Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Soldato
yeah that place is probably the best for books, i use that and amazon a lot.

anyway i am trying to figure out something with phoenix wright. running away against characters with long range move is hard. but i won everytime when i get turnabout mode:)

i am running hulk anti-air assist and ammy cold star with him.

Associate
I've only had a couple of chances to play this now and I don't really like Hawkeye as much as I thought I would. His movement seems really restricted, might just be me though. I like Vergil but I think I might need to swap someone out of my team to give him a beam/tatsu assist to help make his teleports safe or put him last so he can devil trigger to get an air dash. So far I'm thinking Vergil/Ryu/Wesker.
Might have a second team involving dormammu since I really like him too.

Soldato
I've only had a couple of chances to play this now and I don't really like Hawkeye as much as I thought I would. His movement seems really restricted, might just be me though. I like Vergil but I think I might need to swap someone out of my team to give him a beam/tatsu assist to help make his teleports safe or put him last so he can devil trigger to get an air dash. So far I'm thinking Vergil/Ryu/Wesker.
Might have a second team involving dormammu since I really like him too.

why not vergil, dorm, wesker? vergil can dhc safely into dorm's floating ball and get a mix-up after. i think the dark hole assist also extend wesker's combo

Associate
So what things do i need to improve on?

I'm still not sure when to call assists, and getting in seems very hard.

What are you guys doing differently to me?

I'm happy that i've got my first assist combo, but it just consists of Dante doing his air guitar after the the dive kick and me going into back spasm.

Is there more that i can get out of it?

Associate

I'm happy that i've got my first assist combo, but it just consists of Dante doing his air guitar after the the dive kick and me going into back spasm.

Generally, using assists in the middle of combos is only good if it will extend the combo - ie, allows you to add attacks you otherwise wouldn't be able to. So in your example, Wolverine can do the exact same combo without the assist, so the assist isn't necessary.
The reason that it isn't automatically good is because having an assist out right before the hyper may stop you from DHCing (depends on how long the hyper lasts), and also may stop you from calling an assist as soon as the opponent recovers for your next mixup.

With Wolverine, start by trying Jam session assist + M berserker slash at midscreen, continue combo with dive kick then relaunch (3:13 in my video). If you're closer than midscreen, you can still do the same thing, or do dive kicks (make sure they dont whiff tough). Or do dash up (it's fast) crouching low.

Soldato

the main differences between me, arth and beginners are we move around a lot and never really stay in one place, we can get damage off from more random situations like air throw, air to air or assist hitting from far away, also we always call our own assist before we do whatever we are trying.

you should work on your set-ups, different method (mainly from the air or random assist hits) to combo into your bnb, and practice movement (tri and box jump attacks and wave dashing) and pressing multiple buttons at the same time into another move. once that is done get some matches and practice defence and air throws (use it to defend against jumps or catch people jumping away and follow it into combo).

for example, most good wolverine always do dash up standing l into berserker slash mix-up. because standing l hits very far and its very fast, berserker slash is also very fast, hence its is a guessing game in wolverine's favour.

the problem is wolverine cant combo off a berserker slash solo without using meter. so what will happen is this good player will do dash and press l and assist (lets say dante jam session) at the same time and do berserker slash right away. if the berserker slash hits, wolverine can follow up and combo with drill claw to catch them in the air and cancel into dive kick to ground bounce them into a full combo. if its blocked, wolverine will recover in time while they are still in block stun from the assist. it opens up a opportunity for a 50/50 mix-up with neither crouching l or jump l into jump s for a very fast high/low mix-up. your opponent will have no choice but to guess again because you cant push block assist. this is only one of the many examples of how to use assist in a mix-up situation.

i rarely use assist mid combo unless it is to extend a otg move because the timing can be very hard. i always use assist to for mix-up, like call strider and teleport with wesker, or to zone (call assist and do a projectile, so you can have two different projectile going in two different direction).

the bottom line is before you do anything, call an assist to cover yourself (dont call close range assist full screen and slow assist up close). this give you extra options and keep you safe.

Last edited:
Soldato
dante, doom, ammy, strider, taskmaster, magneto are the only true top tier characters with top tier assist that is universally good for everyone (technically phoenix is there as well, but would you want to call her to risk getting killed), unless you count conditional top tiers like turnabout mode phoenix wright and lv4-5 frank west.

EDIT: all strider and phoenix wright trials clear:):D

Last edited:
Associate
GG's vian!

I'm understanding the game a lot more now :)

Even managed to pull out some wins, but i'm not sure how genuine they were.

Still need to learn how to combo after an assist, but it's going good.

Need to improve my wolverine a bit more, but i'm getting there.

I have to level up dante now.

Great advice from Art i think, learning one character at a time.

But he's not much of a mentor, even though he called dibs on me

Man of Honour
hyv has always gone incredibly easy on me in our matches. When I asked him not to he was 50/50 mixing me up 100% of the time!

You'll know if hyv was going easy on you or not.

Would really like to get into this now more of you on here seem to be getting it, but I am still working on this mental project for 60-85 hours a week away from home :(

Soldato
there your go ravl, my dante combos:

s.m, s.h, s, j.m, j.h, qcf l, devil trigger, s, j.h, dp s (or if its in the corner do qcf s*2, dp s), j.s, call assist (only some assist will work, but for your team call wolverine dp assist),dp m, j.s, d/f mash h, f.h, s+any attack, j.s, dp m, press m again after the otg to cancel, gun hyper before the last hit

without devil trigger:

s.m, s.h, s, j.m, j.h, qcf l, land and do s (back dash first if in corner), mash h, s, jump and do qcf l and mash l after to cancel into hammer (instead of jump up you can do jump cancel teleport if you are stylish), land call assist (only some assist will work, but for your team call wolverine dp assist),dp m, j.s, d/f mash h, f.h, s+any attack, j.s, dp m, press m again after the otg to cancel, gun hyper before the last hit

if you hit them with a j,s or hammer:

d/f mash h, s, jump and do qcf l and mash l after to cancel into hammer (instead of jump up you can do jump cancel teleport if you are stylish), land call assist (only some assist will work, but for your team call wolverine dp assist),dp m, j.s, d/f mash h, f.h, s+any attack, j.s, dp m, press m again after the otg to cancel, qcb h and mash h to get the guns, gun hyper

this will do more than 600k but there are better and hard version of this combo that i could also do:

s.m, s.h, f.h, s+any attack, quickly do dp m (this will bold cancel you stringer into the special move) j.h, qcf m, as falling do j.h again (dont mash or you will get the gun move),land and do s, mash h, s, jump and do qcf l and mash l after to cancel into hammer (instead of jump up you can do jump cancel teleport if you are stylish), land call assist (only some assist will work, but for your team call wolverine dp assist),dp m, j.s, d/f mash h, f.h, s+any attack, j.s, dp m, press m again after the otg to cancel, do the dp m move and cancel it again, gun hyper before the last hit

this is the slightly easier version:

s.m, s.h, f.h, s+any attack, quickly do dp m (this will bold cancel you stringer into the special move) j.m, j.h, qcf l, land and do s (back dash first if in corner), mash h, s, jump and do qcf l and mash l after to cancel into hammer (instead of jump up you can do jump cancel teleport if you are stylish), land call assist (only some assist will work, but for your team call wolverine dp assist),dp m, j.s, d/f mash h, f.h, s+any attack, j.s, dp m, press m again after the otg to cancel, gun hyper before the last hit

you can extend the dp m otg bit if you have an assist that hits for long enough for you to do jump cancel s. and all of the combos that uses qcf l to ground bounce can use devil trigger to do the air qcf s and dp s part for more damage. but remember devil trigger does not build any meter.

in any case if you cant do none of this you always do the day one combo of launch into j.m, j.h, qcf l, s, j.h, qcf. h, gun hyper. a even easier version is just do qcb l, mash h into gun hyper after you land from qcf l.

Last edited:
Soldato
i will be a bully if i played wesker and vortex you the whole game!

your wolverine is looking better now, you are getting better if the use of dante assist and less swiss cheese as well:). just remember to jump up and dive kick (drill claw into dive kick depending on range) after you hit them with the dante assist. and remember your options up close and ready to attack them with neither berserker slash, c.l or j.l all the time.

my dante suck though:( so i might not be much help with this character.

Last edited:
Associate
I doubt he goes through jam session once it's active. Jam session may be difficult for Nova to combo from - have you tried following up with a ground bounce move (S or dp.m)?
I like weasel shot; Dante comes on screen behind the point character, it shoots far, pins them down, and easy to combo from. There's obviously little vertical space control though.

Back
Top Bottom