Netflix here we go again.

Soldato
They are though? You need to verify on the same WiFi frequently which will be impossible seeing as it's installed on the tv. I could get a tablet but I won't. He will have to do with live TV

You don't watch Netflix at your home (presuming that's where the accounts is registered)?

As long as you watch something there every now and again, that's all they are currently saying is required.

Soldato
Never look back!

Indeed, I tried my hardest to go legal. It ended up with us subscribing to nearly all the platforms, having technical issues (my apple tv+ sub just won't work on sky stream) and major faffing about when in the end, there was only a handful of shows we were watching. You could bet that when I fancied watching a movie, none of the platforms had it (unless you had a vpn on a different country). Not to mention there are daft things like netflix not being on the humax aura if you wanted to go down the freeview route, or (although it's since changed and I accept your thanks) nowtv not being on the google tv pucks.

I've bought a beelink mini pc, ubuntu and plex now. I'm happy to pay, but not when it's a far worse experience.

Still got sky for 4K sports but even that has a question mark over it. My crappy broadband barely copes with it lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Won't someone think of the corporations?

It's well known that Disney (who owns media) and Amazon (who own online shopping) are barely scraping by and entirely propped up by their streaming services...

The content is getting carved up and sold seperately. It's happening to everything. Games have half their content dribbled through years of battlepasses, phones don't have chargers or headphones, cars have subscriptions for heated seats.

It used to be simple, pay netflix £9 and have access to enough good content to fill your time. Now it's pay Netflix, Disney, Paramount, Amazon, HBO etc £50+ to get the access to the content, spend time fannying around with all the apps and websites. Or spend time micromanaging your shows and faffing around with entering card details then remembering to cancel them. It's a pain in the arse and I frankly cannot be bothered.
The amount of content available on Netflix alone has skyrocketed in recent years, they're spending 10s of billions of dollars creating content that was not being created a few years ago. There is far more than enough good content on there to fill your time, more than there has ever been.

The reason there is such a massive range of TV content available is *because* of all the different services competing with each other.

Personally I am extremely thankful for all the services out there because they are providing the funding for some really excellent content to be made that would otherwise not exist. I don't have to pay for every service because I'm a grown adult with a modicum of self control and don't HAVE to watch the latest thing the second it's released, and I can click a cancel button occasionally without collapsing in a whimpering heap at the stress of it all.

Soldato
Something which people missed and I dont think Netflix has mentioned it. More than 2 people using one Netflix account at the time from different locations. Netflix will pickup on those activities aswell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something which people missed and I dont think Netflix has mentioned it. More than 2 people using one Netflix account at the time from different locations. Netflix will pickup on those activities aswell.

We have four netflix profiles, as we're a family of four. Does this mean when the mrs is watching at home, I can't watch when I'm on the train?

Soldato
No the issue here is pure greed. It's not Netflix made $4.4 billion in profit last year. I will for one be cancelling my membership at the end of March. Why shouldn't my son be able to watch Netflix at his grandparents whilst they have him
Unlike certain products you arent forced to buy them, don't like it then vote with your wallet. People act like Netflix, Amazon etc are public services there for the public good, they arent. They are there to extract as much money from you as possible and don't kid yourself otherwise.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd happy pay for one platform with all the content. I simply won't hop between 4 platforms. Especially if there's one or 2 things platform A. It's more. Lazy than cheap as I would pay more than my current subscription if it was all in one place.

I'm too lazy to hop between 4 subscriptions.

Not sure the industry is going to win this one. 2 services is.the ideal really. Not 10!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd happy pay for one platform with all the content. I simply won't hop between 4 platforms. Especially if there's one or 2 things platform A. It's more. Lazy than cheap as I would pay more than my current subscription if it was all in one place.

I'm too lazy to hop between 4 subscriptions.

Not sure the industry is going to win this one. 2 services is.the ideal really. Not 10!

Jolly Roger always wins!

Soldato
Jolly Roger always wins!
yup. i personally got bored of all the faff of keeping certain subs going at different times to watch different things. then got the kids wanting to watch this that or the other, always scattered across different apps/platforms.
1 firetstick later and it's all under one 'app' and one payment. shame the payment is going to some scrote rather than the content creators but it makes my life easier and cheaper so, it is what it is.

Soldato
I always find it interesting to see that what makes these services competitive (different content, different hit programmes etc.) is what people hate about them (wanting all the content in one place). You see the same thing in the smartphone landscape with people calling for features like iMessage to be available on Android even though it’s one of Apple’s competitive advantages that makes them different from the competition.

Soldato
If you know how to set things up and have the time, Plex is a God send!

I like sailing on the Seven Seas but Netflix (at the moment) and Spotfiy get my money every month. As I like to support them. Same for buying physical games, the Jolly Roger has them but I still give them £20 to £50 on release or sale.

Soldato
I'm happy to pay for Netflix as without it I'd have so little to watch! No one else funds what Netflix funds.
I am torn on Netflix. on one hand there is a lot of good content (right now watching better than us ... it's a Russian Ripoff of Humans. but rip off or not it is very good. Without Netflix I would never have heard. of so much good content.
OTOH there is nothing worse on a TV point of view than something ending on a cliff hanger and then being cancelled. they all do it to a point but Netflix do it so routinely that I almost don't want to bother watching their content and getting invested untill I know the series run is finished.

Back
Top Bottom