Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
On a 2018 M5, though I think it's the same regardless of age/model.

Under 60k miles: £1987.00 per year with £100 excess.

Over 60k miles: £4783.00 per year with £100 excess.

Blimey that’s a considerable chunk more. Also, the Mercedes extended warranty doesn’t require an excess and is the same price up to 100k miles.

That said, I think Mercedes make up their money on servicing costs as that seems to cost more

Soldato
Blimey that’s a considerable chunk more. Also, the Mercedes extended warranty doesn’t require an excess and is the same price up to 100k miles.

That said, I think Mercedes make up their money on servicing costs as that seems to cost more
FWIW I pay 42 quid a month for servicing. That includes the major one with spark plugs etc

Soldato
FWIW I pay 42 quid a month for servicing. That includes the major one with spark plugs etc

Same here, on a 2009 car. I continue to be surprised that they keep offering the service package and warranty/assistance for so long. They even used to waive the pickup fee for servicing but now sadly it’s £30.

They even give it a good wash.

Unfortunately I need a window mechanism fixed (the band is perished I think) and the last time they did that it was about £700 so they make their money back in other ways.

Soldato
A friend of mine has been asking if I will sell my C43 estate to him, for pretty much what I paid for it. I love my car and the only thing I can think of replacing it for £30-35k is a C63. Just not sure if I can live with the additional running costs. Someone tell me it's a bad idea.

Soldato
A friend of mine has been asking if I will sell my C43 estate to him, for pretty much what I paid for it. I love my car and the only thing I can think of replacing it for £30-35k is a C63. Just not sure if I can live with the additional running costs. Someone tell me it's a bad idea.
It is a bad idea tbh. The '43' is expensive enough to be only used infrequently. The '63' is a different league.

Source: I have an E43 and have been tempted by an E53 and an E63. It is painful enough to pay £42/mo and £400/year in servicing and warranty. To then only do <4k/miles.

I'd get something really spicey for so few miles but still need it for family duties.

Man of Honour

To be the devil on your shoulder, I went from a C43 estate to a C63 saloon. Day to day costs aren't worlds apart. It's actually more economical on long runs, I'd get around 33-34 in the C43, but easily hit 35-36, managed just a bit over that on the recent drive to Spa and back. Around town the C63 is slightly more thirsty, but...depends what your driving consists of. Neither use oil in between services, tax is the same, insurance was actually cheaper going to the C63 for some reason

Servicing is more expensive, A and B were 350/499 for the C43, whereas the two services I've had in the 63 were 500/900 but that service was a biggie, virtually everything changed so that's not a typical price. The next time that service comes around it will be around 650 apparently

Soldato
To be the devil on your shoulder, I went from a C43 estate to a C63 saloon. Day to day costs aren't worlds apart. It's actually more economical on long runs, I'd get around 33-34 in the C43, but easily hit 35-36, managed just a bit over that on the recent drive to Spa and back. Around town the C63 is slightly more thirsty, but...depends what your driving consists of. Neither use oil in between services, tax is the same, insurance was actually cheaper going to the C63 for some reason

Servicing is more expensive, A and B were 350/499 for the C43, whereas the two services I've had in the 63 were 500/900 but that service was a biggie, virtually everything changed so that's not a typical price. The next time that service comes around it will be around 650 apparently
Ah ffs now I am on AT looking at E53s again :D

Soldato
My GLA220d 4Matic sometimes wont rev past 3k and being auto is really frustrating as means it holds the gear ages with the rev not increasing before shifting.

Reading up it sounds like some sort of limp feature, usually turning off and on will clear it, plugged an ODBII reader in and only messages I am getting are related to DPF.

Its done a few trackdays now but most of the journeys are fairly local and less than half ish.

Thought it may be related to gearbox so got a quote from Merc to do a flush and filter change on the gearbox, about £400 so not too bad, but that was before reading about PPF.

Thoughts?

Soldato
My GLA220d 4Matic sometimes wont rev past 3k and being auto is really frustrating as means it holds the gear ages with the rev not increasing before shifting.

Reading up it sounds like some sort of limp feature, usually turning off and on will clear it, plugged an ODBII reader in and only messages I am getting are related to DPF.

Its done a few trackdays now but most of the journeys are fairly local and less than half ish.

Thought it may be related to gearbox so got a quote from Merc to do a flush and filter change on the gearbox, about £400 so not too bad, but that was before reading about PPF.

Thoughts?
Give the DPF a clean ?

Long drive high revs. or Maybe some DPF cleaner ? Thats what i'd do before paying for the gearbox to be done.

Soldato
So folks

2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition - goes in for service and MOT tomorrow (main dealer) - any guesses for this this lot?

1) Pick up service - £30
2) Service - on plan
3) MOT - £35
4) Issue 1 - drivers side windscreen washer jet pipe keeps popping off (I can put it back on but it just comes off again!)
5) Issue 2 - driver side window - I suspect the "band" is perished or whatever
6) Diagnostic fee £172 (for 5 & 6 - if I am right I do not get a discount :D )

Still they are very good usually and I do get the video!

Soldato
So folks

2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition - goes in for service and MOT tomorrow (main dealer) - any guesses for this this lot?

1) Pick up service - £30
2) Service - on plan
3) MOT - £35
4) Issue 1 - drivers side windscreen washer jet pipe keeps popping off (I can put it back on but it just comes off again!)
5) Issue 2 - driver side window - I suspect the "band" is perished or whatever
6) Diagnostic fee £172 (for 5 & 6 - if I am right I do not get a discount :D )

Still they are very good usually and I do get the video!
£1200 :D

Back
Top Bottom