LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
Figures Sony would have looked into the brightness issue, that thermal management feature sounds interesting there were rumours of a heatsink on it also but different people got different replies when asked. Value electronics that US store were told Sonys 42 and 48" should get the heatsink but other media said nope.

Yeah Sony masterclass get the best quality panels lucky sods, there was one german site that had it on pre-order for May/June but it was £1750 once converted. I think @ 1.2k the C2 is far better value but lets see if its got a heatsink or much better brightness.

LGs Pixel density problem doesn't appear to be an issue for QD-OLEDs either.

Would not surprise me to see heatsinks, its there master series OLED this year. Indeed on the best panels, though part of the premium you pay. I think if I was sitting further away more brightness would be nice, but up close the C2 pumps out enough for me.

Agree, QD-OLED will be the next step when it comes in sizes I want, very exciting tech!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
HD doesn't have much to do with HDR.

SD 480p, HD 720/1080, UHD 2160p, all not relevant to colour and dynamic range.

I wish I could just stick with SDR, HDR, DV, if I play a tv series off plex it was coming up with picture mode Game optimised and other wrong settings.

So I now set up with HD content, filmmaker mode, sharpness 0, rest on default, now all my tv series which are pretty much in HD auto trigger with filmmaker kicking in and right settings.

Maybe its different for others who do streaming services, but I go the Plex way so maybe different. Ill have to set up SD, HD, HDR, DV in my case.

Ill post an issue I was noticing with blacks on default soon, I don't know if others get this or it was just me.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
@R3X When I want to setup values for specific content like SDR/HDR/DV etc I change the output on my device, the PS5 or Apple TV in my case and then apply the values.

Cheers, yeah I do the same but you know LGs now fixed this issue you can just run SDR/HDR etc on hdmi 1 and click apply to all hdmi sources and it will carry over the settings to hdmi 2,3,4 etc

It was Vincent at hdtv who lobbied for it to LG, took them a few years though.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Here is the issue I was referring to happens on any mode SDR,HD,HDR,DV etc, scene is from Jungle cruise 4K HDR10 via Plex latest build on Nvidia shield, 4.25 (this is with Energy off, Filmmaker mode, sharpness 0 or Phils or Vincents C1 guide settings)

LGs Black Level default @ 50%

MFS8OP.jpg

Same scene but 57% black level

MFSPqJ.jpg

If I watch it with default 50% black level, in person its far worse, you can't even see she is hiding in a room and no background or door even and her coat and hat merge in with the pitch surrounding black, basically you just see her white face and white top in this scene with picture defaults.

57% black and in person you see an actual room, hat, coat, buttons, clothes being worn, doors and background. The photo makes it look grey and worse then it appears, but in person its still inky blacks and detail remains.

I don't know if other 42 C2 owners noticed this issue with 50% black default but anyhow that is what I noticed. I do get very slight greyish blacks @ 57% but id rather have that then no black/dark level detail in scenes. Batwoman and other tv shows, movies are now watchable and excellent at least.

Associate
Hi folks, I popped by my local richer sounds store and found out that they have the 42C2 in stock but not yet in display. Nearly bought one out of impulse but I resisted and now I am reading on the net for info.

It seems that there are initial concerns about some panel lottery 'WBE' vs 'WBC' , old vs new oled display etc. To the folks who received their 42C2 does this bother you at all ?

I will be coming from a standard 27in 4k60 screen so the upgrade will be big regardless. Maybe I should stop reading through the fine details and just enjoy the screen upgrade? £1400 is pricey though but I will be looking at this screen majority of the day due to WFH + gaming PC/PS5. Figured it may be worth the upgrade it as my current screen is already showing a few faults.

Soldato
Hi folks, I popped by my local richer sounds store and found out that they have the 42C2 in stock but not yet in display. Nearly bought one out of impulse but I resisted and now I am reading on the net for info.

It seems that there are initial concerns about some panel lottery 'WBE' vs 'WBC' , old vs new oled display etc. To the folks who received their 42C2 does this bother you at all ?

I will be coming from a standard 27in 4k60 screen so the upgrade will be big regardless. Maybe I should stop reading through the fine details and just enjoy the screen upgrade? £1400 is pricey though but I will be looking at this screen majority of the day due to WFH + gaming PC/PS5. Figured it may be worth the upgrade it as my current screen is already showing a few faults.[

Don't really care about the WBC vs WBE, more so as it changes nothing from a visual perspective. They will be capped regardless, unlike on the bigger models where they can get brighter, 42" and 48" are being limited in that regards no matter then panel. If anything in some ways WBC is nicer as it does not have the pink tint! That said not bothered to check for pink tint closely to determine if its WBE etc.

Now the part may care about is the apparent longevity that may come as a result from WBE panels. Even then, hard to quantify really how it will play out. Seems 2019 panels onwards have become generally more resilient but until few more years go by hard to get actual information outside ad hoc cases. If I do get burn in, pretty okay with RS in the past so hopefully they are as solid, but we shall see. Also helps I suppose price was cheaper when I got mine and seem to have now increase!!!

My take on it, I cannot see any visual issues day in day out and overall love the upgrade is extremely impressive therefore enjoying it a lot. That said I do appreciate there are those who are sadly getting some duff panels it seems so those being sent back etc.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
On my 55CX (via Disney+ app) the scene looks fine at 50 brightness, hard to capture a pic of it though...

Cheers, could you see at 4.25 the door on left, fireplace on right and her hat and coat?

Could be something iffy with my end settings wise or its just the C2 default settings has some issue.

I don't have Disney+ to check

Associate
Yeah 30 sounds good for SDR. I was playing around a bit more with settings, I was getting confused with HD and HDR content. So its SD, HD, HDR and then Dolby Vision content I need to find and then fine tune and apply for all hdmi sources. I think I am ending up with a hybrid of Phils and Vincents and my own settings at this point. What is your black levels? I found 50 default was no good for me on HD and HDR so tried 57 to fix it but need to check this bit more.

On my 55CX black level is Auto, Low, High, when I'm on the PC my Picture mode is Game (User) - black level is High and Gamma is 2.2, OLED light 30, I found you can get high black level only if you don't use subsampling, it took me sometime to find the right black levels in gaming that I like by this way I don't see any dark grey:) also I only playing SDR games in a dark lit room as you know hope it helps;) I like Vincents too learn a lot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers, could you see at 4.25 the door on left, fireplace on right and her hat and coat?

Could be something iffy with my end settings wise or its just the C2 default settings has some issue.

I don't have Disney+ to check

On Disney plus find its visible but dark on Cinema home at 50. Coat is pretty visible, hat is harder to make out. Upping the black level does help make things visible but raises the entire black level floor making things look horrible tbh.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
On my 55CX black level is Auto, Low, High, when I'm on the PC my Picture mode is Game (User) - black level is High and Gamma is 2.2, OLED light 30, I found you can get high black level only if you don't use subsampling, it took me sometime to find the right black levels in gaming that I like by this way I don't see any dark grey:) also I only playing SDR games in a dark lit room as you know hope it helps;) I like Vincents too learn a lot.

On Disney plus find its visible but dark on Cinema home at 50. Coat is pretty visible, hat is harder to make out. Upping the black level does help make things visible but raises the entire black level floor making things look horrible tbh.

Cheers, its possible its just my end ill see if I can get disney plus, ill also get another version and reset plex and re-update fresh in case.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Thanks for the @Radox-0 That was very informative. Its was very easy to get sucked in to the details in the net that I may not even notice during use. Ill have a think and may be tomorrow ill be £1400 lighter lol

Its £1399 at Mr Curries site but if you add the code RECTV100 during final check out under make payment and redeem code it comes to £1299. Or maybe Mr Richer or Mr Lewis do a price match, its worth a call to find out, Rs usually more helpful.

No need to worry about the 'WBE' vs 'WBC' side of it, its not ideal but we still get the same exact picture quality and this is the best 42" TV on the market today.

Associate
My LG C2 42" arrived early this morning from John Lewis and I can't fault it. No issues with the panel at all and it looks fantastic, I've been using it with my Xbox Series X.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Bloody hell, so many issues. Surprised really, did not expect that from LG.

My Alienware QD-OLED luckily arrived fine and with no issues. Some people had theirs sent with boxes that were either wet or very bad shape.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No panel is perfect, and the Alienware is no exception in that regard.

Where did I say it was a perfect?

I already explained in the Alienware thread, in terms of text and resolution it is a downgrade for me. But in every other department it is a huge upgrade that I am will to look past those. I am slowly getting used to it now anyway. Games in particular that support HDR just look incredible on this. As Vincent says, it is the best gaming monitor :D

I do look forward to his 42” C2 review and comparison to the Alienware. The C2 is obviously awesome also, both have their strengths and weaknesses though.

Didn't know you got the C2?
I don’t. I was just surprised catching up with this thread the amount of up issues.

Back
Top Bottom