NEARLY 2 WEEKS WAITING: Nissan GT-R is finally mine!

OcUK Staff
Y Pipes make them sound so much nicer, was the first thing my mate did to his one when he got it a few years back.

I've driven Alcon and RS29 bloody amazing, but too much for road car and dust level is horrendous. But brake power wise absolutely insane, they are generally quiet too as long as you use them once or twice a week to their ability.

I love XP10 and XP8 combo, so much power, no cold bite issue and completely silent, only issue is huge amounts of dust.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Y Pipes make them sound so much nicer, was the first thing my mate did to his one when he got it a few years back.

I've driven Alcon and RS29 bloody amazing, but too much for road car and dust level is horrendous. But brake power wise absolutely insane, they are generally quiet too as long as you use them once or twice a week to their ability.

I love XP10 and XP8 combo, so much power, no cold bite issue and completely silent, only issue is huge amounts of dust.

Aye, they are vicious, only have to touch the brakes at speed and it plasters you into the front windscreen and scrubs off 50mph.

They are a bit squeaky at low speeds, but after you've warmed them up seem ok. People mention i'm very late and hard on the brakes, so hopefully will get on with them.

I've given up on looking for "dust levels" on brakes, one persons loads is another persons nothing, id rather just know the brakes are good all the time and will clean my wheels once a week as normal :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Loving that Y-pipe mod, reminds me of the first time I went to equal length headers on one of my scoobs :cool:

Went through the high street tonight, it sounded absolutely orgasmic. I think the people who stopped to stare as I drove past thought so as well :D

Either that or they were thinking you absolute **** :D

Soldato
I've really gone off loud exhausts for a daily. Mine isn't even that loud but it does my head in, temped to get a valve in the exhaust.

Associate
Have to admit firstly the work you did on the paintwork is ace. Great job.

And that Y pipe sounds the nuts IMO, cant beat a nice loud exhaust :D

Looking forward to seeing you shoot up the 1/4 mile now Kindai ;)

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Hey all!

So today I was pootling around and my god, the brake squeal was driving me insane.

Ordered some ceratec and some shims to hopefully remove that, but while the RS29 is phenomenal for stopping power, the low speed noise is almost embarrassing when you pull up to a junction slowly and sound like a 20 year old bus!

Failing that, may go to a more street friendly compound, maybe some cosworth streetmasters.

Soldato
Hey all!

So today I was pootling around and my god, the brake squeal was driving me insane.

Ordered some ceratec and some shims to hopefully remove that, but while the RS29 is phenomenal for stopping power, the low speed noise is almost embarrassing when you pull up to a junction slowly and sound like a 20 year old bus!

Failing that, may go to a more street friendly compound, maybe some cosworth streetmasters.

I used to have them on an old 330ci and this is the exact reason I got rid of them. The stopping power was seriously amazing, the fade resistance was the best I'd ever experienced from just upgrading brake pads but the squeal.... Oh the squeal.

Stopping at traffic lights sounded like you were a train pulling into a station.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
I used to have them on an old 330ci and this is the exact reason I got rid of them. The stopping power was seriously amazing, the fade resistance was the best I'd ever experienced from just upgrading brake pads but the squeal.... Oh the squeal.

Stopping at traffic lights sounded like you were a train pulling into a station.

I went for a heavy bedding in session today, 15 or so speed up and slow downs in a row, followed by 10 minutes or so of cruising without stopping to cool everything off.

Hoping it will help. On the way back through town they were silent, just gonna leave them a few hours now to cool down and see if that has solved it.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So after the heavy session done earlier I just took them out for a gentle pootle around town, previously may have sounded like a bus with the squeal... but was relatively quiet, a few minor moans here or there but nothing of actual notewortheyness.

Got back and checking the discs, I have a feeling that it may just be that they need a few more heavy sessions to even things out.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
RS29 is a very strong track performance pad, its a bit OTT for road use due to noise and dust.
However if you do at least 1-2 big stops from high speed and hard once or twice a week it helps a lot to keep them quiet, otherwise if you just pootle they start to sound like a train, bloody aweful.

Out of all the pads I experienced on track RS29 had the most braking torque, they will fierce in how much torque they seemed to develop under braking, really had to peel your face of the windscreen, but dust and noise for a road car really made them more a track only application, on M3 anyway, I know the GTR is 1/2 tonne heavier so RS29 no doubt offers some good improvement even in road use.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
RS29 is a very strong track performance pad, its a bit OTT for road use due to noise and dust.
However if you do at least 1-2 big stops from high speed and hard once or twice a week it helps a lot to keep them quiet, otherwise if you just pootle they start to sound like a train, bloody aweful.

Out of all the pads I experienced on track RS29 had the most braking torque, they will fierce in how much torque they seemed to develop under braking, really had to peel your face of the windscreen, but dust and noise for a road car really made them more a track only application, on M3 anyway, I know the GTR is 1/2 tonne heavier so RS29 no doubt offers some good improvement even in road use.

If they become too much im going to swap to DS2500s, have been told they are virtually silent.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Hey all,

So today after 2 days of pootling around the squealing returned, so took them out and did a handful of high speed harsh braking and, problem gone again.

It seems that these pads just dont enjoy low speed work and need to be "abused" to keep them happy (quiet).

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So after less than 2 weeks, decided to get rid of the Pagids, honestly they are too much work to keep quiet, and the noise they make is frankly embarrassing, it turns the car into a chore, so have ordered some DS2500's.

If anyone knows anyone who may want some pagid rs29's with less than 150 miles on them, letting them go for £380 :D

Soldato
So after less than 2 weeks, decided to get rid of the Pagids, honestly they are too much work to keep quiet, and the noise they make is frankly embarrassing, it turns the car into a chore, so have ordered some DS2500's.

If anyone knows anyone who may want some pagid rs29's with less than 150 miles on them, letting them go for £380 :D

Had ds2500s before, admittedly on a much lighter and less powerful car. Bar the dust they were great.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Ferodos turned up today :)

i.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom