Motorsport Manager

Associate
Starting to get better results from qualifying now, its still a mess, but finding ways to take advantage and get clean runs in.
Easiest is when you know theres going to be rain coming, and either make sure you're out straight away and to hell with temps, just rush to the line. If you can see its just a passing shower, its often worth pitting in regardless of whether a timed lap has been completed.
If its dry, or the rain has trailed off, i find that around 5min in (3min left on my 8min session) theres a lull between cars pitting from their timed lap and those going out to start a new lap (in most cases, without the time left to start the lap!).

I also unknowingly brought in a mechanic a few races back who had a 2nd perk was to allow the driver access to a 6th engine mode that uses even more juice for better performance. I just tried it and took pole 1.5sec ahead of teammate who's in a better car and similar driving skill. They run out of fuel about 3/4 round their in-lap though :D (edit - wouldnt enable that perk for the race though, but for quali why not)

Also took my first win, a 1-2 in fact. Wet Brazil track, iirc changeable conditions in qual and i managed to get my cars over the line early and got 1st & 4th on the grid. Race start i somehow managed to get my 4th guy into 2nd, and decided to try and do a Hamilton and back those mofo's up. Worked an absolute treat too. Main driver hammering her tyres and going safe on fuel, while the other guy was going as slow as i possibly could. What i didnt realise was i'd accidentally put on a new part i hadnt made reliable, a 45% brake, fortunately it was on the lead car and only a 6sec job so i got that out of the way in the first stop, and pretty much left them to it (i did screw up and pit them 2-laps before dry weather came in, which made things tighter than it should). The 2nd place guy, i just had to focus all my time on him, letting them bunch 3rd-8th up and if one got close along a straight and looked to be in a different racing line, have them go full-speed to prevent the pass. I actually lost 2nd for 3-4 laps but thanks to fuel saving (3+ laps excess iirc) i was able to keep chasing after them and take the place back before putting the brakes back on.

A bit lame in a way, but also quite challenging at the same time. What i noticed was that i felt more vulnerable in those few laps i was going 100% rather than those i was backing them up. They seem to get stuck there, just follow along and simply dont get momentum up to make a pass. The times i was vulnerable were when they'd slammed on the brakes and i'd pulled away enough for them to gather momentum and try something. So bunching them up was strategically the best thing i could do to simply keep them behind me.

Associate
Ended up finishing 4th in the WMC constructors, and wasnt too far off 3rd in the end as my car was definitely starting to become competitive. Final race i was about 35sec behind the leader with 3-4 laps to go but they'd gone super-softs and i went safe with softs so i could still push a little if need be. I'd expected them to pit, they'd be in and out with a good 10-15sec in hand, instead they carried on and by the time i'd realised how much they'd dropped off the pace it was the last lap and i was 15sec behind, gave it full whack and even with a handful of backmarkers i ended up passing them in the exit to the finish line :D

Took manager of the season, and my #1 (in contract only) driver got driver of the season, despite being beat on pts by 6 others including my #2 driver who came 6th, didnt compete in the first 2 races, and had the inferior car the whole time! His contract was terminated on the same day and replaced with a T3 scouted driver who looks as good as any driver in the field really, only disappointing factor is a 9 for smoothness (lock-ups) but the rest are largely 18-20s.

Started work on the 4th tier factory (42wk wait! basically a whole season), and left with £36.6m and a chassis to build. Top spec is £57.6m though - ouch!
Gonna end up paying £38.7m and carrying 2m debt (got 1 performance sponsor slot to be filled too), and ive tried sacrificing 'improvability' stats without doing too much of a dent to the other stat the part influences. Im pretty sure -2m will be enough to build a part before the season starts and beyond that im getting somewhere over 2m profit per race with a modest top-7 bonus. Pretty sure top-3 should be the target for the first half.

-- edit --
RR joined not-Ferrari, however not-Vettel has retired which is handy, and the main not-Mercedes driver, who im convinced won about 2/3s of the races and was subsequently penalised down a dozen places, has moved to what i'd assume is Not-Renault as they're French.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Second season with predator. First race RR wins with a 30 second margin. His team mate ends up in 16th. The car is getting better though and the HQ has had a few upgrades. My cheap chassis seems to be doing well :)

Need the test track to be finished so that I can build a better engine.

Associate
Re-started a new game the other day with Predator, got myself up into Asia Championship by the end of season 2. Season 3 finished 5th in the Asia Championship, now pushing on hopefully for promotion this season - no races yet completed pre-testing finished 5th and 8th - almost 4 star improvability.

As many others, I can't stand the qualifying. It drives me mad, all that time perfecting your set up for your timed lap to be spoilt by someone on an out or in lap. :mad:

So spend all my practise making sure race trim is as high as it can go. Then just do instant result for qualifying.

Caporegime
The AI during qualification really annoys me. They seldom move out of the way.

Qualification sessions need to be longer.

the ai sucks entirely.

guy has +20 overtake sits behind a car 5-10seconds slower lap after lap.

set the game engine to 3rd speed and watch how cars follow each other the following car seems to brake all the time even when they shouldn't on the oval circuit its really pronounced.

often they will end up behind a backmarker on an oval whos going around half speed of everyone else and then sit behind them for 10 seconds whilst everyone else zooms past

Associate
The problem with skipping quali is that you lose places you'd otherwise be able to snatch. Its probably a truer representation of everyones ability, but screw them, qual is the same crappy experience for everyone and finding ways to get one over the others is basically how i looked at it. If i can find myself a window i'll be avg 6th-8th, if i let it auto qual i'll be 10-11th, yey.
After first realising how bad it is i started saving the session and just watching them and i noticed there is a point where they're all on the track and about 2/3 of them are on their in-lap. Thats usually the best time to send them out, because by the time you're crossing the line to start the lap those on the in-lap should have pitted by then and only the few who were doing their timed lap are still out there and now on their in-lap.

Its not foolproof, because if you leave it too long those first cars will exit the pits too, and you dont want them pulling out and slowing you the whole lap.

Just save a session (press space the moment you've skipped the series animation so its paused before you even see the track) and keep redoing the session. Its not about getting the best result then moving on, but about understanding what works best so you can do this again at future sessions. If you're learning and constantly getting slapped by this mess of a Q, you'll get fed up and skip it.

FWIW, adding more time wouldnt solve it. While theres cars doing in/out laps crawling round the track, we'll always get screwed. If needs AI that can see slow cars and pick a different lane, it'd also be nice if the blue-flag drivers took the outside line rather than the optimal one. If they fix the core AI issues then it fixes the biggest issue with qual, cos right now more time just means more opportunities for AI to come out and screw you again.

Soldato
Decided to hire RR to find out what all the fuss was about, he is pure lol. Playing as predator got an awful car, he smashes first place every single race lol.

Oh I've noticed since the last patch the AI now runs out of fuel before the end of every race, so I just top up on my last pit stop and if I'm anywhere within 20-25 secs of 1st place I'll just overtake them all on the final lap and win lol.

Associate
Decided to hire RR to find out what all the fuss was about, he is pure lol. Playing as predator got an awful car, he smashes first place every single race lol.

Oh I've noticed since the last patch the AI now runs out of fuel before the end of every race, so I just top up on my last pit stop and if I'm anywhere within 20-25 secs of 1st place I'll just overtake them all on the final lap and win lol.

RR?

Soldato
So I hired a Finish test driver, Staven. He has 2 stars but potential to get to 4. If I just go ahead and stick him in as a main driver, how long might I be looking at to get him to 4 stars? Longer than I could have him under contract?

Caporegime
So I hired a Finish test driver, Staven. He has 2 stars but potential to get to 4. If I just go ahead and stick him in as a main driver, how long might I be looking at to get him to 4 stars? Longer than I could have him under contract?

probably about 10 seasons lol its like 1-4% improvement each race depending on your facilities levels

Man of Honour
Rafeal Rodriguez, hes a bit of a cheaty driver to hire though.

Yup, comes 1st or 2nd most races now. His team mate, albeit not the best driver, usually ends up outside the top 10. Had my first 1-2 last race though in changeable conditions. Most of the AI pit one lap too early.

However much I develop my predator car I can't get higher than 9th in terms of performance. I have developed every part as much as my hq will allow. Now upgrading the rest of the hq to be able to built better than good parts. I do worry that I will never catch the AI teams.

No idea who I will replace RR with!

Last edited:
Associate
The key with RR is to lock him into a long contract and then move up a series when he is saying he wants to race in a better league. I have had him for 6 years now. I hired him on the second to last race of the first season.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Started my fourth season within the Euro Championship yesterday. And I'm still loving this game!

Towards the end of my last season I was able to turn ZRT into a mid-level team.

At present I'm running with Sergio Valdes and Elliot Marsch. Both decent drivers.

Last season I opted to spend loads - previous season I was too afraid to fall into red. Now I'm thinking sod it. I've decided to plow loads of money into development. It's slowly paying off.

Our first race of season 4 was a complete and utter mess. Both cars were rear ended within the first two laps. As a result we finished last :)

Man of Honour
The key with RR is to lock him into a long contract and then move up a series when he is saying he wants to race in a better league. I have had him for 6 years now. I hired him on the second to last race of the first season.

Very close to winning the European series, but with the 9th best car it seems a little early to move up.

Back
Top Bottom