Netflix here we go again.

With the (still free, or was it year introductory) Sky netflix subscription thought you could only have one person logged in a time, in reality I think it was used once - someone wanted to watch some of Meghan.

can't see why the music streaming service don't use IP addresses to ensure people are in their home country.

I’ll be doing exactly the same. However I personally think this is to stop the bigger account sharers not the small ones.

It may end up being that.
And anyone they scare into it is a bonus.

Will see soon enough as my gf is away from home. So when this comes in she won't have signed in at the account holder address for. 30 days.

I shall update if encounter any Netflix moaning.

Last edited:
So turned on for first time in a week to a message to say need to sign in so clearly rolling our straight away. Looks like no more netflix for me for a while then at this location.

It says.

"You can easily watch Netflix on any of your devices - wherever you go.

We'll help you confirm this TV is part of your Netflix household"

How can you do that with a TV that is in one location? This TV is at one property I visit and I watch from main account at another location?

Last edited:
…and there we have it……..

If you sign into a device connected to a TV you will (or should) now be prompted to set the primary household.

You will (or shouldn’t) be prompted if you sign in on a mobile device i.E laptop, mobile phone or tablet.

Just had it there. Not done any more testing outside of primary household as of yet.

Last edited:
So if you (and your family members that don't live at the same address) only watch Netflix on mobile devices this change doesn't effect you?

Subbed to Netflix for a month to see what was available.

Wall-to-wall garbage. I think I found three things to watch that weren't cringe fests.

I don't remember it being _that_ bad a couple years ago. The new content they've added is so poor.

Will be interesting, as we went to the Lake District last year and used netflix there.

I read that every 30 days your device has to sign in to the primary household location.

I’ve also read that when Netflix is signed in on another device from a remote location it will require confirmation to the household owners email address or via SMS to the household owners mobile phone number.

Wall-to-wall garbage. I think I found three things to watch that weren't cringe fests.
Out of curiosity, how did you decide it was all garbage? I hope not just flicking through things in the app?

Googling a list of best shows on Netflix, even if more than two thirds are not my thing, I could easily list 20 that I've watched and thought were really good. There are probably another 20 shows that I've not seen but are often talked about as being good.

So firestick plugged into tv is a potential work around for account sharing?

No not really because that’s the device (anything plugged into a tv) they check/set primary household.

I’m yet to test external devices.

How Netflix detects devices within a Netflix Household
We use information such as IP addresses, device IDs, and account activity to determine whether a device signed into your account is part of your Netflix Household. We do not collect GPS data to try to determine the precise physical location of your devices.

Last edited:

I don't remember it being _that_ bad a couple years ago. The new content they've added is so poor.
Definitely a huge drop in quality in recent years - only so many serial killer series you can watch ;)

For me, not enough quality content to maintain a sub year round, I dip in and out a few times a year. It's mostly cookie cutter shows with slight variations, the best content is elsewhere for streaming, albeit fragmented across multiple services.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom