Netflix here we go again.

Soldato
I agree a fiver is reasonable for many.

I think They have to login to the primary wifi AP once a month.

Sorry.

I appreciate I'm being really thick here but I don't understand.

The account that's logged in on my folks TV is my account.

So what will happen, every month I will need to login at home, put my password in? Then can I not just text them the password?

Caporegime
Sorry.

I appreciate I'm being really thick here but I don't understand.

The account that's logged in on my folks TV is my account.

So what will happen, every month I will need to login at home, put my password in? Then can I not just text them the password?

If you're account is registered at address A. You will need to login connected to your router at address A once a month.
I believe it's the physical device.

Actually now I think about it. Not sure how it works for Netflix on TV that you can't move.

I believe that is the only criteria?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you're account is registered at address A. You will need to login connected to your router at address A once a month.

Actually now I think about it. Not sure how it works for Netflix on TV that you can't move.

Netflix won't know what address you are logging in from, it'll probably be based on patterns of concurrent activity on different IPs/machines.

Soldato

That's the point. If you live at the right IP address you'll have no issues logging on with your TV.

However you will if you don't live at said IP address.

Get get around this with a fireTv stick for example.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Doesn't stop a home VPN been setup and one person dials in.

Soldato
i imagine if you refuse then not much will happen...... unless 2 people from 2 different places try to log into the account at the same time....... then you would be in breach of contract and i guess they could close your account.

i dont see how they could forcibly lock the account down to one address because as i understand it, i am allowed to log into my account and use it at a friends house?

even then its not water tight. i assume i am legitemately allowed to log into my account from a friends house when visiting, but my wife can still use the account at home.

i wonder if, for now at least, they will just hope that scare tactics get enough people to stop sharing.

unless i missunderstand what i am legitimately allowed to do with my account?

Soldato
But is still don't understand this, if I log in once a month at home, if it then requires the device that isn't at home to be logged in again, you can just use the same details or will it be blocked?

How can they say it isn't me at another location, after all if people want to watch Netflix on the go they don't have to be at a physical location?

I can appreciate it the same account is logged in at say two different countries at once, but otherwise doesn't it all get a bit grey?

Caporegime
But is still don't understand this, if I log in once a month at home, if it then requires the device that isn't at home to be logged in again, you can just use the same details or will it be blocked?

How can they say it isn't me at another location, after all if people want to watch Netflix on the go they don't have to be at a physical location?

I can appreciate it the same account is logged in at say two different countries at once, but otherwise doesn't it all get a bit grey?
I think the idea is it's "by device" as long as on netflix side they see a login with device ID and IP as expected you can then use 8t where ever.

But as read you guys' replies I'm less sure of how this can work? Except blatent misuse. Like 2 people on 2 different IPs watching at same time and the second account never appearing in the primary location.

But yeah. Lots of technical unknowns

Soldato
Yep I wonder if you could set up a VPN server at the account holder's address and connect once a month? Or just use the VPN when watching Netflix.

Soldato
i imagine if you refuse then not much will happen...... unless 2 people from 2 different places try to log into the account at the same time....... then you would be in breach of contract and i guess they could close your account.

i dont see how they could forcibly lock the account down to one address because as i understand it, i am allowed to log into my account and use it at a friends house?

even then its not water tight. i assume i am legitemately allowed to log into my account from a friends house when visiting, but my wife can still use the account at home.

i wonder if, for now at least, they will just hope that scare tactics get enough people to stop sharing.

unless i missunderstand what i am legitimately allowed to do with my account?
Probably be based on repeated usage patterns. From what I've read you'll need a verification code from the bill payer when logging in from an external device which for a lot of people will be enough nuisance to not bother.

Doesn't stop a home VPN been setup and one person dials in.
That should work but bit of a faff, only need the IP really so would a proxy work?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep I wonder if you could set up a VPN server at the account holder's address and connect once a month? Or just use the VPN when watching Netflix.

It'll likely be pattern based - just logging in periodically on the same IP won't work, a VPN would if using the same IP but if hosted at one of the locations requires enough bandwidth and low enough latency to provide a good experience.

Last edited:
Soldato

They've put a help page up explaining it. Premium plan can only add a maximum of 2 extra member slots at £4.99 each and the extra member is limited to 1 device at a time and 1 profile.

Bit rubbish really, will just carry on as is until they moan and then cancel.

Last edited:
Permabanned

They've put a help page up explaining it. Premium plan can only add a maximum of 2 extra member slots at £4.99 each and the extra member is limited to 1 device at a time and 1 profile.

I can see people starting to cancel their accounts once it's fully implemented.

Soldato

I have my netflix through sky, think I need to phone up to add extras.
That's always a faff......

Soldato

Exactly my stance, I am just going to carry on as is, if something starts not working properly just bin it off, I dont watch much TV as it is, and my sole use for Netflix at the moment is to watch a few episodes of Friends in the evening.

Im still absolutely baffled how they are going to police this, if they are "non-agressive" I imagine all but the most prolific of account abusers will have an issue, or they go in hard, and tons of legitimate users will end up with issues and people will start mass cancelling subscriptions. I cant see the latter personally as it doesn't make commercial sense.

Back
Top Bottom