• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Major issue with computer build i9 7900x. Help appreciated: SOLVED

Soldato
OP said bios update had finished, then the PC rebooted and that's when it tripped the mains fuse in fuse box. chances are the bios did update, but because the PSU failed on reboot to trip mains, we cant say for sure Mother board is toast.
you need a new PSU anyway, so before you get carried away taking out the motherboard for RMA I would try a new PSU first. after all you need a new one.

Not sure the Op could RMA the board. Might be worth a try but without the backed up file...
If the power went out before the update was written it's toast. That would happen at boot.

Soldato
Its enough. Don't worry about it not being enough OP... :rolleyes:

My rig is more power hungry than an i9 with a single 1080ti would be, and it has a 750W PSU, and is usually pegged at 100% load.

Yeah a Titanium rated Seasonic should power a small town. Very unlikely a power out killed the PSU.

Associate
OP
Its enough. Don't worry about it not being enough OP... :rolleyes:

My rig is more power hungry than an i9 with a single 1080ti would be, and it has a 750W PSU, and is usually pegged at 100% load.

Yes.
There are several online psu calculators from manufacturers that tell you what psu
you need based on the components.

Before buying mys psu i did the one on their website and they recommended 650 W titanium, so i went with 750 W titanium.

Do you guys think warranty covers power surges for ghe psu?

Associate
From what I understand from OP's posts is he flashed bios, the bios was written, the PC rebooted and the PSU failed which caused the Mains fuse to trip out. so the PC was booting after a bios flash.
in that case, the flash could have been successful but because the PSU failed on reboot we have no idea if the M/B is dead or not and as the OP needs a new PSU anyway, its would be worth trying new PSU in
the PC to see if M/B is toast or not before the RMA process. if found the board is ok he could be liable for testing and all the postage.

Seasonic is a good brand but I still say 750w titanium is not enough for his PC build.

Caporegime
It absolutely is. Stick it on a power meter and I bet it doesn't use more than 550W when gaming, and no more than 650W when stressing.

If OP were overclocking both the CPU and GPU by a moderate to large amount, then I can see a 750W PSU becoming a potential issue.

My PC has two overclocked R9 390 8GB's which can draw over 300W peak each, paired with an i7 2700K at 5GHz. Not a particularly up to date system these days, but still a power hungry beast... Its powered by a 750W XFX 80+ Silver unit and it doesn't break a sweat. I've never seen the wall meter go over 700W even when folding/mining/benching.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
From what I understand from OP's posts is he flashed bios, the bios was written, the PC rebooted and the PSU failed which caused the Mains fuse to trip out. so the PC was booting after a bios flash.
in that case, the flash could have been successful but because the PSU failed on reboot we have no idea if the M/B is dead or not and as the OP needs a new PSU anyway, its would be worth trying new PSU in
the PC to see if M/B is toast or not before the RMA process. if found the board is ok he could be liable for testing and all the postage.

Seasonic is a good brand but I still say 750w titanium is not enough for his PC build.

Yes you are correct. That's how things happened.
I remember seeing the “rebooting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,” notice and then it never turned back on. At the same time the mains fuse tripped.

Based on seasonic's online psu calculator they recommended 650 W titanium. I went with 750 W titanium

Soldato
I remember seeing the “rebooting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,” notice and then it never turned back on. At the same time the mains fuse tripped.

Based on seasonic's online psu calculator they recommended 650 W titanium. I went with 750 W titanium

Did you get to the post screen? That's the point everything initializes. If you got to that point then the BIOS loaded and the flash was/should have been completed.

Just had a look at the 750watt Seasonic and it's an awesome unit. 64 amps on the 12v and 20 amps on the 3.3 and 5v rails. It can deliver 770~ watts on the 12 volt alone. It's a beast.

Last edited:
Associate

For me a 650w titanium or bronze, gold, platinum is no where near enough. titanium only means efficacy, it does not mean its bullet proof. when a PC boots its the PSU's hardest time, everything is demanding power.
a 650W is maxed out. a 750w is not even 10% headroom, a 850w min I would say. 1000w easy as long as its a good brand, single 12v rail ect.

Caporegime
The components aren't maxed out when a PC boots.....

Look, this is silly, the OP could probably run the bloody thing on a 400W PSU for a while before his PC turns into a fireball, if there is an issue with the PSU, it isn't because it can't supply enough power!

Associate
OP
I bought everything in July. Pc was up
and running fine since then.
Both cpu and gpu always at stock settings.

Soldato
It's very rare to have a Seasonic PSU die and unless it was faulty it's really unlikely a power out would do anything. Is it the SRR 750 TD you have?

Caporegime
Everything points to a failed BIOS flash... But just to be certain, do you have another PSU you can test the system with, or another PC you can test your PSU in?

Is the BIOS chip a removable/replaceable item?

Associate
At the end of the day the PSU is dead, so new PSU and see if the M/B boots, if not you needed a new PSU anyway so then its RMA board or buy new Iam not sure it would be covered if M/B was borked by failed PSU.

7900X 400w at load
1080ti 403w at load

add in drives, M/B usage and fans ect and at load that combo exceeds 750w easy. unless you want to switch on PC and watch the home screen all day and not use it, I would say its a gaming machine, so load it will have even if not flat out load.

Associate
OP
Everything points to a failed BIOS flash... But just to be certain, do you have another PSU you can test the system with, or another PC you can test your PSU in?

Is the BIOS chip a removable/replaceable item?

No, i don't have another pc nor another psu.

I think i'll have to take the pc to a repair shop on Monday for a
torough diagnosis. I did the paper clip test and the psu fan
is not spinning. I have a cheap psu tester incoming tomorrow.

I don't know about the removable bis chip. I have to search

Soldato
No, i don't have another pc nor another psu.

I think i'll have to take the pc to a repair shop on Monday for a
torough diagnosis. I did the paper clip test and the psu fan
is not spinning. I have a cheap psu tester incoming tomorrow.

I don't know about the removable bis chip. I have to search

Looking at the spec I doubt it needs a fan running until it's well under load.

Back
Top Bottom