MP Jo Cox murdered in West Yorkshire [Thread title edited]

Soldato
I've not read the post, I just wanted to remark how sad it is someone fighting their opinions in a political stance led to their death in this country.

The shameful part is, all the other politicians now using this as ammo to reinforce the 'stay in' argument. It's sickening. I'm vote leave personally. But seeing how these pigs are USING this poor womans death as a chip to play in politics really should be a criminal defence...

****ing scum.

Politicians being politicians, who'd have thought it?

Soldato
Hold on a second guys, so is fine for her husband to use her death on the BBC today for pushing political views, but the rest of the world are condemned if they argue against it?

Seriously? Hypocrisy to all it's glory by quite a few in here.

Caporegime
Hold on a second guys, so is fine for her husband to use her death on the BBC today for pushing political views, but the rest of the world are condemned if they argue against it?

Seriously? Hypocrisy to all it's glory by quite a few in here.

Well its her husband, its fine.

Soldato
I've not read the post, I just wanted to remark how sad it is someone fighting their opinions in a political stance led to their death in this country.

The shameful part is, all the other politicians now using this as ammo to reinforce the 'stay in' argument. It's sickening. I'm vote leave personally. But seeing how these pigs are USING this poor womans death as a chip to play in politics really should be a criminal defence...

****ing scum.

Well this 78 year old chap got punched for handing out remain leaflets:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...for-handing-out-remain-leaflets-a7093386.html

Man of Honour
Why do people think things like this influence only 'other people'? Im not influenced by this death at all and I am sure most people aren't. The media might seek to use it and talk about the huge influence this has had for the stay campaign, but they have strong agendas so it suits agendas and clicks onto websites.

Soldato
Why do people think things like this influence only 'other people'? Im not influenced by this death at all and I am sure most people aren't. The media might seek to use it and talk about the huge influence this has had for the stay campaign, but they have strong agendas so it suits agendas and clicks onto websites.

Polls and bookmakers have both seen shifts away from Leave since Thursday. That may or may not be due to Jo Cox, though I think that's probably a big part of it.

Soldato
Glad to hear the chap who intervened is on the mend now.

Polls and bookmakers have both seen shifts away from Leave since Thursday. That may or may not be due to Jo Cox, though I think that's probably a big part of it.

Hard to say. The momentum was there before Jo's death (my summary as a campaigner is in the speakers corner thread), and 80% of the polling internally for Remain was done prior to the news breaking, I believe. Other polls varied, but a lot of the work would have been also carried out prior to the suspension of the official campaigns and tributes from Jo's colleagues, family and friends and her final article being published. Whatever comes in at the last minute will naturally capture a bit more campaigning and the recent debate, so again, it would be hard to ascribe a large measurable shift solely to the heinous crime discussed in this thread, even if there was political motivation behind it. Indeed from what has been uncovered of Mair's past suggests his views go further back and much deeper than the referendum itself. Not much else to be said until the case concludes and he is sentenced.

It will however give pause to those who up till recently would've taken Farage's rhetoric, indeed Leave.EU/GO in general, and their antics as an unquestionable boon to the Leave argument/Conservatism in the UK. Which it isn't. Especially if the offender insists delivering an even more extreme version of it in court to bring attention to and rationalise his actions, as he seems to be doing now. The murder Mair committed is a shocking end to a promising political career, a blow to a loving family and a flagrant attack on our representative democracy.

I hope lessons are learned from this tragedy by all political parties and PR spinners, but I doubt it. Negative campaigning and its toxic effects are well and truly entrenched in British politics at the moment.

I can feel an emotional rant coming on, particularly after the general garbage that's been doing rounds on Twitter and FB, so I better leave it here. Let's remember and pay our respects to who Jo was and what she stood for as an MP and a human being trying to do her public duty to improve her community and country to the best of her ability; outside the zealotry of this referendum and the sickening, paranoid and hateful bile spouted by a few hyperactive trolls on social media, whatever their political affiliation.

Man of Honour

I don't think any of the polls are representative. We will stay in and I suspect by a fair margin too. People talk a good game in the UK, but come the box ticking will bottle it. My view.

Back
Top Bottom