• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Major issue with computer build i9 7900x. Help appreciated: SOLVED

Associate
OP
The graphics card needs to be in always as the cpu does not have integrated graphics.

I think i'll wait until tomorrow at least after i talk to the psu retailer.

Associate
OP
I've just placed a support ticket with the retailer.

Will update the thread when i have more news.

Thanks everyone.

Soldato
I've just placed a support ticket with the retailer.

Will update the thread when i have more news.

Thanks everyone.
I hope you didn't tell them the electricity cut out. I'm not suggesting you lie but being overly truthful isn't always the best policy!

Also, and maybe already covered but have you plugged something like a table lamp into the socket just to make sure it's actually working?

Associate
OP
I hope you didn't tell them the electricity cut out. I'm not suggesting you lie but being overly truthful isn't always the best policy!

Also, and maybe already covered but have you plugged something like a table lamp into the socket just to make sure it's actually working?

I have not mentioned the power surge.

I tried the psu in different working sockets

Soldato
I have not mentioned the power surge.

I tried the psu in different working sockets
Ok cool. Just wanted to check.

You'll be grand on the rma. Seasonic are solid units so they'll be quick to sort a replacement. Might also be with telling them you have no way of testing your other components until you receive a replacement.
When I had a corsair psu go pop a few years ago I told them the same, they fast tracked the replacement and sent me a form to fill in to detail if any other parts had been taken out as a result of the psu failing.

Associate
The 165W TDP on the i9's is... optimistic... at stock. 300W could be hit easily even with just MCT which might be enabled automatically in the bios.

The 1080ti could easily draw another 250W-300W depending on model.

Those two components alone are getting on the high side for that PSU imho. Add in all the other components, and I would def want a larger PSU.

Associate
OP
The 165W TDP on the i9's is... optimistic... at stock. 300W could be hit easily even with just MCT which might be enabled automatically in the bios.

The 1080ti could easily draw another 250W-300W depending on model.

Those two components alone are getting on the high side for that PSU imho. Add in all the other components, and I would def want a larger PSU.

Why does the Seasonic online power calculator recommends 650W with all the
components?

Soldato
Why does the Seasonic online power calculator recommends 650W with all the
components?

His numbers are off, a lot.

A good while back when the 1080 TI launched I built a system for a colleague. The 1080 Ti, in a 7700K with a 5.0GHz OC was only pulling 330w from the wall, that's the total system draw and if you consider a GTX 1060 would sit at around 215w same system, then 250w-300w is way off. 1080 Ti is more like ~170-200W max, and the 7900X once you start pulling all cours at 4.6GHz+ will really start to get up beyond 300W+, but you are at stock. Even with an auto OC, and the 1080 TI maxed out 750w on a Titanium PSU is more than enough.

Easiest way to prove it, grab a power meter for your wall plug, they cost from about £8, and it will tell you real time draw from the wall, for the whole system, whack it under load, and then see where you are at, if it's more than 500W I'll be surprised. :)

Associate
You know what, you should read some reviews from testers of your hardware, they use more sophisticated equipment to measure power draw than some £8 made in china offering on ebay. all your hardware has lots of power draw readings taken by many websites.
use the information and judge for yourself. the other day I quoted figures from a reputable website that tests hardware. even bothered to look it up for you to try and help. The risk of a weak power supply is you can fry more than your PSU.

all the information you require is on the web, carried out by qualified electrical engineers. Google is your friend in this case.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
My ryzen overclocked runs 200w under load and Ti 300w. All overclocked to the max but I can see how your CPU and GPU could theoretically strain a 750.

However reality is CPU and GPU are never maxed at the same time so unlikely to be an issue anyway.

Back
Top Bottom