Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Man of Honour
Mine is currently in Mercedes having warranty work done, replacing more broken bits. I have been delayed getting it into the garage, had to cancel twice, but dropped it off Saturday morning and now the wait for repair. They started to work on it at 3pm today (the app tells me) so hopefully they can get all the work done this week.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Mine is currently in Mercedes having warranty work done, replacing more broken bits. I have been delayed getting it into the garage, had to cancel twice, but dropped it off Saturday morning and now the wait for repair. They started to work on it at 3pm today (the app tells me) so hopefully they can get all the work done this week.
What's broken this time?

Soldato
what's the bill breakdown - too ? unexpected MOT issue

As above but adding, deep breath

Replace Driver Side window £870
Replace exhaust clamp £85

Window mechanism is on order so don‘t have the paper bill yet.

The also advised it’s getting close to replacing exhaust for £1200 (not sure which part, sure he meant the ”end bit at the back”

Fixing the squirters was free :D

Passed MOT no advisories.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean, of course I'd like the V8, but it's not happening and the performance figures from what I'm hearing and what we were told when at the AMG factory are just too good to ignore.

Performance figures aren’t everything though.

I’d definitely want to be driving one first.

Driving a soulless car, no matter how quick, just isn’t for me. May as well just get an electric car if you want performance.

And it’s 2.1 tonnes? Blimey. Heavy for a C class.

Soldato
As above but adding, deep breath

Replace Driver Side window £870
Replace exhaust clamp £85

Window mechanism is on order so don‘t have the paper bill yet.

The also advised it’s getting close to replacing exhaust for £1200 (not sure which part, sure he meant the ”end bit at the back”

Fixing the squirters was free :D

Passed MOT no advisories.
Shirley the window is a scrap yard job?

Soldato
I’ve not got the time, the tools or the skill for that :D I could change a wheel if required. It’s a main dealer so expected and it will last the life of the car. These days I expect a bill of about a grand each year anyway I see it as a cheap mild luxury car all paid for years ago.
Time to hunt down and switch to a reputable Indy maybe. The mechanisms are on eBay for 13 quid / 60 quid for a full window assembly.

Soldato
Time to hunt down and switch to a reputable Indy maybe. The mechanisms are on eBay for 13 quid / 60 quid for a full window assembly.
scissor mechanisms inside windows are difficult&costly(£60 ?) to replace - you need the hands&dexterity of a child, it's like a ship in a bottle.
had a 3series window that broke&twisted the mechanism one frosty morning - a couple of days before taking a ferry back to the UK, had to jerry-rig it shut.

Soldato
scissor mechanisms inside windows are difficult&costly(£60 ?) to replace - you need the hands&dexterity of a child, it's like a ship in a bottle.
had a 3series window that broke&twisted the mechanism one frosty morning - a couple of days before taking a ferry back to the UK, had to jerry-rig it shut.
For sure - I am just talking parts though. I get where CapitalOne is coming from, but for such an older car you want a mechanic is going to get a bit creative to keep those silly bills down. (aka gold dust).

Last edited:
Soldato
To be the devil on your shoulder, I went from a C43 estate to a C63 saloon. Day to day costs aren't worlds apart. It's actually more economical on long runs, I'd get around 33-34 in the C43, but easily hit 35-36, managed just a bit over that on the recent drive to Spa and back. Around town the C63 is slightly more thirsty, but...depends what your driving consists of. Neither use oil in between services, tax is the same, insurance was actually cheaper going to the C63 for some reason

Servicing is more expensive, A and B were 350/499 for the C43, whereas the two services I've had in the 63 were 500/900 but that service was a biggie, virtually everything changed so that's not a typical price. The next time that service comes around it will be around 650 apparently
Did you go for a C63 or C63S? I am not planning on adding any extra money to the pot so I would end up with an older car. Still undecided but my friend is still asking.

Man of Honour
Did you go for a C63 or C63S? I am not planning on adding any extra money to the pot so I would end up with an older car. Still undecided but my friend is still asking.

I went for a C63. For a while, I wish I got an S for the extra power, not particularly bothered about race mode and the other differences given I don't track it. But I'm running close to 600BHP now so...doesn't matter too much any more

Last edited:
Soldato
Performance figures aren’t everything though.

I’d definitely want to be driving one first.

Driving a soulless car, no matter how quick, just isn’t for me. May as well just get an electric car if you want performance.

And it’s 2.1 tonnes? Blimey. Heavy for a C class.
If you wait until you can drive a demonstration car before getting an order on the books, you probably won't take delivery for another 3 or 4 years though :p

Better off getting an order in and bailing out later if it turns out its not for you. Or flipping it if the market demand looks favourable for making a few quid.

Man of Honour
So my Mercedes GT R is now in the well loved "parts on back order" waiting list. Unlikely to see it back until middle to end of next week at the earliest. Normal Mercedes experience makes one feel warm.....

Dealer: "We are approaching Mercedes for a 'goodwill' contribution for you"

Housey: "Ermmmmm, what about the nice Mercedes Warranty I have to remind you of EVERY SINGLE TIME?"

Dealer: "Ah yes Mr Housey, you are 'in luck' as most warranties don't cover engine mounts, but yours are super flash ones and it does...."

Housey: "Good job I reminded you AGAIN about it then.....:mad:"

Anyway, this time it is engine mounts, last time is was transmission mounts apparently. So at least I can take comfort from the fact the same parts have not failed again....yet, just some more parts. Much win!

Oh, wait :(

Last edited:
Soldato
So my Mercedes GT R is now in the well loved "parts on back order" waiting list. Unlikely to see it back until middle to end of next week at the earliest. Normal Mercedes experience makes one feel warm.....

Dealer: "We are approaching Mercedes for a 'goodwill' contribution for you"

Housey: "Ermmmmm, what about the nice Mercedes Warranty I have to remind you of EVERY SINGLE TIME?"

Dealer: "Ah yes Mr Housey, you are 'in luck' as most warranties don't cover engine mounts, but yours are super flash ones and it does...."

Housey: "Good job I reminded you AGAIN about it then.....:mad:"

Anyway, this time it is engine mounts, last time is was transmission mounts apparently. So at least I can take comfort from the fact the same parts have not failed again....yet, just some more parts. Much win!

Oh, wait :(

Gosh, it really puts me off having a merc.

Shame as I really liked the E63 and GT R I drove.

Don
Front wheel bearing (90% sure that's what's wrong) needs doing on my SLK, going in this afternoon. They seem surprisingly cheap compared to what my Integra ones used to set me back..

Back
Top Bottom