#MeToo - is it just different for men and women?

Permabanned
you have not met the right women, the Apple sweat-shops with them assembling the intricate internal workings of the iphone .....
- recent news article saying the dexterity of both genders is reducing beacuse we don't sew, do diy, or many manual tasks, so surgeons need more training.

When they work on them with them turned on I'll re-contemplate the above :) For now I don't appraise a surgeon on whether they can repetitively assemble a small part of a telephone on a production line ;)

Soldato
definitely applies to men victims as well.

I remember a female worker who had large boobs that used to deliberately push them to my back when moving behind me, she had a boyfriend and didnt even get on with me, probably trying to provoke a reaction followed by sexual misconduct from me.

Also I think women using their bodies to further their careers against male bosses counts as sexual harassment as well.

Caporegime
Looks like university men's rugby clubs had better change their culture in the #MeToo era... granted *some* rugby "lads" can be ****s at times.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...closes-controversial-mens-rugby-club-attempt/

UCL students' union has shut down its controversial men's rugby club and withdrawn its funding after team members attempted to hold a banned initiation ceremony.

Attendees were required to sign non-disclosure agreements to prevent the union from finding out that it was taking place, The Telegraph understands.

[...]

The ban follows an incident in June, when rugby team members were disciplined and banned from the university’s bars for chanting sexist songs on a bus.

In a video seen by the Telegraph, members sang a song about “treating” a woman to a “threesome”.

I believe the bus antics where they sang sexist songs actually caused them to be disaffiliated but that disaffiliation to be suspended meaning they were basically on their last warning to cut out the toxic masculinity. Of course being a student rugby club they likely have a long tradition of initiation ceremonies presumably involving excessive alcohol assumption and have, perhaps naively, decided that an NDA is somehow going to protect them from the union... rather silly of them.

I'm presuming the leadership team at UCL's student union are not big drinkers:

X6HOhSG.png

Edit - actually to be fair the telegraph has downplayed the earlier incident in today's article, looking back there seems to be a bit more to the allegations of sexist bus chants:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/27/ucl-rugby-team-disciplined-sexist-chant-night/

The incident, which took place in June on a sports club night out, saw the rugby team singing a song about “treating” a woman to a “threesome”.

The men also sat on members of the women’s hockey team, who refused to move to allow them to sit on the back seats of the bus.

In a video seen by The Telegraph, the students can also be heard chanting, “Mohammed can’t play rugby because his headwear is illegal,” and pounding their fists on the roof of the bus.

Facepalm - to be fair those bits are pretty damn stupid of them in [current year] and almost certainly wouldn't have won them many friends among the sabbatical officers. Numpties....

Last edited:
Caporegime
It seems like Harvey Weinstein who was the catalyst for the whole #metoo movement is pretty much bullet proof, every time I see an article about him it's him presenting a list of emails or texts where his accuser is acting like he's the greatest man on earth at a date after they claim he did something terrible to them.

Soldato
well, rugby (and hockey clubs even more) in university were always full of jerks (both male and female) - they were when i was a student 25 years ago and they still are now (i unfortunately sometimes have to get a bus that they also get).

Caporegime
It seems like Harvey Weinstein who was the catalyst for the whole #metoo movement is pretty much bullet proof, every time I see an article about him it's him presenting a list of emails or texts where his accuser is acting like he's the greatest man on earth at a date after they claim he did something terrible to them.

It's almost as if they invited his actions knowing that there would be a benefit.

Permabanned
It's almost as if they invited his actions knowing that there would be a benefit.

Surely not doing an honest hooker out of a nights work? ;) The guy's got the dosh to defend himself robustly, some are not so fortunate. Men are letting women emancipate them these days, sad. Women willl be unemployable at this rate. A girl I know tells me hardly evr will a bloke stop and give here a lift if hitch hiking in the UK nowadays, I know I give `em a swerve, not worth the risk of picking up a feminist / nutter.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sounds like a load of risk averse back office types... just know who your friends are, who to avoid and what the limits are.
Agreed, it is indeed risk averse office types. But the point is that these very high earning risk averse office types are avoiding being alone with women. That's certainly going to affect the office environment long term. It may start to hurt young women's career prospects long term if they are excluded. Inevitably, though, that may lead to discrimination cases as there will be a widening gap in the number of women being employed.

Soldato
This seems to follow the theme that when a man is accused of a sexual crime, he should roll over and accept his punishment else he will only discourage other women from putting men forward for prosecution in the future.

It seems that Salmond wasn't prepared to roll over after all.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...lawfully-over-alex-salmond-claims-court-rules

Finally I would reiterate that the single procedural flaw which led to this decision is deeply regrettable. In particular, I regret the distress it will cause to the two women who raised the complaints.”

Not a peep about the distress caused to Mr. Salmond; he's just another one that got off the hook with the aid of that pesky established legal process... Lost his job etc..

Back
Top Bottom