Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
My C350e is due back soon and I'm looking at replacements. The C is great for work driving myself around but it's way too cramped for family purposes now we have a baby to go with an 11 year old. I'm very tall and nobody can sit comfortably behind me.

Pretty much decided I need an E Class Estate, and given the current absence of decent lease deals and potentially high mileage for work and holidays I think I'll just buy a used E220d. I'd like a 350 but they're very expensive and quite rare.

I like high spec cars - I definitely want Comand Online because the Garmin system is woeful, and I'd like the digital dash and 360 camera. Has anyone got the Driving Assistance Pack? I really like Adaptive Cruise and the other features look good too.
I've got a 2012 with the Driver Assistance Package (Distronic Plus, Lane assist, blind spot assist). The Distronic Plus is great and the blind spot assistance works too although I don't think you really need it. Lane assist is pointless IMO - keeping in your lane is a fundamental part of driving so if you need your car to pull you back into your lane then you shouldn't be driving. The lane assist pulled me towards more large trucks and through potholes so it got turned off and the vibrating steering wheel gets irritating too as it starts as soon as you go anywhere near a line.

Caporegime
My C350e is due back soon and I'm looking at replacements. The C is great for work driving myself around but it's way too cramped for family purposes now we have a baby to go with an 11 year old. I'm very tall and nobody can sit comfortably behind me.

Pretty much decided I need an E Class Estate, and given the current absence of decent lease deals and potentially high mileage for work and holidays I think I'll just buy a used E220d. I'd like a 350 but they're very expensive and quite rare.

I like high spec cars - I definitely want Comand Online because the Garmin system is woeful, and I'd like the digital dash and 360 camera. Has anyone got the Driving Assistance Pack? I really like Adaptive Cruise and the other features look good too.
I've got a 2018 E Class estate (220D) with Drive Pilot and the other associated bits and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

I know everyone says this about options they've paid for, but it changes my whole attitude to both commuting and long distance travel. It's utterly fantastic in my view. You can go for miles on French roads without touching the wheel just with a nudge of the knee every so often.

I also have COMAND online, wide-screen dash, 360 camera, Burmester, etc. so let me know if you have any questions about how they work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? That wont knacker the engine?
So I can put left foot on brake, right foot on revs and then let go?
Im not sure I want to try that!
(Its an auto by the way!)
Revving an engine with no load won’t do it any harm. You only want to rev it to about 3K anyway or you’ll just light up the rear tyres.

Soldato
I've got a 2018 E Class estate (220D) with Drive Pilot and the other associated bits and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

I know everyone says this about options they've paid for, but it changes my whole attitude to both commuting and long distance travel. It's utterly fantastic in my view. You can go for miles on French roads without touching the wheel just with a nudge of the knee every so often.

I also have COMAND online, wide-screen dash, 360 camera, Burmester, etc. so let me know if you have any questions about how they work.

Thanks. I spend most of my driving life trudging up and down the M6 and it’s just a chore of 50MPH roadworks and traffic congestion once you’re south of Preston these days, so something that will automate the process will suit me. We also like going to France but we haven’t been for the last 2 years because the boot on the C was too small.

Does COMAND online update its maps and/or OS over the air? What sort of long term average MPG do you get?

Soldato
Revving an engine with no load won’t do it any harm. You only want to rev it to about 3K anyway or you’ll just light up the rear tyres.
Cheers bud. Sorry for the very basic question.

So just to confirm, left on brake, press acclerator and rev up to 3k?

Presumably there the car will want to "move forward" similar to a manual with the clutch/biting point?

Another question.... when I first drove off with my car, I noticed on the navigation real time fuel prices! But for some reason i cant see these anymore... is there an option to enable this?

Soldato
Cheers bud. Sorry for the very basic question.

So just to confirm, left on brake, press acclerator and rev up to 3k?

Presumably there the car will want to "move forward" similar to a manual with the clutch/biting point?

Another question.... when I first drove off with my car, I noticed on the navigation real time fuel prices! But for some reason i cant see these anymore... is there an option to enable this?

Yep. It won't move until you release the brake, then it should ping off the line.

You must have COMAND for the fuel prices, - I've only got the Audio20 in my C Class so I don't get any nice stuff like that. Not sure how to turn it on, I guess it must need a data connection to download this information.

Soldato
Trigger pulled. Bought a 17 plate E220d AMG Line Premium Plus Estate in Designo Hyacynth Red. COMAND Online, Widescreen Cockpit, 360 Camera, Driving Assistance Plus Package. Approved Used from a distant MB dealer, 15K on the clock, one private owner. £8800 worth of options!

Car is a March 2017 registration so £30 road tax - didn't realise the tax changes came in on 1st April so saves me £435 a year for the next 4 years :)

Caporegime
Trigger pulled. Bought a 17 plate E220d AMG Line Premium Plus Estate in Designo Hyacynth Red. COMAND Online, Widescreen Cockpit, 360 Camera, Driving Assistance Plus Package. Approved Used from a distant MB dealer, 15K on the clock, one private owner. £8800 worth of options!

Car is a March 2017 registration so £30 road tax - didn't realise the tax changes came in on 1st April so saves me £435 a year for the next 4 years :)

Sounds nice. When do you get it and how much did you pay?

Pics please!

Man of Honour
Black alloys (the diamond cut were finished), gloss metallic orange callipers, dechrome. Absolutely thrilled. It looks so much better. Tempted to get the windows tinted too, but worried that might be going a bit far.

4jvvF64.jpg

aNzRVFT.jpg

eav13LG.jpg

oJSDu3b.jpg

H524MSJ.jpg

Man of Honour
Genuine question why did you not get the wheels re-cut? Diamondcut is infinitely classier and nicer in all lighting conditions than any black wheel on the planet. Gloss black will also look dirty dark brown after a short while once road filth and dust settles on the surface!

Man of Honour
Genuine question why did you not get the wheels re-cut? Diamondcut is infinitely classier and nicer in all lighting conditions than any black wheel on the planet. Gloss black will also look dirty dark brown after a short while once road filth and dust settles on the surface!

The diamond cut just don’t last long, even without kerbing them. Personal preference too, have wanted to do this for ages and with increasingly corroded wheels and callipers I figured I would take the plunge. There is also an edition with the black badges, so figured I would get those done too.

Still undecided on the windows, but wonder whether that is a step too far.

Back
Top Bottom