitors because of defective pixels. I'm thinking of returning this monitor as well unfortunately. This ultrawide is definitely amazing in every other aspect and I think the design of LG monitors is by far the most appealing compared to the competition, but these flaws trigger my OCD too much. I tried a lot of monitors over the last couple of years and thinking that buying a €1300 monitor would do the trick was naive maybe. :) Maybe I try again when this monitor drops in price.

7. ShadowR

Associate

I see two people mentioning a brightness of 17 and 15.

Is this out of 100.

Are you guys living in pitch black darkness or is this the norm to set the screen brightness so low ? My monitor is currently on 50. Stock was set to 70.

8. H-P

Associate

I used 12 out of 100 because it was the recommended OSD setting for 120 cd/m2 on tftcentral. A higher setting was far too bright for my eyes (and it reduces the perception of IPS glow and blb a bit), but it may be a personal preference and dependent on room lighting.

9. Quartz

Soldato

Yes.

Get yourself a colour calibration tool.

10. Thermo

Associate

I just received this monitor and am shocked at the condition it came in. This was originally sealed and did not look like it was used. It has smudges and blotches all of the screen. The blotches or spots will not come off. I can see these when I shine a light in front of the screen. This is clearly a quality control issue. See the photos below. Does anyone that owns this monitor have any of these visible?

I contacted LG and they want me to send it in so they can determine if this is a defect. Unbelievable! I have never owned a new monitor that came in this condition. I'm just sending it back for a replacement to the place I purchased it at.

http://i68.tinypic.com/1688sye.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2h3pjxk.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  11. JediFragger

Capodecina

@Daniel - LG you need to take note of the above issue, a bad reputation for QC is easy to get and hard to shake! That is totally awful @Thermo and would really put me off buying a new LG :(

12. Quartz

Soldato

If they're on top of the screen, they look like they might come off with alcohol. Too late now, of course.

13. Thermo

Associate

I was shocked at what I seen. I contacted LG and they told me to send it in and if the technician thinks this is a defect they would repair it. Are you kidding me??? Anyone that looks at this would say its some type of defect or quality control. I told then NO. This is a brand new monitor that has not been used yet and you are trying to repair it under warranty. I would then have to wait at least 3 or more weeks for the process.

I contacts the place of purchase and will be asking for an exchange. But I believe I have to pay the return shipping/insurance which I think is wrong.

This is my first LG products and my first impression is not good. I'm extremity disappointed.

14. Thermo

Associate

I have never used any alcohol products on my monitors. I always use a damp high quality microfiber cloth to wipe away dust. But I shouldn't have to on a brand new monitor anyway.

15. Cornholiooo

Associate

I had the exact same issue, including 2 scratches.

16. Thermo

Associate

Did you exchange the monitor and if so was the new one ok?
    Where did you purchase the monitor?

17. Cornholiooo

Associate

I only refunded the monitor. I purchased it on cyberport.de (Germany)

18. Daftbrown

Wise Guy

@Stu Did you go with one of these in the end?

I posted a little in the Alienware AW3418DW thread then bought one in July 2018. You were hanging on to compare with this LG as I remember...

19. eggcup

Wise Guy

Why is there so few of these around ? Are they only manufacturing 1 of them per day on the whole of the planet ?

20. JediFragger

Capodecina

Think he picked up an AW/X34P in the sales instead, these are just too much money in comparison (seems to be the way with LG and gaming monitors).