Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Soldato
Speaking as a non fan of motor racing all the problems seem to be concerned with overtaking so why haven't they made the tracks wider?
The incident I was describing involved Redbull's Vettel passing his team mate when they'd been instructed by their team to remain in their relative positions until the race finish.

Vettel, unable to suppress his competitive edge, defied orders and took Webber's place while Webber was cruising along. It was hilarious. Webber looked like he was about to burst into tears immediately after the race.

So not really a standard overtaking incident.

Associate
I watched a bit of F1 after Senna died but I lost interest, Schumacher coming up to the height of his career brought me back but I lost interest again after a few years... I really hope he does get better but can't help feeling it could easily go the other way :(

Soldato
Speaking as a non fan of motor racing all the problems seem to be concerned with overtaking so why haven't they made the tracks wider?

Track layout is more important than track width. Newer tracks are designed with tools that drivers have to aid overtaking - take Abu Dhabi for example. Twisty, technical, but only a couple of real overtaking places which make the most of DRS and KERS.

KERS stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery System which (until the end of this season) gave the drivers 7 seconds of boost per lap, another 80bhp or so to use as they wish. DRS stands for drag reduction system, which you could only use when within a second of the car in front and when conditions suit. If it's a damp track or there has been an accident in the vicinity then it's disabled for safety reasons. This opened a gap in the rear wing increasing acceleration speeds. This combined with KERS made for a lot of 'artificial' overtaking. From 2014 this will be 'ERS' - a system making use of all the spare energy to provide 33 seconds of boost per lap, giving an extra (not certain, someone clarify please) 100bhp.

Classic tracks such as Monza, Silverstone, Interlagos etc are loved because of their high-speed, sweeping corners, small slower speed technical sectors and plenty of opportunity to overtake. Newer tracks just simply don't have that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
KERS stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery System which (until the end of this season) gave the drivers 7 seconds of boost per lap, another 80bhp or so to use as they wish.

but wouldn't this just be like when you try and overtake on a dual carriageway and the idiot to your left suddenly decides to put his 'KERS' on?

Great reply btw.

Soldato
This is for the people who do wish to discuss the Michael Schumacher incident - I understand that the original OP wanted the thread closed, however I was genuinely interested in the topic, and know that other were also.

Mods feel free to close this thread if you so wish, however I still would like the option to discuss, and know that others would too.

If you want it kept to the Motors section then again I fully understand, however know that not everyone ventures in there.

Don
It was closed at the original poster's request and had gone wildly off the original topic :)

latest :

"Grenoble University Hospital say there are no plans to provide update from them or Schumacher's management today."

Soldato
OP
Perhaps I was too hasty in asking for it to be closed, & the mod who closed it super efficient, maybe it can be unclosed it if you like.

As Anticonscience said, perhaps it should have been clean up a bit, several posts, got in to a personal slanging match, which something I didn't want, it was about Schumacher's condition, & the pro & cons of his F1 career could have been discussed ther as well or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom