Michael Schumacher 'Hurt In Skiing Accident'

Soldato
He is in an induced coma yer.

Apparently they wanted to bring him out of it, but after CT scans came back the condition of his brain wasn't great still.

Its still a bloody long time to be in a coma for, regardless of it being induced or not. I think the doctors said something like "If he can still walk and dress himself that would be a major victory".

Chances are, at the very best hes gonna have to learn to walk again and do a whole bunch of other stuff like that. Worst case? vegetable.

My question is, he hit his head on a rock, and he had a helmet on right? I guess helmets aren't designed to take the impact of a rock :/

Yes is spelt yes, not yer.

Also - your question is completely retarded.

Associate
Why its retarded? I'm not asking why the helmet didn't work. I was being sarcastic with the "I guess helmets aren't designed", I was asking if he actually did hit his head on a rock and if he did have a helmet on.

Yes is spelt yes? Wow how long did it take you to figure that out you genius. Rofl.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes is spelt yes, not yer.

Also - your question is completely retarded.

Pretty ****** response.

Helmets are designed to reduce the impact on the skull, however they are not indestructible. I have seen someone in a helmet hit their head so hard that the helmet split in two and fell off. Without the helmet they would have most likely died.

It's a little known fact that if you crash and hit your head while wearing a helmet you should inspect it and it's recommended that you replace it.

If Michael hadn't been wearing a helmet, he would be dead.

Man of Honour
I have seen someone in a helmet hit their head so hard that the helmet split in two and fell off. Without the helmet they would have most likely died.

That was me 12 months and two days ago.
I woke up in A&E with a £100 split helmet but I'm 100% convinced it saved my life or at the very least saved me from an horrendous skull/brain injury.

Associate
Helmets do crack. As an official at motorcycle road races in N.Ireland I can honestly say that even very well known brands / expensive "lids" can definitely crack into a few pieces on a heavy impact.

Man of Honour
That was me 12 months and two days ago.
I woke up in A&E with a £100 split helmet but I'm 100% convinced it saved my life or at the very least saved me from an horrendous skull/brain injury.

Money well spent, if it split a helment goodness only knows what it would have done direct to the skull.

Soldato
Helmets do crack. As an official at motorcycle road races in N.Ireland I can honestly say that even very well known brands / expensive "lids" can definitely crack into a few pieces on a heavy impact.

That's what they're supposed to do.. That's why they say after a heavy smack / crash, you're supposed to never use your helmet again, as its integrity has been compromised. Even if its not immediately visible. It's all part of the impact absorption process.

Associate
That's what they're supposed to do.. That's why they say after a heavy smack / crash, you're supposed to never use your helmet again, as its integrity has been compromised. Even if its not immediately visible. It's all part of the impact absorption process.

Even after a moderate hit it should be checked. We wont pass a helmet to race that has been visibly damaged in a hit. In the case of a bad crash we will mark it with invisible ink so that even if its re-painted that it is not allowed to race.

Associate
I think they actually go as far to say that if you drop it from anything around hip heigh (handle bars on a motorbike) then it most likely should be replaced.

Anyways even though I've never followed him or f1 too much, I really do genuinely hope that he pulls through and makes a quick recovery but I would imagine the reality is that it will be a very slow, frustrating and painful recovery.

Associate
I think they actually go as far to say that if you drop it from anything around hip heigh (handle bars on a motorbike) then it most likely should be replaced.

Anyways even though I've never followed him or f1 too much, I really do genuinely hope that he pulls through and makes a quick recovery but I would imagine the reality is that it will be a very slow, frustrating and painful recovery.

Ive heard mixed reviews. Ive been told that its not the outer impact you really need to worry about as the carbon fibre shells are pretty tough but if its been worn and impacted then the inner padding will have been compressed and thats when it becomes a danger if its then impacted again with an already compressed inner protective layer.

Im not 100% sure on that id need to check.

Associate
Get well soon, man! I really didn't think the accident would be this serious based on initial reports of him being conscious on the way to hospital and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom