Netflix here we go again.

Associate
…and there we have it……..

If you sign into a device connected to a TV you will (or should) now be prompted to set the primary household.

You will (or shouldn’t) be prompted if you sign in on a mobile device i.E laptop, mobile phone or tablet.

Just had it there. Not done any more testing outside of primary household as of yet.

So all those that need to do who wish to share is login on a laptop and output the display / sound through their TV. Downside is you'll use a tad more electricity as you'll need a laptop running as well as the TV.

Permabanned
So all those that need to do who wish to share is login on a laptop and output the display / sound through their TV. Downside is you'll use a tad more electricity as you'll need a laptop running as well as the TV.

I think Netflix has planned to automatically set a primary household using gathered data. The people who use it through a TV is prompted. Netflix will auto detect a primary household if it’s not set.

Caporegime
Even I'm thinking of ditching Netflix. For a. Couple. Of months and getting one of those prime trials.

Almost nothing on prime I want to watch but probably a months worth. It's a hassle though this fragmentation. Tbh it's probably easier to go to the "old ways" rather than using free trials. Seeing as I have a vpn anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea I’ll be cancelling mine. I don’t use it enough to justify the £16/month it’s costing. Other half uses it a bit and my brother uses it a little not enough for him to justify £16/month either so it’s back to the good old days of popcorn and time for me ;)

Associate
I think Netflix has planned to automatically set a primary household using gathered data. The people who use it through a TV is prompted. Netflix will auto detect a primary household if it’s not set.

Sorry, I meant all the person outside of the primary house has to do is login to netflix on their laptop. Connect laptop to TV via hdmi and output through the TV. As login is through a mobile device it'd not be detected.

Unsure how this would effect image quality etc though.

Last edited:
Soldato
the stupid thing with all this is, if we had 2-3 services providing all the content we'd be fine.

but now you've got spotify, netflix, tidal, prime video, disney etc etc

if you want to have access to "all" content you'll be paying £100/month in subs... watch them cry that people have gone back to piracy after splitting all the content into 25 services. Everyone wants a piece of the pie but the pie will only get smaller with this carp.

e.g. tidal for me, using portugal, costs me £1/month.. if I couldn't do that, they'd get £0 from me as I simply do not need it enough.

Soldato
Oh dear, we've started getting confirmation requests about the 4 screens that I pay for, to confirm they're part of my household. I wonder how long until they start blocking the devices we're using.

Caporegime
So they are blocking by IP or device id..
It seems like a lot of hard work
we are 3 households with 1 user each..
3 unique IP addresses.

I don't see how they can stop it, other than IP address. Even then if I'm roaming and have another IP that's fine too.

Who says you can't roam with a smart tv or logon from a comp browser?

Is this all technical explained somewhere?

My English is getting worse

Permabanned
Sorry, I meant all the person outside of the primary house has to do is login to netflix on their laptop. Connect laptop to TV via hdmi and output through the TV. As login is through a mobile device it'd not be detected.

Unsure how this would effect image quality etc though.

Not 100% sure if it detects laptop to TV connection as of yet. Not tried it.

Caporegime
the stupid thing with all this is, if we had 2-3 services providing all the content we'd be fine.

if you want to have access to "all" content you'll be paying £100/month in subs... watch them cry that people have gone back to piracy after splitting all the content into 25 services. Everyone wants a piece of the pie but the pie will only get smaller with this carp.

e.g. tidal for me, using portugal, costs me £1/month.. if I couldn't do that, they'd get £0 from me as I simply do not need it enough.

People will go back to torrents.

Happy to pay for 2 services. But for every extra service the entire industry gets a little more damaged.

Companies love their initial figures. Especially as investors love growth. "omg we have a million people added this week".. But they are all on 6 month trials.

For 6 months they are going great. Then subscribers start to fall.

I don't believe all these platforms can survive.

Caporegime

But but but it provides competition in the market which is always better for the consumer!

So they say.

Soldato
Surely it has to be via deviceid to cater for households with dhcp assigned ISP addresses and when out and about roaming on a phone/tablet? Allow customer to reset or delete deviceids and assign up to a maximum of 4.

Soldato
Surely it has to be via deviceid to cater for households with dhcp assigned ISP addresses and when out and about roaming on a phone/tablet? Allow customer to reset or delete deviceids and assign up to a maximum of 4.
4 is not enough. The policy is 4 to stream at any one time, not total number of devices logged in.

Back
Top Bottom