Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Associate
Finally got to speak to a doctor friend of mine, they have been following this at the hospital where she works also, and they belive that over the next few days the media reports will get worse before it gets better simply due to the nature of the injury

However...

They seem to have come to the consensus, that due to the high quality immediate care he has received, he stands a very high probability of surviving...

This basically. In severe head trauma the initial few days to a week are very uncertain and with continued blooming of contusions means that medics have to give a grave picture and a massive rebleed is a possibility, though unlikely. It would appear that he has had an early decompressive craniectomy/craniotomy (or possible burrhole) and is receiving close to maximal levels of treatment so will likely survive but no one (and I mean no one) will be able to tell at this time on the timeline of recovery and how much function he will have. It could be from a persistent vegetative state (unlikely) to a full mental and physical recovery (again, unlikely, unfortunately), what is certain that it will take years, if anyone watched the James Cracknell and Ben Fogel programmes last week it showed a little of his recovery from what was a still severe but less so traumatic brain injury. That F1 doc blog has some good technical explanations. The media needs to quit with the constant coverage, this is a marathon, not a sprint and there is going to be little certain or useful information over the next few days.

Caporegime
The reports are that he was off-piste with his son and personally I think that's pretty irresponsible of him to take a 14 year old off-piste but then Schumi has never worried about doing the responsible thing.

Taking a 14 year old off piste isn't automatically irresponsible. It's the norm in fact.

Whether or not taking a 14 yo off-pisting is irresponsible is defined by whether or not you have matched the ability and the ambition to the difficulty, in the same way as on-piste skiing is. You need to look at it in the context of the slope. There's loads of pisted slopes that are far more dangerous and difficult than a gentle off piste section right next to a pisted area might be.

I'm guessing you've never been skiing, because you see some seriously good 14 year olds and some seriously bad 30 year olds. It's more irresponsible to take a poor 30 year old off piste than it is to take a talented 14 year old off piste.

Soldato
Would he care if it was you or I in a coma? I fear not somehow.

Yay, lets feed the troll!

Taking a 14 year old off piste isn't automatically irresponsible. It's the norm in fact.

Whether or not taking a 14 yo off-pisting is irresponsible is defined by whether or not you have matched the ability and the ambition to the difficulty, in the same way as on-piste skiing is. You need to look at it in the context of the slope. There's loads of pisted slopes that are far more dangerous and difficult than a gentle off piste section right next to a pisted area might be.

I'm guessing you've never been skiing, because you see some seriously good 14 year olds and some seriously bad 30 year olds. It's more irresponsible to take a poor 30 year old off piste than it is to take a talented 14 year old off piste.

Yup. I'm in the "seriously bad 30's category". When you see some of the kids whizzing around you think "**** me, they're awesome!". Packs of juniors making me look like a massive lumox. Many of them no older than 6 or 7.

Soldato
Yup. I'm in the "seriously bad 30's category"
Same :o. I went on a snowboarding course at Xscape - desperately wanting to be good at it. I wasn't. I used to skate, and surfed for nearly 10 years so assumed I'd be good at it.
My brother who also came along, (and couldn't have given two hoots about it) was friggin awesome. Figures.

A guy on our course busted his knee big time - he got carted off to A&E.

Caporegime
Yes you're right, what are people thinking posting about a world famous F1 driver and his injuries who gave pleasure to millions of people?
Close thread.

Whilst I don't agree with the post you quoted, it did surprise me to find this is apparently the most important story in the world yesterday, topping the headlines and necessitating live reporting from the front door of his hospital. I don't think one man's skiing accident, no matter how famous, should have that much news precedence.

smr

smr

Soldato
BBC Sport 10:05am 31st December

Michael Schumacher's condition has improved after an operation to relieve pressure on his brain, doctors say

More to follow.

YES!!

Soldato
*image of rocks*

From that picture, it looks like it was a bit misleading to say he was "off-piste".
While technically correct that he was on an unpisted area of snow, it looks no more than 10metres from the piste. Just a small area between 2 groomed pistes. There wouldnt be any avalanche risk there or chance of getting lost and is still within the ski patrol area. Obviously there are still hidden obstacles under the snow though.

For those saying he was irresponsible to take his son off-piste, that picture should change your mind.

Back
Top Bottom