Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Soldato
Hyv I was thinking about joining it but I didn't want to waste anyone's time because I'm very new also, I had MvC3 but I did not play it properly it was just a bit of fun for when my mates were at my place. I'd like maybe a week to prepare though, do you think that would be okay? Rash you and I should get together and have a game sometime later this week, up for it?

Soldato
Hyv I was thinking about joining it but I didn't want to waste anyone's time because I'm very new also, I had MvC3 but I did not play it properly it was just a bit of fun for when my mates were at my place. I'd like maybe a week to prepare though, do you think that would be okay? Rash you and I should get together and have a game sometime later this week, up for it?

thats fine i will start the tournament in 2 weeks time to give everyone more time to practice. i will try to get on play you guys this week and give you some pointers.

Associate
I've changed my team

Ammy, Hagger and Wolverine!

Please let me know the bnb's and advanced stuff and kill combos.

I don't wanna start with the easy stuff, give it all to me and i'll work my way through the list.

Today and tomoz i'll practice nothing but ammy, and try to get haggers and akumas assist to work with my combos.

Soldato
I've changed my team

Ammy, Hagger and Wolverine!

no new characters? boo! anyway wolverine has no advance combos. even if there is his normal bnb does as much damage and builds as much meter anyway.

ammy has some crazy combo that even i and arth cant do but her hhhhh combo is as effective, although you will need to learn some harder combo in the other two modes. and i have no idea what hagger do can since i dont play him.

Soldato
well played ravl. i showed you how broken the turnabout mode phoenix wright assist with ammy is. i think you should definitely have her on your team with maybe another projectile assist character or an assist that neither have high priority to protect phoenix wright from getting mauled or extend combos (like ryu tatsu, which will probably do both). but this may comes with the downside of having a weaker character, its up to you to decide.

also i noticed you are not used to calling the assist whenever you need it. you should always use assist to cover your attacks, whether it is long range beam fight or close range mix up.

for example, as you noticed when i played arth, he always does random launcher with nemesis because of its great hitbox, range and priority. this move is -13 on block which is extremely unsafe, hence he always call an assist to cover this move hit or blocked, so i cant punish it. hence you rarely see me able to hit nemesis when he is doing that, but when nemesis hits you, he gets a free combo. this is done by simply pressing s and one of the assist button at the same time.

you should always have the mindset of assist is a free special move that you can spam while attacking, or moving. but this might take some time and match practice to get used to.

come to think of it, i should have teach you the basic umvc3 mindset before going to the character specific stuff.

Anyway played my first online game thinking "yeah I can do combos yo!"... got totally annihilated. Played someone who had no online games either so I thought I might have a chance. He chose Wesker, Virgin and Trish. I was Hulk, Thor and Nova.

I'm gonna have Wesker in my team for sure, hes cheap but the ability to "wake" an apponant off the floor using his gun is awesome. Dante looks interesting too... who are the cheap top tier characters in this game? Im gonna choose team lol
this game is really new and plays quite differently to mvc3 (at least to me), there is my take on tier list, bear in mind i havent tried all the characters yet. this list is done based on how well they can fully perform when the team is built around them (as point and assist), how well they can fight 1 on 1 on their own and xfactor bonuses. s tier being a walking ocv and b tier being average. anything below b tier will be finding it very hard to win if your team is built relying on them.

s: phoenix

s-: wesker, vergil, dante, c.viper, ammy, magneto, storm, dormammu

a: zero, taskmaster, dr doom, dr strange, trish, spencer, strider, wolverine, frank west (lv4-5), phoenix wright (turnabout)

a-: nova, hawkeye, nemesis, felicia, x23, ghostrider, spiderman, super skull, captain america, firebrand

b+ sentinel, hulk, ryu, akuma, frank west( lv3), chris, rocket raccoon, jill, modok

b: the rest other than lower tier

c: hagger, thor, she-hulk, shuma-gorath

d: hsien-ko, phoenix wright (trial), frank west (lv1-2), tron

e: phoenix wright (investigation)

as you can see i think there are plenty to choose from in terms of characters, but as always remember umvc3 is a TEAM GAME. you will have to build a team around the character chosen. an example of that is c.viper. she is a very strong point character, but her assists are average and her dhc options are pretty poor. but once she have a team around her to set-up her unblockable mix-up (watch marlin pie), she can touch of death the whole team without giving them a chance to breath.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in training mode with wolverine, and i'm getting his basics down.

I think he'll be my point man, as i'm most comfortable with him.

When i do an air combo, and end with an S, what assist can i use to keep the combo going?

Think i might pick up dante again.

My plan for this week is to learn wolverine the next 2 days, do all the trials, and try to learn how to do mid screen combos, as all the stuff i do is in the corner.

I'll then try and add assist combos.

I wanna build my team around wolverine for the moment

Soldato
I'm in training mode with wolverine, and i'm getting his basics down.

I think he'll be my point man, as i'm most comfortable with him.

When i do an air combo, and end with an S, what assist can i use to keep the combo going?

his basic combo is l, m ,h, s, air mmh, drill claw, dive kick, h, s, air mmh, drill claw, beam hyper. or you can to mmhs after the relaunch and call assist after you land and otg with d/f m and do berserker barrage into any hyper

another combo would be after a berserker slash into berserker charge, dash up and do m, h, s, and the rest of the bnb. you can also start the bnb with any throw and otg with d/f m and xfator cancel it (used to be a touch of death combo), dive kick or j.l (instant overhead), air s into a ground chain. beware not to mash too much though, or you will get the beautiful swiss cheese:)

if your assist pick someone up in the air, follow it with j.h, drill claw, dive kick, into a launch combo. you cant relaunch (only one ground bounce per combo) after this unless you have a otg assist.

this is all your need to know with wolverine. he is very simple to use and his options are very limited. the only reason why he is top tier is because he is very fast and even if you know everything he is going do, it doesnt mean you are going to stop it.

use arth's guide for more tricks and set-ups.

Last edited:
Associate
With Akuma's tatsu assist, you'll now need to finish with light dragon punch into back spasms (in corner). Midscreen, you might have to dash first if there's enough time, I'll try it out for you later.
Ryu's tatsu assist should work the same as Vanilla Akuma's tatsu assist though, and I expect things to work the same with Dante assist. If not, then again, light dp into back spasms should work.

Associate
Ahh, i get it.

I've currently got lmh,s,mh,drill,divekick,h,l hurricane, into super down.

I'm stuck with the slide bit after jmp s, need to work on how to connect it.

Associate
Dante assist still works well midscreen, as does Doom beam, but that requires a bit more timing.

The combo you listed is fine, or even end with qcf into hyper to push your opponent into the corner.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a bad feeling about my preorder with play for this strategy guide, they're notoriously slow on shipping and they haven't even processed my order yet let alone shipped it. I just went and ordered from the same place as you Hyv, worst case scenario I'll end up with 2 guides and sell 1 to a friend.

Back
Top Bottom