#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Caporegime
Why is that?

I would hazard a guess that many women felt odd lodging a complaint back in the day simply because it would not be taken seriously, so they instead pretended it never happened. Some people in this thread are saying that it would have been better to complain about it at the time, as it may have helped other victims or changed people mindset/behavior.

Because as you put it, it probably wouldn't get taken seriously.

Soldato
Precisely.

It is funny how many of these negative comments towards these women reporting these things years later can be applied to men.

A lot of these women would not just have to deal with being taken seriously but also battling the male from a weaker professional positions and maybe even fear of their partners reactions or the reactions of those around her should the story get twisted. Yes there are people out there trying their luck for a cash out but i would imagine that harassment in some mild form(degrading unwanted cheeky comment or whatever) is fairly commonplace even now.

Associate
Same here. Thought he'd been convicted. Good example of how a man's reputation can be destroyed.

When's the last time a man acquitted from a sexual harassment allegation was publicly named on the news with as much effort to pardon them as they do to shame them?

Man of Honour
My biggest problem with this #MeToo movement is how bad it's being hijacked by SJW types pushing an agenda on it and now people can be tarnished without fair trial.

The mentality behind these movements have changed from actually trying to do good, to a mob mentality. [..]

What makes you assume that wasn't the point of it from the start? It was always a perfect vehicle for that, so I think it's more likely that's what it was made for. I suppose it's possible that the people who started it were somehow unaware of what they'd done, but I think that's less likely.

Soldato
When's the last time a man acquitted from a sexual harassment allegation was publicly named on the news with as much effort to pardon them as they do to shame them?

It's like what happened to Cliff Richard. The press went on about how he MIGHT be dodgy, the police raided his house and found absolutely no evidence at all. The press took about 5 seconds to explain he did nothing wrong.

The laws need changing so that if you make a serious allegation like this which turns out to be BS AND lie to the court, you lose all anonymity and get charged.

Soldato
Was anyone sacked from the BBC over the Cliff Richard affair ? and yes, do not remember the BBC on-air apology being significant.

But the #MeToo is, I think, now doing a disservice to the many cases of rape and sexual offence allegations which the Police are not able to pursues to trial
(inadequate resources, training...the conviction rate as a percentage of recorded allegations has fallen, from 15 per cent in 2011-12 to 7.5 per cent in 2015-16)
and baggaging these with the Hollywood cases (themselves pending trial) with the 'casting couch' allegations - am I wrong to distinguish between the two ?
it is difficult to put yourself in the place of the (latter) women who felt so disempowered in these 'situations'.

V F

V F

Soldato
Was anyone sacked from the BBC over the Cliff Richard affair ? and yes, do not remember the BBC on-air apology being significant.

But the #MeToo is, I think, now doing a disservice to the many cases of rape and sexual offence allegations which the Police are not able to pursues to trial
(inadequate resources, training...the conviction rate as a percentage of recorded allegations has fallen, from 15 per cent in 2011-12 to 7.5 per cent in 2015-16)
and baggaging these with the Hollywood cases (themselves pending trial) with the 'casting couch' allegations - am I wrong to distinguish between the two ?
it is difficult to put yourself in the place of the (latter) women who felt so disempowered in these 'situations'.

Feelings and jumping on the bandwagon got in the way.

Caporegime
Anyone else looking forward to Harvey Weinstein's book?

5b0ecd30ceec01350a5b005056a9545d

Caporegime

****ing LOL :D

I know people used to mock Tosno for talking about "Betas" and [banned word] relating to the behaviour of Cuckoos but that guy really is one!

Over the summer, Geoffrey Knight is in bed with a woman he is dating. He puts his hand on her breast, and she swats it away. “You need to ask before you touch me,” he recalls her saying. Knight apologizes, saying he had assumed it was okay because they had just had sex.
[...]
He has completed a two-month discussion class on how to reject toxic masculinity. He still has his “Consent is sexy” T-shirt from freshman year of college. He has thought about how men have the power in courtship, and with that, the ability to abuse it. So when he meets a woman while out at a bar, rather than ask for her number and potentially make her feel pressured to give it, he will give her his number and wait for her to text.

Back
Top Bottom