Masters of the Air 2023

Soldato
I'm 3 episodes in and quite enjoying it but totally concur with the comments relating to not being invested in any of the characters. The combat scenes are decent especially with my new Rel subwoofer! Flying through the flak barrage must have been terrifying and the state of some of the aircraft when they got back makes you appreciate how precarious it was being in one of those things. Yes it's not BoB or Pacific - but there is a reason they made those first :).

I'm 3 episodes in and quite enjoying it but totally concur with the comments relating to not being invested in any of the characters. The combat scenes are decent especially with my new Rel subwoofer! Flying through the flak barrage must have been terrifying and the state of some of the aircraft when they got back makes you appreciate how precarious it was being in one of those things. Yes it's not BoB or Pacific - but there is a reason they made those first :).
Given their short life spans I wonder if it's half the point, you can't get invested in them because they're not around long enough to do so.

Soldato
brutal stuff
unbelievable loss for one raid, even the Pacific at its bleakest you still felt like the war was being won, even if at a terrible cost and slow grind - this just feels like a pointless waste, clearly they are still hitting targets but that was like losing the entire 506th Easy company in 1 day
Rosenthal flying part was amazing as well

Soldato
The screen writer was interviewed with Dan Snow for the history hit podcast said there were situations where the technical advisor would say something couldn't be done but there were first hand reports from veterans saying they had done it.

I have first hand experience of things like this from the RAF in both Iraq and Afghanistan where "being at war" means things very occasionally get done in a way that isn't safe, or written down in a manual somewhere, but needs to get done NOW or the troops on the ground waiting for a medivac, or a bomb dropping on the enemy etc, might die if the aircraft can't fly, and even other military people you worked with (rather than a random civilian) wouldn't believe what happened if they hadn't seen it first hand.

So, like yourself, there are things I give a lot of leeway over.

Soldato
Enjoying it for what it is and its never going to be as good as BOB or even The Pacific but agree regarding the character build up.

Not sure if its just me but I cant tell who many of the characters are a lot of the time especially when they are in the planes with the masks on, even when they don't have them on I'm thinking who is that guy. I don't know any of the cast so that probably doesn't help, with BOB I knew certain actors and even the ones I didn't they were all pretty distinguishable from the rest.

Associate
Enjoying it for what it is and its never going to be as good as BOB or even The Pacific but agree regarding the character build up.

Not sure if its just me but I cant tell who many of the characters are a lot of the time especially when they are in the planes with the masks on, even when they don't have them on I'm thinking who is that guy. I don't know any of the cast so that probably doesn't help, with BOB I knew certain actors and even the ones I didn't they were all pretty distinguishable from the rest.

It's nothing to do with flight masks it's just totally unengaging from a charachter POV up to this point. It's a lot of star warsy combat which is entertaining enough to make it worth an hour a week, but that's about it.

Soldato
OP
Been mentioned countless times already, but the lack of character depth and backstories to any of the airmen has taken away the connection that this series should have been able to develop with the audience, especially given the latest episode.

I can only relate to Buck, Bucky, Crosby and Bubbles and their depth is minimal.

Think that's the single biggest failing with the series so far, as that single handedly stop you from engaging with it and sets it aside from other series.

Associate
Decided to binge watch the first 5 episodes yesterday. I actually enjoyed it. Obviously not a patch in BoB but still a good watch.

Soldato
It's not too bad. Certainly hasn't grabbed me like BoB did but as everyone has said, little else does. Does feel a bit gung ho and cliché in places....I'm watching episode 5 now...."for you, zee war ist over"...really? A bit Allo Allo. Still, I'm enjoying the action sequences, CGI doesn't seem too bad to me.

Back
Top Bottom