Netflix here we go again.

Caporegime
It happened, account cancelled. I can't see this working how they want it to, which is a shame because competition is always good for the consumer.

Caporegime
Others may not agree, but I have more respect for Netflix than other streaming channels, because they have a fixed price for everyone, no deals or extensive free trials. No cutting the price by 80% if you got to cancel (like Sky and NOW TV). You know what you have to pay and that's the end of it.

I hate the constant bartering with some places, just to get the lowest price they are giving it to others for.

If I was in government, I'd ban the pricing models that have one person paying £50 a month whilst someone else pays £20 a month for the exact same thing.

End the stupid renewals that they magically can drop prices by a massive amount for, as soon as you contact them. It's just dishonest.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It happened, account cancelled. I can't see this working how they want it to, which is a shame because competition is always good for the consumer.
It's literally worked exactly how they've wanted in all other countries it's been rolled out to.
They're not quite as daft as many seem to think.

Soldato
I don't believe all these platforms can survive.

It's probably worse for Netflix. Disney own a massive catalogue of content, plus have alternative revenue streams.

Prime is owned by a behemoth. So whilst they're unlikely to subsidise it from their other revenue streams, running out of money probably isn't much of a concern for them. Also I imagine they leverage a lot of their AWS infrastructure for providing the service, so there's not much of an uplift needed compared to Netflix.

Soldato
Others may not agree, but I have more respect for Netflix than other streaming channels, because they have a fixed price for everyone, no deals or extensive free trials. No cutting the price by 80% if you got to cancel (like Sky and NOW TV). You know what you have to pay and that's the end of it.

I hate the constant bartering with some places, just to get the lowest price they are giving it to others for.

If I was in government, I'd ban the pricing models that have one person paying £50 a month whilst someone else pays £20 a month for the exact same thing.

End the stupid renewals that they magically can drop prices by a massive amount for, as soon as you contact them. It's just dishonest.

I definitely agree about the whole bartering thing. But Netflix aren't quite innocent there. They do charge different countries different rates (and not just the equivalent in local currency) and also have varying access to content depending on licensing.

I remember reading about the comparison between Australia and the US a number of years ago where AUS were paying nearly twice the cost for half the catalogue that US customers were getting. That may have narrowed a bit over the years but it's definitely not a fixed price for all for same content.

Caporegime
It's probably worse for Netflix. Disney own a massive catalogue of content, plus have alternative revenue streams.

Prime is owned by a behemoth. So whilst they're unlikely to subsidise it from their other revenue streams, running out of money probably isn't much of a concern for them. Also I imagine they leverage a lot of their AWS infrastructure for providing the service, so there's not much of an uplift needed compared to Netflix.

Agree.
Netflix have to constantly put out good varied content. They have no backup.

Caporegime

Apparently Disney+ is bleeding money and subscribers. So they say.

Caporegime
Apparently Disney+ is bleeding money and subscribers. So they say.
Certainly bleeding money apparently. To the tune of hundreds of millions a year. Subscriber counts are always up and down, especially when it comes to sports rights in India and the like. They lost around five million in India alone when their partner Star lost the IPL cricket rights.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
What is there to test? My sister went on Netflix last night, I had to authorise before she could.
My account has been used today in Europe as well as Asia and I did not have to authorise anything.

Although I did not continue when it asked me to confirm my TV is in my household when I logged in first time. Will see how long it lasts.

Soldato
I hope I have not given myself a bunch of hassle. I am on holiday but bought the Nvidia shield with us. I logged in to the resort WiFi to watch some TV and it asked me to confirm the location. I did . I hope now my account does not try to insist I love in Hunstanton when I actually get back home.

Back
Top Bottom