LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
It's not so much that third party manufacturers will cherry-pick (that implies they're willing to have panels they discard or use elsewhere), but that they are customers of LG Display. As customers they are then able to demand certain standards of quality/spec/tolerance are met for the products they buy. This might be different from one to the next e.g. Sony might demand a certain efficiency/brightness spec where Panasonic might demand a tighter colour uniformity. Point being, they can set different requirements than LG.

The flipside is, they are paying more per panel because a) they demand these standards and b) they are a customer, not a partner inside the same parent company. That's (one of the reasons) why Sony et al will charge more than LG for a device using the same panel.

slight nitpicking atmittedly but I believe LG (tv) is still a customer of LG Displays, it wont make any difference that they have the same parent company.
As you righty suggested, its about the tolerances etc that each customer requests - Sony and Panasonic have to have as many "differentiators" from each other as well as from LG TV option for the public

The separate question is whether the fact that LG (tv) is buying enough panels in total to get a better price than Sony/Panasonic due to the significant number of "worse" panels that are within LG (tv) 's agreed tolerance's but outside the other two (probably one major reason why LG have 4 or 5 models for every generation where Sony and Pana usually have one or two).

Yeah I agree but why should Sony or an partner or customer have to pay extra to get a good quality working product that already cost thousands of pounds?

To me this tells me the Quality Control standards are either set that low or don't exist or the QC team are not doing their job properly.

Its been mentioned before also that people would pay for a QC test before delivery, that way they get a product free from banding and uniformity problems, dead pixels etc, I get that but really if the job was done properly in the first place we wouldn't be seeing people having to diagnose and QC check their products after delivery and its reached that point a long time ago.

There is a guy over on AVF who bought the LG G1 77", 3.5K TV he got sent 4 panels, all of them terrible uniformity and banding, lucky it was Mr Richer and they exchanged it each time and apologised they could see it was unacceptable image quality for such an high end spec TV. In the end the poor guy just got a refund after 6 months and went projector route.

It almost feels like that QC Passed sticker has very little meaning left.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Just checked review of Sony A90J on rtings website and they have considerably higher input lag than LG TVs and I don’t think that’s going to improve much when they release 42” version so won’t be buying that.
Maybe I’ll try again C2 at the end of the year where hopefully quality will improve or maybe the newer (EX) panels will make a difference.
I will miss it when I return it tomorrow as playing games and watching movies on it is top notch.

I hear ya, yeah I don't think they will get the gaming and lag fixed but hopefully they do. I am still very surprised Sony didn't include their next gen chipset and cpu the one with 4 x hdmi 2.1 ports again, Sony have quite a bit of work to do in many areas but its good they are pushing the heatsink, thermal, brightness thing.

Associate
These sorts of issues described above, I only ever have when the PC has gone to sleep. Never on clean boot.

Considering since Windows 10, "shut down" is just hibernating, maybe it's that? I have my computers set to actually shut down.

Oh interesting, never knew that about Windows 10.

Googling though, it seems like disabling "Fast Startup" would achieve this, although that was one of the first things I tried with no luck. Might be wrong though, might have to use one of the other full shutdown methods.

Will give this a test later and pray it works for me too!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Few days in with C2, Its still improving I think a few pixel refreshes has cleaned it up uniformity wise and I also have less blue tint its no longer in the middle of the screen but the blue tints on the edges more.

This TV is much quieter then my CX, I can't hear any popping and cracking pixel cleaning sessions once its off like I did with my CX. No annoying CX on and off click also.

I did mention a few days back even with Phils C2/G2 picture settings, my biggest issue was in dark scenes regardless of film or source I was not able to see any shadow detail... literally it was just a face surrounded by blackness and void.

Upping to black level 57% fixed this for me and I have reset my Shield and C2 and fully re-updated etc, also I retested Jungle cruise off Disney plus with Dolby Vision and its still pitch black with default 50% black, upping again to 57% its fine during that scene. Same exact issue with the Bluray copy with HDR10.

I have asked Phil since he is a TV calibrator why this is, hopefully not some TV fault since others did not mention of this issue on their C2s with 50% black level default.

Otherwise the C2 is a keeper, its the best TV I have had yet.

Associate
OP
So I could enjoy the 42C2 for a week before I started to love it. Picture is near perfect and very very small red tint right upper so hardly noticeable.
42" OLED seems to be most perfect size and this is coming from a guy who's been used to small screens for about 2 decades, 15" and 22". You really get sucked into the games! Was playing the GTAV, flying the Lazer jet and it felt like you really were in the game itself, so unreal! And The Crew 2 when riding the MX bikes and jumping, you get the feeling you're really riding and that moment when you're about the to land back on the wheels...! So immersive! However, unfortunately with deepest regrets, I had to return it because it's not flicker-free and I'm sensitive to that :'( That explains the fatiguing headache, no pain, only fatigue and eye strains. I hate myself... I can just go from LED to OLED with no problems, the true issue I have is the flicker-free. If I wasn't sensitive to that ****, I would have kept the 42C2.

@R3X I knew some settings had to do with the black details. I mean, on my VA mnitor which I currently use shows all the details in dark scenes whereas those details were no present when I still had the 42C2. Crushed blacks?

Associate
Few days in with C2, Its still improving I think a few pixel refreshes has cleaned it up uniformity wise and I also have less blue tint its no longer in the middle of the screen but the blue tints on the edges more.

This TV is much quieter then my CX, I can't hear any popping and cracking pixel cleaning sessions once its off like I did with my CX. No annoying CX on and off click also.

I did mention a few days back even with Phils C2/G2 picture settings, my biggest issue was in dark scenes regardless of film or source I was not able to see any shadow detail... literally it was just a face surrounded by blackness and void.

Upping to black level 57% fixed this for me and I have reset my Shield and C2 and fully re-updated etc, also I retested Jungle cruise off Disney plus with Dolby Vision and its still pitch black with default 50% black, upping again to 57% its fine during that scene. Same exact issue with the Bluray copy with HDR10.

I have asked Phil since he is a TV calibrator why this is, hopefully not some TV fault since others did not mention of this issue on their C2s with 50% black level default.

Otherwise the C2 is a keeper, its the best TV I have had yet.
Are you having black level issues from apps installed on the TV or from HDMI devices like Nvidia shield.? If it’s HDMI there might be a setting somewhere. Don’t know if it’s present on C2 but I have that on my B6 as I’ve had that problem with some sources.

Associate
Anyone else have these weird |______| shaped markings all along the very bottom of their C2 42?

Only just noticed them now, all the way along the bottom below the bezel. Under the top layer of the screen (and yes dw have removed the film). Nothing on the top or sized of the TV.

https://imgur.com/a/YsZTk1h
LSmJGyW

YsZTk1h

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Are you having black level issues from apps installed on the TV or from HDMI devices like Nvidia shield.? If it’s HDMI there might be a setting somewhere. Don’t know if it’s present on C2 but I have that on my B6 as I’ve had that problem with some sources.

Happens on any hdmi source 1-4, Shield and TV inbuilt apps and inbuilt media player. Its ok though I just upped the black level from default 50% to 57% and its fixed it I now get shadow detail back.

Ill wait and see what that TV calibrators opinion is if he does get back to me, guess it could be panel variance also.

Associate
LG confirms not all C2 TVs have OLED EX panel - https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-co...-an-OLED-EX-panel-as-advertised.612105.0.html

Seems pretty poor if it's a lottery as to which panel you'll get... Price of course stays the same.

What is the difference between the two panels?

Any idea when the different panels came into play? Is it just the 2022 models?

Edit: actually read the link so it seems they’re using some of the old panels. Is that necessarily a bad thing, previous years tvs looked great.

I guess though if you’re buying the latest model it’s only normal to want the latest panel.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
What is the difference between the two panels?

Any idea when the different panels came into play? Is it just the 2022 models?

Edit: actually read the link so it seems they’re using some of the old panels. Is that necessarily a bad thing, previous years tvs looked great.

I guess though if you’re buying the latest model it’s only normal to want the latest panel.

Been discussed too many times last few pages, basically its not good but nothing can be done about anyone buying an C2 its pot luck you might get an true evo panel underneath which has less burn in and less electricity usage vs the older panel, regardless of what you get you still get the same image quality though.

If you have patience and can wait, this fall hopefully the issues fixed with LG C2 42", but by then come early next year its C3 and another new TV.

My LG C2 turned up today, so did a quick power on and check over at work. :cool:
The one thing I did notice straight away is just how crisp and butter smooth the motion is, so much clearer that my IPS ultrawide.
I'll have a proper play around with it at home next week as I have Easter off.

LGC2_01.jpg

Associate
My LG C2 turned up today, so did a quick power on and check over at work. :cool:
The one thing I did notice straight away is just how crisp and butter smooth the motion is, so much clearer that my IPS ultrawide.
I'll have a proper play around with it at home next week as I have Easter off.

LGC2_01.jpg

Smart move buddy
OLED 42 is where it's at. And you can allways do UW - on the C2, you dont even need to dick around creating custom UW res :D

Been front and back on this vs the AW, but damn, how much I love the new QD Oled and 175hz, I just cant swollow the damn tiny vertical space. Tried gaming again on my PG279Q but it's so Disgusting small. No way in hell I will get the AW34 - just cant get immersed, and frankly im no lover of UW format eaiter.

Some games as MK8 on my CX55 is great. But that just as Nintendo use such disgusting lov FOV - more then others consol crap, that Allways have fov like 50. On pc one just up the FOV high and 16:9 is by then totaly unbeatable for immersion!

Caporegime
This screen is just incredible for gaming. Flight Simulator looks ridiculous.

@chivs688 I have no issues with my 3070 and 120Hz HDR with deep colour by the way. Tried a new cable?

I'm happy so far and I'm not even going to check if it's a new panel or not.

Associate
Thought I’m going to show pictures of all my oleds displaying same website. All TVs are in game mode.
They all look to have different colour due to different lighting conditions and how white balance works in cameras but what we are comparing is uniformity.

6 years old 55” B6 with at last 12000 hours on it:
EFEAA507-2873-49-AA-AB58-08-A46-AD29-DF2.jpg

2 years old 55” BX used mainly for PC/PS5 gaming:
CCA9-ACB3-CCAA-4336-8-DD6-459-D55-B40-E05.jpg

And the new 42” C2:
57-A0-CF76-77-EE-4-BC0-A409-0-E8-EF02-F5-C13.jpg

Soldato
Actually you do as at least for me there were no UW resolutions in nvidia control panel so I had to create my own.

Did you enable 21:9 or 32:9 in wide aspect ratio in picture settings area of game optimiser first? Once you do that, the resolutions then pop up in Nvidia control panel, otherwise do not show by default.

Back
Top Bottom