Netflix here we go again.

Soldato
That make sense but I doubt Netflix will drop it as it makes money. Same as Sky still has an HD package you need to pay for. Instead of rolling it into their 4K package.

But does it?

If they rolled plans into one or had fewer plans based on PQ they would be making the same money, providing they had a cheap tier based perhaps on number of screens.

Associate
But does it?

If they rolled plans into one or had fewer plans based on PQ they would be making the same money, providing they had a cheap tier based perhaps on number of screens.
Many people on the 4K package have no need for 4 screens and have it only for the 4K resolution. So yes it does make them money.

Soldato
Many people on the 4K package have no need for 4 screens and have it only for the 4K resolution. So yes it does make them money.
You miss my point, If they had similar plans at 2 ends of the scale, lets says a 4k package with perhaps 1 -2 screens and a standard package (HD) but at a cheaper price, there would be no need for the SD package as this subscribers would be subbing to the standard package with HD.

At the end of the day other streamers have 1 plan and make huge amounts of money, Netflix are just greedy ****** who throw money at rubbish projects and then cancel them.

Caporegime
You miss my point, If they had similar plans at 2 ends of the scale, lets says a 4k package with perhaps 1 -2 screens and a standard package (HD) but at a cheaper price, there would be no need for the SD package as this subscribers would be subbing to the standard package with HD.

At the end of the day other streamers have 1 plan and make huge amounts of money, Netflix are just greedy ****** who throw money at rubbish projects and then cancel them.

But now if you want 4k you have to buy the premium package. If you had 4k at the current HD price loads of people would drop down to this costing Netflix loads.

I don't see why they would do this.

Soldato
Many people buy the HD and 4k packages so more than one person can stream at the same time, to share with other people. Hence more people watch in HD vs SD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed.

And I thought this was a tech forum...noobs ha.
to be honest I was being a little bit factious..... if 1080p is full HD then that would by my reckoning mean that 720p is less than full HD and therefore not HD in anything other than a marketing sense imo .

720p does not seem high definition to me anyway. (perfectly acceptable for a phone or small tablet screen however)

Last edited:
Soldato
to be honest I was being a little bit factious..... if 1080p is full HD then that would by my reckoning mean that 720p is less than full HD and therefore not HD in anything other than a marketing sense imo .

720p does not seem high definition to me anyway. (perfectly acceptable for a phone or small tablet screen however)

It's all relative.

I remember drooling over a Pioneer Plasma years ago that was hanging in a hi-fi shop.

Ten grand, and it was an 800x600 panel! :p

Then 720p tellies were released, and they were classed as HD, which in comparison, of course, they were.

Soldato
720p used to be called 'HD Ready' as I remember it, then 1080p was HD or full HD. So 720 wasn't really proper HD.
that is how I remember it. I seem to remember it being called half HD as well

PS i.still remember us getting our 1st colour TV. (I am not that old but we were skint). the TV was a hand me down from my grand parents.
before then we had an old black and white that you had to turn on 20 mins before you wanted to watch anything as it didn't work untill it warmed up (probably around 1981 or 82)

Last edited:
Soldato
im still paying for my premium netflix in turkish lira that i set up via a vpn about 5 years ago which equates to about £3.69. Im surprised they haven't cracked down on people doing that first.

I currently share my 4k account of 10 odd years with my mum in another town and two very good mates as I'm paying for 4 screens and Netflix always encouraged it. Only sharing as a favour, and have never cancelled because I share with my mates.

If this change causes me any hassle I'm cancelling and then only signing up via VPN for a month or two a year to watch what I want, especially as there's so many other good content and streaming services now with content I'd like to watch.

Maybe they'll make money on my mates joining...maybe they won't. They'll certainly be losing money on me. I guess they've crunched the numbers and think it will work. I supposed all will be revealed in the quarterly results this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
How this netflix sharing thing and having to log in at home going to work when you no have internet by a line at home
I know multi people that rent flats and only have mobile broadband

Last edited:
Soldato
720p was always HD.

I remember my brother buying a TV back in ~2006 and it was 720p HD. Then a couple years later 1080p TVs were coming out as Full HD and my brother then feeling a little cheated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom