• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290/290X Gaming Edition Thread

Associate
Delivered, fitted and up and running! :)
Already had a black screen within 15 mins of installing the 13.12 drivers... :(
I'd ran firestrike just to see how it scored (pleased with the results!) and had just loaded GPUZ and bam! Black screen.
Not a good start. Common problem? Loads of threads on it but no firm solutions. Should I be worried and thinking RMA?
Also, I thought default core clock was 1007?

Caporegime
Delivered, fitted and up and running! :)
Already had a black screen within 15 mins of installing the 13.12 drivers... :(
I'd ran firestrike just to see how it scored (pleased with the results!) and had just loaded GPUZ and bam! Black screen.
Not a good start. Common problem? Loads of threads on it but no firm solutions. Should I be worried and thinking RMA?
Also, I thought default core clock was 1007?

Are you using the latest version of GPU-Z? I know the older versions of it cause problems and black screens with Hawaii cards. Latest version is 0.7.5.

If you're looking to monitor gpu performance id use afterburner and its on screen display. Having gpu-z running in the background hurts performance where as afterburner does not.

Last edited:
Associate
Sapphire has the better cooler without doubt, but the MSI cooler is still very good. MSI has an extra year warranty and is slightly cheaper. MSI has a backplate and i believe (Gibbo said it did earlier) a custom pcb. Sapphire stays cool with large overclocks and lots of voltage according to the reviews i looked at.

The sapphire is crazy loud at 100%, not comfortable to sit next to at all ;)

Associate
Nothing so custom about MSI Gaming Edition (obviously excluding HSF) - carbon copy pcb layout, same pwm controller, same 5+1+1 phase design. The only proper custom design so far is Asus DCU2 and upcoming Lightning (but that one is end of Feb/March timeframe).

Hopefully Asus won't do the custom fit they did to the 280x and have the heatsink not covering all the chips properly, aka 780 cooler clone

Associate
Actually yes it should, if you are referring to the later Beta 18 which I didn't know existed until now :p

So I'm too "pro" to read stuff first :)o) so I downloaded 17 :)

Firstly I can't get that nice skin!! I wantie.. how do I get it.. the ui settings only have the old legacy look.

I've set my settings as suggested and ran it through 3dMark demo.. it takes a while! here is the screenshot of the results and AB:
http://www.dropbox.com/s/qg92w85jbbuedh3/screenie.png
screenie.png

The CPU/Asus Hero runs on boost at 4.2Ghz .. with the noctua dh14 and corsair 540 carbide.. it barely breaks a sweat.. I'm very happy with my new rig now.

Time to see how much I can push it.. won't be doing 3d mark tho.. takes too long and I wanna gaaaame!

Associate
I increased the mem to 1400mhz and did a run of heaven unigine.. had a max of 87c and 98% fan speed because I set it to run fans very aggressively when it got above 80c... unfortunately I didnt click to benchmark.. so no numbers.. sorry, will do it tomorrow. I gotta configure a game now.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

For anyone with a MSI 290 Gamer struggling to clock ram beyond 6000MHz try flashing a regular Asus 290 bios, none X as this is just an AMD bios, for some reason I can now get 6800MHz memory OC on the regular 290. Have MSI done something in the BIOS to hold the regular 290 back OC wise I wonder?

So not good ram OC, try it. :)

The AMD BIOS is also far better for undervolting too.

Maybe the 290X is similar, but I never tried it's stock BIOS as I flash all 290X always to the Asus 290X bios for extra voltage. :)

Associate
For anyone with a MSI 290 Gamer struggling to clock ram beyond 6000MHz try flashing a regular Asus 290 bios, none X as this is just an AMD bios, for some reason I can now get 6800MHz memory OC on the regular 290. Have MSI done something in the BIOS to hold the regular 290 back OC wise I wonder?

gibbo the maximum memory mhz ab lets me go up to is 1625 how the hell you getting 6000 ?

and to the other guy, uinstall ab and all settings run registry cleaner, and reboot

Back
Top Bottom