LG c9 OLED

Soldato
I haven't been able to look into the video spec but it's a different CPU in terms of driving software as well. So it's quite possible there's less difference in picture than there is in performance.

Seemed the same to me certainly didn’t seem any slower loading Netflix, Prime etc. Xbox One X with HDR looked as good as mine after I tweaked the settings. The settings I used are very similar to mine too.

Tbh I’m sure most of the added improvements are just marketing to make you spend more. If I had seen a B9 sooner I would not have paid the extra for my C9 but when I was looking the B9 was not widely available. Surely not a sales tactic....lol

Soldato
Ello,

I am planning on getting an OLED TV ready for when the PS5 comes along and I've been lead to believe that the C9 or B9 are both fine choices.

I'm currently using a 55 inch Samsung u6800 and I'm not really sure if it's a big enough upgrade to justify the cash? Could anyone who knows much about my TV shed any light on how much of an upgrade this would be? I'd probably have to go for 55 inch again purely because of the cost.

HDR was added to my TV after launch via a firmware update but it doesn't seem great to me. I often find myself turning it on and off to try and see which looks best, but I can never tell tbh.

The main thing I'll be using the TV for is gaming, I rarely watch any television other than F1 lol.

Cheers!

A night and day difference, as soon as you see those inky blacks in contrast to blinding white in HDR you won't stop grinning.

My TV arrived! I got a B9 as the C9 was out of stock everywhere, just tested out PC gaming, 1080p @ 120fps g-sync, works like a dream, been playing Alien isolation, works really well with oled being a darker game, also with the most recent update it even passes through 5.1 audio from the PC which is a massive plus!

I'm currently getting to 'ISF Expert Dark Room' setting for SDR content, I see a lot of people recommend this and tbh I find it a little dull and yellow but I understand that this is supposed to be more accurate so I'll stick with it for now, I think on my previous TV I had it a little over saturated.

Associate
Not sure that video is accurate at all, as you have to enable G-sync in the Nvidia control panel for it to work, not just enable instant game response.

VRR, I've never used.

By turning off the instant game response, you also turn off the Gsync vrr on the tv side. I have the same issue and I suspect all sets do. Near black gamma is lowered making the first transition from black to grey too big of a jump. This gives the picture a slightly washed out look, plus quite distracting in dark games. I've read that the C9 uses dithering at near black, however this fix is currently bypassed by the VRR mode. Lowering the tv brightness doesn't fix this, as we only need to the near black gamma curve changing via dithering, not the whole chain.

A little frustrating as I bought the C9 on the strength of the VRR Gsync. I already have an older OLED without it. I was already used to a great picture, turning on Gsync visibly messes up the blacks. However, if this was my first OLED and i just gamed from day one with gsync enabled, i would still think the picture is amazing compared to my LCD screens :)

Soldato
Pretty sure he just meant to sit it on that piece of "wood", not mount it as a shelf and put the telly on it :rolleyes:
I'm way late to reply but yes, exactly, that shelf sits on top of the unit the TV is on as a riser - it just raises the height enough so the Sonos Bean in front doesn't obscure the bottom of the screen. The shel is pretty much the exact width and depth to support the C965

Associate
A night and day difference, as soon as you see those inky blacks in contrast to blinding white in HDR you won't stop grinning.

Crikey, it's that much of an improvement?

I must say that I am a bit disappointed at how much more expensive the 65inch is over the 55inch for the B9. I will have to save more pennies - I know I'll regret getting the 55.

Soldato
Crikey, it's that much of an improvement?

I must say that I am a bit disappointed at how much more expensive the 65inch is over the 55inch for the B9. I will have to save more pennies - I know I'll regret getting the 55.

Absolutely, you can have a bright white pixel next to an off pixel (so inky black) with no bleed just infinite contrast.

Back
Top Bottom