• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Major issue with computer build i9 7900x. Help appreciated: SOLVED

Soldato
You'd have thought so but I'm guessing that i9 is a power hungry beast.

Yeah but not 750 watt hungry. Unless something else died at the same time as the BIOS update or the BIOS update killed something you have just done a bad flash. Have a read of the motherboard manual as you might have way to boot from a secondary source.

Soldato
Thanks again everyone.

I'll test the psu tomorrow with a psu tester. I'll update the thread after this.

Just to clarify, when you are turning the system on, either via the power button on the case, or via the motherboard button do the fans spin up on the system at all?

I would highly recommend disconnecting everything from the system. Graphics Card, Hard Drives/SSD, Sound cards etc. and also all of your externally connected peripherals, and I mean everything, all of your USB devices inc. the input mouse/keyboard. Once you have done this then turn the system on, see if you note any changes, obviously there will be no video output with no GPU. I can't see a diagnostic readout on the board, so can you connect a BIOS speaker and listen for the beep codes if you are getting any, there is normally a four pin header on the front panel I/O to add one if there is not one built into the board.

If you are still having no luck, then remove the board, and bench test it outside of the chassis, with only the essential components connected, CPU, RAM, Graphics card, and PSU. If you still have no POST, and no fans spinning up then check the PSU (as you already said), then try a different GPU. For good measure you can remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes (no power to the system at all) if you have not already, and that might help.

The PSU is fine for that system a Titanium rated 750W, will be happy running at 600W load with reasonable efficiency still, hence the reason they are sold and rated as such, for some reason people think you need 1000W PSU if you are drawing a 500W load against it, but most have no real clue about electronics and just follow what they hear from others. If it was an el-cheapo special 750W then it might be different as the components used would probably be out of a skip,.

Permabanned
probably but I don't think you should be categorically saying that until the psu has been ruled out. op rma's motherboard - tested and found to be fine op gets a testing fee and return shipping charge and then has to rma/replace the psu. no need to make a poop situation pooper

1 quick question that might help identify if it is the board or psu - is the power button on the board illuminated when the psu is turned on? you can do the paperclip trick, only takes 2 seconds really. least you'll know if there's any life in the psu before going in with the tester
A bios updates does not kill a PSU but could kill a motherboard

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

I have been doing the paper clip test and the psu fan does not turn at all.
Tomorrow i will confirm this with a psu tester

Is it possible that other components were damaged as well? (Motherboard, cpu)?

I forgot to mention this:

When the bios update finished and the computer was about to restart
the whole electric power was cut from the wall socket. I had to go
downstairs to the electric switch box to switch it back on.

Last edited:
Associate
Untill you get a PSU in the machine that works its hard to say if anything is damaged, but corsair isn't a bad make so should have protected everything else. Never skimp on the PSU I would have said 1000W minimum and a decent brand. iam not saying corsair isn't, just saying 750w is not enough.
just cause the rev counter says 9000rpm then red line, don't mean you drive on 9000rpm. give yourself some head room even if not overclocking. cause to have a chip like that a standard clocks is like going to the pub to drink water.

And if circuit breaker tripped when the PC restarted its for sure a power issue and PSU dead.

Associate
OP
Untill you get a PSU in the machine that works its hard to say if anything is damaged, but corsair isn't a bad make so should have protected everything else. Never skimp on the PSU I would have said 1000W minimum and a decent brand. iam not saying corsair isn't, just saying 750w is not enough.
just cause the rev counter says 9000rpm then red line, don't mean you drive on 9000rpm. give yourself some head room even if not overclocking. cause to have a chip like that a standard clocks is like going to the pub to drink water.

And if circuit breaker tripped when the PC restarted its for sure a power issue and PSU dead.

Thanks, it is not corsair

It is seasonic titanium. I could not find a more expensive power supply at 750 than that

Soldato
the whole electric power was cut from the wall socket. I had to go

Were you using the mains lead that came with the PSU, have you changed the fuse, or tried another IEC C13 cable?

Also are you using a multi way extension, if so takr that out of the loop, and see how it gets on.

Associate
OP
Were you using the mains lead that came with the PSU, have you changed the fuse, or tried another IEC C13 cable?

Also are you using a multi way extension, if so takr that out of the loop, and see how it gets on.

Yes i was using the one that came with the psu. I have not changed the fuse nor tried another cable.
Yes i was using a multi way extension. When i did the paper clip test i plugged the psu directly to a different socket

Soldato
The motherboard supports dual bios but i did not have a backup

Then it's time to get the iron out or buy a new board buddy. You might be able to send it in for repair.

Always backup the BIOS before flashing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP said bios update had finished, then the PC rebooted and that's when it tripped the mains fuse in fuse box. chances are the bios did update, but because the PSU failed on reboot to trip mains, we cant say for sure Mother board is toast.
you need a new PSU anyway, so before you get carried away taking out the motherboard for RMA I would try a new PSU first. after all you need a new one.

Back
Top Bottom