Netflix here we go again.

Why is more services bad? More choice, more competition.

Maybe we should go back to 4 TV channels like the good old days!

So many choices over years, yet they all jack up the price and people end up cancelling. You might aswell go back to paying for full blown Sky or Virgin Media TV.

Why is more services bad? More choice, more competition.

Maybe we should go back to 4 TV channels like the good old days!

Because your having to pay subscriptions where you might only be interested in one offering.

I'm not faffing around setting up and cancelling a number of subscriptions and having to keep track of them all to watch one TV show.

I'm afraid at this point the free option becomes the better option. That's a broken system. It's now more difficult to pay than it is to watch for free.

Last edited:
Because it becomes more fragmented and it costs more. Most people would prefer to have everything in one place for a reasonable price.
Sounds a bit like communism m8, report to Ms Braverman for re-education.

Because your having to pay subscriptions where you might only be interested in one offering.
Without the subscription, the offering wouldn't be there :confused:
I'm not faffing around setting up and cancelling a number of subscriptions and having to keep track of them all to watch one TV show.
Why do you need multiple subscriptions to watch one show? Do you find managing your OCUK account as overwhelming as a few streaming services?
I'm afraid at this point the free option becomes the better option. That's a broken system. It's now more difficult to pay than it is to watch for free.
It's really, really easy to pay to watch stuff. I haven't watched Netflix for over a year, but if I open the app on my TV, I just press one button, and TADA, I can watch it again.

Sounds a bit like communism m8, report to Ms Braverman for re-education.

Without the subscription, the offering wouldn't be there :confused:

Why do you need multiple subscriptions to watch one show? Do you find managing your OCUK account as overwhelming as a few streaming services?

It's really, really easy to pay to watch stuff. I haven't watched Netflix for over a year, but if I open the app on my TV, I just press one button, and TADA, I can watch it again.

If I want to watch a show on hbo I'd have to sign up to them. Watch it. End the subscription. Rinse and repeat for each streaming service. It's just not going to happen.

Between TV licence, hbo, amazon, D+, Netflix is just too much hassle. Paying for all of those is going to be what? 50 a month?
I'd rather pay 30 for all of them combined. Like it was before they all started fragmenting. No one service apart from Netflix has enough to have a rolling subscription to for us.

It's pushing people straight back to torrents. I know what I'm like. I'll forget to cancel subscriptions. I never sign up to free month trial stuff as you have to remember to cancel.

Unfortunately torrents are cheaper (obviously) and easier to use than managing turning off and on subscriptions.

Edit
I'd even prefer something like steam. Where you could rent individual shows. 10 pounds for a series let's say. But everything is under one platform.

Last edited:
If I want to watch a show on hbo I'd have to sign up to them. Watch it. End the subscription. Rinse and repeat for each streaming service. It's just not going to happen.

Between TV licence, hbo, amazon, D+, Netflix is just too much hassle. Paying for all of those is going to be what? 50 a month?
I'd rather pay 30 for all of them combined. Like it was before they all started fragmenting. No one service apart from Netflix has enough to have a rolling subscription to for us.

It's pushing people straight back to torrents. I know what I'm like. I'll forget to cancel subscriptions. I never sign up to free month trial stuff as you have to remember to cancel.

Unfortunately torrents are cheaper (obviously) and easier to use than managing turning off and on subscriptions.

Edit
I'd even prefer something like steam. Where you could rent individual shows. 10 pounds for a series let's say. But everything is under one platform.
How do you think these things are funded? If no-one's paying for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon or whatever, half the shows aren't getting made.

Don't like the sheer breadth and choice of content available to watch these days? Simple, don't watch it. Pay for your one service and watch the content on there that you pay for.

Jeez the entitlement is unreal....trying to justify pirating because clicking a cancel button is beyond your powers of organisation....at least be honest and say it's just because you're cheap.

The illusion of choice of content - the quality of content across these platforms is mediocre, race to the bottom, derivative material.
I think the netflix 'output' is epitomized by the Harry & Meghan junk,
meanwhile BBC and co are chasing them down the drain with their reality tv shows

(Interesting analogy is why Tesla has made a success of ev's - few choices but execution to a high standard , high magins, along the ethos of Mr Ford)

How do you think these things are funded? If no-one's paying for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon or whatever, half the shows aren't getting made.

Don't like the sheer breadth and choice of content available to watch these days? Simple, don't watch it. Pay for your one service and watch the content on there that you pay for.

Jeez the entitlement is unreal....trying to justify pirating because clicking a cancel button is beyond your powers of organisation....at least be honest and say it's just because you're cheap.
Most of the content are rubbish tbh

The illusion of choice of content - the quality of content across these platforms is mediocre, race to the bottom, derivative material.
meanwhile BBC and co are chasing them down the drain with their reality tv shows

(Interesting analogy is why Tesla has made a success of ev's - few choices but execution to a high standard , high magins, along the ethos of Mr Ford)
There's nothing illusory about the choice available now compared to even just a few years ago. There is vastly more TV content being created.....and yes, much of it is dross, but there is still in absolute terms far more quality content.

Y'all need to take your rose tinted specs off and remember that majority of TV is utter garbage and always has been, even when there was only a handful of channels.

I didn't understand the majority of what you said but I got the gist and agree about the illusion of choice

Won't someone think of the corporations?

It's well known that Disney (who owns media) and Amazon (who own online shopping) are barely scraping by and entirely propped up by their streaming services...

The content is getting carved up and sold seperately. It's happening to everything. Games have half their content dribbled through years of battlepasses, phones don't have chargers or headphones, cars have subscriptions for heated seats.

It used to be simple, pay netflix £9 and have access to enough good content to fill your time. Now it's pay Netflix, Disney, Paramount, Amazon, HBO etc £50+ to get the access to the content, spend time fannying around with all the apps and websites. Or spend time micromanaging your shows and faffing around with entering card details then remembering to cancel them. It's a pain in the arse and I frankly cannot be bothered.

It used to be simple, pay netflix £9 and have access to enough good content to fill your time. Now it's pay Netflix, Disney, Paramount, Amazon, HBO etc £50+ to get the access to the content, spend time fannying around with all the apps and websites. Or spend time micromanaging your shows and faffing around with entering card details then remembering to cancel them. It's a pain in the arse and I frankly cannot be bothered.
I love football. Unfortunately I would need to pay for Sky Sports, BT Sport, Premier Sports, ViaPlay as well as a TV licence in order to watch it. It just got worse over the years as you only needed Sky and TV initially which was affordable. New providers have moved in, paid fortunes to buy the rights and the customer suffers.

Most people wouldn't have a problem with paying if the content was actually good, didnt get cancelled after one season or you have half complete seasons. Like seasons 1-3 of a series and season 6-8 but season 4 - 5 is missing :confused: You end up going to the Jolly Roger for this missing episodes.

But yes, media companies are definitely not struggling for cash if they can spend millions on a series and never release it.

Last edited:

No the issue here is pure greed. It's not Netflix made $4.4 billion in profit last year. I will for one be cancelling my membership at the end of March. Why shouldn't my son be able to watch Netflix at his grandparents whilst they have him

Back
Top Bottom