McLaren P15......Good God....it's just......wow, no words!

Man of Honour
24081113897_7926474098_o.jpg
24081113477_b7c84efc11_b.jpg
24081113337_35e468075b_b.jpg
24081113167_f4b8bd399a_b.jpg
24081112987_7a96ee2291_b.jpg
24081112487_ec547e430e_b.jpg
25074700068_a93045b553_b.jpg

I see they've gone with the Escudo Pikes Peak look

Soldato
Seems very much a function over form design consideration. Yes it's not pretty, but it's clearly designed as a car to go fast round a track, not look pretty on the street.

If you take what it is designed for then I love it.

The only bit I don't get is the glass lower door, surely that is heavier than a carbon panel if it was all about extremes?

Caporegime
You can order it with a carbon panel instead if you wish.

I personally love the upper door glass with the bisected panel as a nod to the old F1.

Soldato
Do not like. It just looks... Wrong somehow.

I don't think the rear wing suits it, and the see through doors are stupid.

the wing is the only thing that's truly wrong..........the car is flowing fore and aft, but the wing is going dead vertical and way too heavy looking, it needs two small wings attached to the end of the side panels, like the Lola has...........but this might not generate enough downforce

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is track only right?

It's aesthetics are acceptable for the track only, right.

It's fully road legal so not actually track only. The design brief was to produce “the most extreme, track-focused road car in McLaren's history". So yes even this car is compromised, and not perfect for road, or perfect for track, but it is the closest McLaren yet to be a purpose designed car to go around a track in the fastest time possible.

The next incarnation later next year the P15 GTR will be track only and not road legal.

the wing is the only thing that's truly wrong..........the car is flowing fore and aft, but the wing is going dead vertical and way too heavy looking, it needs two small wings attached to the end of the side panels, like the Lola has...........but this might not generate enough downforce

The rear wing is definitely function over form.

It is designed to switch angle automatically and almost constantly to tailor the amount of down-force available.

Looking at it from a purely design point of view It’s an incredibly interesting design, you can see that the mounting points are on the top surface to keep the far more important lower surface as clean as possible, given no constraints on design that is by far the best way to mount a wing.

All the aero on the car is fully movable and adjustable by the on-board electronics, including the ride height which can lower by over 50mm, between road to track modes, and that alone generates almost 40% extra down force.

Soldato
I like it because it looks like an engineering masterpiece.

I'm with you guys!

I am 100% with you guys.

This is a proper uncompromising race car which can be used on the road, although sadly I imagine many will simply sit in people's garages on display.

I reckon the wing, whilst functional, is deliberately garish to accentuate this point.

There are much softer designed supercars to appease daily use.

Back
Top Bottom