Masters of the Air 2023

Soldato
Have to confess, aside from the aerial sequences I have little or no interest with the characters or the story. I'll have to force-feed the sixth episode but doubt I'll continue with it. Shame.

Associate
For me I think the major issue it has compared to BoB, is that the action scenes by nature are all very samey. Bombing run to bomb X, hit with flak, then fighters, some or all shot down, limp home etc.

Ground warfare has so many options, village scenes, tackling tanks, ambushes, large scale battles, etc etc, makes for a lot more varied and hence interesting set action scenes.

I guess this is why they have to switch focus abit on what happened after some were shot down.

Last edited:
Associate
for some reason i think they might do a 2nd season, 3 episodes doesnt seem much to cover the pow camp scenes, the crew members trying to escape from Belgium/France that was shown a few episodes ago, we are still in 1943, still could cover 44/45 normandy landings etc, Holland, not sure what other main bombing missions the 100th bomb group covered, advancement of german jet fighters etc, could show an episode of the v1 v2 rockets, or a mission to destroy one of their launch pads, just my opinion.

Soldato
After watching the latest episode last night, it's so disjointed. First raid on Berlin, nothing shown of the mission, just lots of planes gone. Those two guys escaping in France, looked like a story was developing there, then suddenly they are riding bicycles on the base and back on a plane to the States! The 'great escape' in the camp, hardly a mention.
I can only assume a lot of stuff was left on the cutting room floor to get it down to 9 episodes. Think there's only two left so this is all going to come to an unsatisfying screeching halt.

Soldato
Would have been better if their was two episodes featuring one bombing run or something, give abetter scale of the onslaught they had each time going.

Soldato
OP
After watching the latest episode last night, it's so disjointed. First raid on Berlin, nothing shown of the mission, just lots of planes gone. Those two guys escaping in France, looked like a story was developing there, then suddenly they are riding bicycles on the base and back on a plane to the States! The 'great escape' in the camp, hardly a mention.
I can only assume a lot of stuff was left on the cutting room floor to get it down to 9 episodes. Think there's only two left so this is all going to come to an unsatisfying screeching halt.

Agree, really disappointed following latest episode, they could have done so much more. Feel like they really missed with the series now.

Soldato
I'll finish it and while it hasn't been difficult to get through I can't see myself watching it again unless I'm desperate for this kind of show.

I can't even blame it on watching it weekly, it just feels.. not very good.

Associate
This is fast becoming a boring mess. It’s like they’ve blown their budget and no longer want to show actual
Bombing runs in depth and the air battles with it.

Caporegime

What I didn't understand was as you say the first raid on Berlin they come back with just 15 planes - so that implies tons of flak and Luftwaffe resistance.

Come the 2nd raid its the exact same route and this time they have Mustangs with them which apparently is a big reason for their success.

But where was the flak? It was like they'd flown all the way to within a few miles of Berlin before hitting any resistance on the way there or in the way back, but this time is just Luftwaffe but it's okay because they had the Mustangs and they're now able to hit the target.

Soldato
Just thinking they could have done something and seen what it was like whilst being Bombed in Berlin, like follow what was happening on the ground during a raid from a family perspective etc.

Associate
time skip in last episode was a let down, we basically went from october 1943, and it now seems the d day landings are imminent in June 44, and with 2 episodes left doesnt leave much time for other content, advancement of german jet fighters etc

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll finish it and while it hasn't been difficult to get through I can't see myself watching it again unless I'm desperate for this kind of show.

I can't even blame it on watching it weekly, it just feels.. not very good.

I've thought exactly the same thing.

I've watched BoB multiple times, about to watch Pacific for the second time, but highly doubt I will watch this again...just too bland for me, and the somewhat typical anti-British jibes irk me.

Soldato
Struggling to finish it, switched off the Oxford episode halfway through. I don't mind the anti-British stuff but it's ham-fisted, they could have made something interesting of the rivalry, but they didn't, could have made the overall strategic position and tactics interesting, but they didn't, could have dipped into the tech used and how it advanced, but they didn't, could have made something of the decision-making process up the Chain of Command, but they didn't, could have done a lot of thing better but they didn't...

It's just really mediocre all-round.

Back
Top Bottom