Poll: Malaysian Grand Prix 2017, Kuala Lumpur - Race 15/20

Rate the 2017 Malaysian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
"Article 43.3 of F1's sporting regulations states only that: "After receiving the end-of-race signal all cars must proceed on the circuit directly to the post race parc ferme without any unnecessary delay, without receiving any object whatsoever and without any assistance (except that of the marshals if necessary)."

Alonso and Webber got done for doing it.
Notice it mentions cars, not drivers. I don't think the same rule applies when a wheel gets ripped off and you're stranded on the circuit. It's would be move of an issue for Wehrlein than Vettel.

We've had drivers pick up flags multiple times in the past few years and they weren't given any punishment whatsoever.

It doesnt matter, the rules are the rules. it doesn't say replace unless its going to be craned.
Same with giving a lift, it is now banned, although i agree its a silly rule, but unless its repealed it should be enforced.

a fine would be a perfectly reasonable response and not in anyway ridiculous.

Yeah a fine would be sufficient for both instances. It's barely even worth discussing for such small matters, unlike the scene that's been made here.

yeah I blame Vettel
Even Stroll blamed Stroll.

Man of Honour
Yeah a fine would be sufficient for both instances. But it's still barely even worth discussing for such small matters, unlike the scene that's been made here.
Its a scene made by FIA, they have punished for both before, yet they don't even seem to have said they're looking into it or anything. Yet more inconsistencies. They really need to get a handle on the rule book, timely investigation and fair/consistent punishments.

Caporegime
Some people really blaming Vettel?

https://streamable.com/bom3m

That is a bad shot to judge it by as the car the camera is on does sharp left making it look like stroll does a sharp right. Unfortunately there is no decent camera angle on the incident to see everything clearly.

I think they are both at fault and just both lacked awareness and anticipation of what the other was doing. I think no penalty for the contact was the correct decision.

Soldato
Its a scene made by FIA, they have punished for both before, yet they don't even seem to have said they're looking into it or anything. Yet more inconsistencies. They really need to get a handle on the rule book, timely investigation and fair/consistent punishments.
Oh come on, they don't haul drivers in front of the stewards for not putting a steering wheel back on a 3-wheeled car! Nobody cares! It probably won't even be addressed today.

Soldato
Did you miss where I said both Alonso and Webber got done for doing the same? The FIA are a joke.
Yes, but Webber wasn't penalised for getting a lift, he was penalised for running across the track without the permission of the marshals and Alonso wasn't penalised at all (only cautioned for parking in a dangerous place).

Webber wasn't given a direct penalty for Korea either, but due to an accumulation of penalties within the season.

Soldato
Yes, but Webber wasn't penalised for getting a lift, he was penalised for running across the track without the permission of the marshals and Alonso wasn't penalised at all (only cautioned for parking in a dangerous place).

Webber wasn't given a direct penalty for Korea either, but due to an accumulation of penalties within the season.

He got penalised and it cost him a 10 place penalty. Anyway lets see if vettel needs a gearbox and then gets a freebee.

Soldato
Stroll was looking exactly where he was going; to the outside to get some pickup on the tyres. He wasn't looking in his mirrors to see Vettel trying to go by. This was not Vettel's fault in the slightest.

I don't think there will be any penalties for it. I can see the FIA mandating a 'no overtaking on cool down lap' rule from now on though.

Associate
Stroll was looking exactly where he was going; to the outside to get some pickup on the tyres. He wasn't looking in his mirrors to see Vettel trying to go by. This was not Vettel's fault in the slightest.

I don't think there will be any penalties for it. I can see the FIA mandating a 'no overtaking on cool down lap' rule from now on though.

FIA already announced no further action and said all drivers should still be cautious of other cars on in and out laps

Soldato
Largely unremarkable race for me. Great job by Verstappen to make the early move on a bizarrely slow Mercedes and then cruise to the end. He needed a result, and you can’t get a better one than that.

Stroll and Vettel? I think Stroll was more in a position to avoid the accident, but the race was over and every driver was physically shattered. Just let it go.

However, the most memorable thing from this race for me was the stupid and poorly implemented canned crowd noise and applause throughout the race. It was absolutely terrible and amateurish.

I hope this isn’t a glimpse into the future of Liberty Media.

Soldato
Is anyone else thinking Vettel backed off because of a gearbox damage.... and picked someone to cause a crash on his rear tire with so they could claim a free gearbox change due to crash rather than a 5 place grid penalty?

It was too strange an incident, Vettel was accelerating, turned into Stroll, there is no reason anyone would get that tight in a corner with a HUGE amount of room wide on a cool down lap. It's just too strange not to suspect something more sinister going on.

Didn't know we had Alex Jones on these forums! :rolleyes:

Well done to Max and unbelievable damage limitation by Vettel

The Ferraris looked to have mighty pace.
RBR are looking very competitive in last few races, Suzuka should be good track for them esp first couple of sectors

Soldato
I did notice the crowd noise seemed more noticeable on the world feed for this race. What makes you think it was faked?

Also, if we're talking 'theories', then maybe Mercedes did have more pace than they showed today but decided to play it safe and keep the engines turned down a bit. Hamilton has a victory in hand over Vettel and was likely to extend his lead today so there was no need to risk chasing and fighting with Verstappen for the victory.

He's running to the end of his allotted engine components, so needs to save where possible. A race distance, or most part, at 95% would certainly help there.

Doesn't really explain what planet Bottas was on, though.

Associate
I did notice the crowd noise seemed more noticeable on the world feed for this race. What makes you think it was faked?

Also, if we're talking 'theories', then maybe Mercedes did have more pace than they showed today but decided to play it safe and keep the engines turned down a bit. Hamilton has a victory in hand over Vettel and was likely to extend his lead today so there was no need to risk chasing and fighting with Verstappen for the victory.

He's running to the end of his allotted engine components, so needs to save where possible. A race distance, or most part, at 95% would certainly help there.

Could be to do with microphone positioning. Mind a couple of races back the cars sounded really wierd and brundle mentioned that track microphone positions had be changed. Maybe they added more mics to crowd areas to get more noise from them?

Caporegime

Bottas seems to have got less competitive with Hamilton as the season has got on. Not really sure why that would be. Maybe Lewis has just hit his stride now and is really showing his full potential (meaning the talent difference between the two is being revealed).

Back
Top Bottom