LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
Around 80 for OLED light and contrast is set to 85. Pixel shift is on, logo luminance off, hdr off.

Think I'll try using it with a lower value for OLED light (maybe 20~) for a week or so and see how I fare since ABL doesn't activate at all at that low of a brightness. I find myself missing the colours and big size of the OLED when I return to using my 27" IPS monitor lol
That's your issue, OLED light on 80 is way too high and too bright. According to some owners here or on LTT, set the value at 60 or lower and ABL won't kick in. You can try lower indeed. On my A7 I've set it on 27. But ABL shouldn't exist at all, it only annoys the owners.

Associate
That's your issue, OLED light on 80 is way too high and too bright. According to some owners here or on LTT, set the value at 60 or lower and ABL won't kick in. You can try lower indeed. On my A7 I've set it on 27. But ABL shouldn't exist at all, it only annoys the owners.

My OLED light is set to 35, brightness 40 logo luminance = High contrast = 75 but I play in a dim room.:) ABL only kicks in when you set the OLED at peak 80/100 lowering the OLED Light, and or Contrast to around 40 still stop ABL from kicking in.

This is the main problem the user just turns off everything without knowing what it dose (logo luminance) It decreases the OLED light of the pixels when it detected a static logo preventing burn in;)

LG's OLED TVs also dim when more than 60% of the picture is bright. (ABL) While this is unlikely to happen during normal video playback, it affects calibration (especially when using fullscreen patterns) and happens when the TV is used with a computer. ABL is a non-optional function of OLED. It's there to prevent both huge energy consumption and the OLED from overheating/driving individual pixels too hard and effectively being burned out prematurely.

Last edited:
Associate
My OLED light is set to 35, brightness 40 logo luminance = High contrast = 75 but I play in a dim room.:)

This is the main problem the user just turns off everything without knowing what it dose (logo luminance) It decreases the OLED light of the pixels when it detected a static logo preventing burn in;)

ABL only kicks in when you set the OLED at peak 80/100 lowering the OLED Light, and or Contrast to around 40 still stop ABL from kicking in.

LG's OLED TVs also dim when more than 60% of the picture is bright. (ABL) While this is unlikely to happen during normal video playback, it affects calibration (especially when using fullscreen patterns) and happens when the TV is used with a computer.
Hmm, forgot about that regarding ABL kicking in during calibration. Will it kick in when I set the OLED light to 27? But then again, I probably will have to use only Game mode for playing GTA so I guess not much to calibrate as the Game Mode has limited possibilities like colors etc?

Associate
Hmm, forgot about that regarding ABL kicking in during calibration. Will it kick in when I set the OLED light to 27? But then again, I probably will have to use only Game mode for playing GTA so I guess not much to calibrate as the Game Mode has limited possibilities like colors etc?

Game Mode you are disabling certain features of the TV and in return you get more responsive inputs some people have reported it dim the picture in games but I haven't seen it but I like darkness in games anyway maybe you won't if you like bright games in HDR

LG has now completed its testing of the new update that fixes the dim gaming mode problem on its CX OLED TVs Jan 21

Last edited:
Associate
Game Mode you are disabling certain features of the TV and in return you get more responsive inputs some people have reported it dim the picture in games but I haven't seen it but I like darkness in games anyway maybe you won't if you like bright games in HDR

LG has now completed its testing of the new update that fixes the dim gaming mode problem on its CX OLED TVs Jan 21
Nope, I like the contrast, vividness due to glossy screen and darkness too in games like GTAV with graphics mods :p
I couldn't care less about static images like taskbar because I already have a 13" portable monitor in case I want to browse the net. And bright games? The first thing I'll do when I get the OLED tv is reduce OLED light all the way down to 27 or less :p I can't imagine how GTAV would look on the OLED in nights and evening! lol

Can you tell more about LG completed its testing of the new update? And what about C1 tv's?

Associate
Can you tell more about LG completed its testing of the new update? And what about C1 tv's?

The C1 had the same problem with CX and there no news or update from March 2021 still waiting from LG. But C1 this year got Dolby Vision for games in a new update, the CX owners like me we're still waiting for our Dolby Vision update from July. OLED light @27 is low and might be too dark imo but it's your choice.

Last edited:
Associate
The C1 had the same problem with CX and there no news or update from March 2021 still waiting from LG. But C1 this year got Dolby Vision for games in a new update, the CX owners like me we're still waiting for our Dolby Vision update from July. OLED light @27 is low and might be too dark imo but it's your choice.
That pretty much sucks. Isn't the CX almost or just identical to the C1?

It might be too dark indeed but I have the A7V for tv and netflix and when watching tv, even OLED light at 27 is still too bright lol. No kidding. At 25 the picture starts to get ugly yes.
Funnily enough Netflix got the best brightness without any picture gets ugly.

Associate
That pretty much sucks. Isn't the CX almost or just identical to the C1? It might be too dark indeed but I have the A7V for tv and netflix and when watching tv, even OLED light at 27 is still too bright lol. No kidding. At 25 the picture starts to get ugly yes. Funnily enough Netflix got the best brightness without any picture gets ugly.

The C1 panel is the same as CX. But the C1 Alpha a9 Gen 4 processor with Game Optimizer and Web0S 6.0 brighter than previous years compare with CX Alpha a9 Gen 3 processor and Web0S 5.0 with no Game Optimizer. Both OLED's are still the best on market every model get upgrade every year next April 2022 it will be the C2 Alpha a9 Gen 5 processor most likely we will see the C2 42inch!

Last edited:
Associate
Just picked up one of these brand new and not sure whether the screen is faulty,it has a two inch vertical line down the left side,like it's brighter or even cloudy. Should I run the pixel cleaner? This is my first oled. Thanks

Ran pixel cleaner it's now gone phew.

Last edited:
Associate
Just picked up one of these brand new and not sure whether the screen is faulty,it has a two inch vertical line down the left side,like it's brighter or even cloudy. Should I run the pixel cleaner? This is my first oled. Thanks

Ran pixel cleaner it's now gone phew.

Glad you've sorted it, but for others reading the thread - thought I had a weird horizontal banding issue and it was a reflection of the back of my keyboard. Despite what the reviews may say the screen is glossy. Something to consider if you see odd patterns. My screen sometimes has moobs or faint cat images...

Associate
Tried using it as my monitor and it’s just too big for me. Loved the 4K oled display but couldn’t get used to the size. Definitely looking forward to a smaller oled display as my next monitor.

Associate
Tried using it as my monitor and it’s just too big for me. Loved the 4K oled display but couldn’t get used to the size. Definitely looking forward to a smaller oled display as my next monitor.
What distance between your face and the display in cm?

So 42" seems to be sweet spot after all. Although 32" OLED tv's would have been perfect but I doubt that will happen ever.

Associate
What distance between your face and the display in cm?

So 42" seems to be sweet spot after all. Although 32" OLED tv's would have been perfect but I doubt that will happen ever.

Didn’t measure but I’ve got a pretty deep desk, I’m using a dining room table as a desk and it was still way to big for me.

42 would be the max I could personally use. Gaming was great on the 48 but just to big for me to comfortably use.

Associate
Didn’t measure but I’ve got a pretty deep desk, I’m using a dining room table as a desk and it was still way to big for me.

42 would be the max I could personally use. Gaming was great on the 48 but just to big for me to comfortably use.
Probably +90cm but understandable. I would have loved the 48" but I gotta keep my desk organized and clean.
Oh well, around 6 months to wait for 42".

R3X

R3X

Soldato
42" is the golden one and currently use an 80cm depth desk, largest I could source at time.

But I do sit well back due to long arms so about 1.25 metres backwards, thx distance calculator says 1.4 metres is actually recommended @ an slight angle,
so am still off a tad, but since I currently have a 43" Samsung TV I can see its just the right size, and also the benefit its great for when you watch TV 2+ metres back say via the bed or sofa.

Only thing is I do hope LG don't skimp on the 42" Oled and just do a cheapo CX/C1 type box, id much prefer the G1 style, completely flat at back base since you save a good 3 inches sticking out from the wall, sounds insane but it does make a massive difference and looks much cleaner floating off the wall.

Associate
Is there much benefit of the c1 over cx for gaming?

The C1/CX is the same panel, But.

C1 Alpha a9 Gen 4 processor with Game Optimizer and Web0S 6.0 plus brighter than previous.:)
CX Alpha a9 Gen 3 processor with no Game Optimizer and Web0S 5.0:)

Still no Dolby vision at 120Hz with today's update 3.23.25 I see.
The news is we will get later this year:(

Back
Top Bottom