Netflix here we go again.

Caporegime
I think the car one is a fantastic analogy but not in the way the poster thought (the complete opposite imo). The type of person wanting a vw polo is not the same person wanting an a-class as they are in 2 different markets (as an example). There's some overlap, but I think it's too fragmented now, there must be a dozen streaming services in the US, wonder how long it will take for that to happen here. We've already got disney, netflix, prime, paramount, hbo, have I missed any?
ITVX premium and Discovery+

Soldato
The user intereface on netflix , helpful suggestions .. practically like Musks Fullselfdrive AI aspirations - hands off, you don't need to engage your brain -
of course, that's really the netflix algorithm, to maintain your attention, since statistics show if you watch less than 15hours a month your probability of cancelling increases, and, cognitive dissonance breaks.

Caporegime
The user intereface on netflix , helpful suggestions .. practically like Musks Fullselfdrive AI aspirations - hands off, you don't need to engage your brain -
of course, that's really the netflix algorithm, to maintain your attention, since statistics show if you watch less than 15hours a month your probability of cancelling increases, and, cognitive dissonance breaks.

Netflix has me figured out. On the chrome cast the suggestions that come up.are pretty good. Found a few gems watching them.

Soldato
The only way the car analogy works is if the roads on your commute to work are restricted to Mercedes only, you need to drive a VW to drive to pick up your kids from nursery, and a Ford to visit your parents a few times a year. They aren't directly competing, and sure, they basically offer the same thing; the ability to drive on some roads, but it's a bit difficult to argue that having the different options is actually good thing when all you really want is a single car that will give you the freedom to drive anywhere...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The issue now is that there are so many streaming platforms with content spread across all of them, that many people are reverting to "old ways" because having to subscribe to a dozen different services is basically a pain in the backside. If it were only one service that would be fine, two ehh maybe still ok, but when its multiples its just annoying.

As with the blockbuster days, if you wanted to rent a movie, you went to one place. When I look at the things I'm watching currently they require Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO+, Paramount+, Disney+ and AppleTV which is a pretty chunky bill every month.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The issue now is that there are so many streaming platforms with content spread across all of them, that many people are reverting to "old ways" because having to subscribe to a dozen different services is basically a pain in the backside. If it were only one service that would be fine, two ehh maybe still ok, but when its multiples its just annoying.

I agree.

Soldato
that blu-ray comparison raises another issue (discussed during covid times) poor netflix bandwidth for 4K box office hits, especially if you invested in large oled screen,
I don't know if netflix have squeezed it further, or whether the netflix 4K viewing experience is still akin to a standard 1080 dvd, but it's an inferior product,
sony were(did?) plan to sell a high bandwidth streaming service 100MB/s+ versus 30's(?) that netflix use , but that was encypted to dedicated hardware in their tv's to avoid piracy.

Soldato
that blu-ray comparison raises another issue (discussed during covid times) poor netflix bandwidth for 4K box office hits, especially if you invested in large oled screen,
I don't know if netflix have squeezed it further, or whether the netflix 4K viewing experience is still akin to a standard 1080 dvd, but it's an inferior product,
sony were(did?) plan to sell a high bandwidth streaming service 100MB/s+ versus 30's(?) that netflix use , but that was encypted to dedicated hardware in their tv's to avoid piracy.
Bravia Core. 100Mb.

Avoid piracy... Haha that didn't work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bravia Core. 100Mb.

Avoid piracy... Haha that didn't work.
yes mine should have said Mb .... even if you can intercept/copy/pirate the 100Mb stream the piratee still needs to store that stream - how big are the NAS's people have.

Netflix could double down (Tidal'esque) and themselves have a masters subscription fuller fat.

Soldato
Its now come down to people dont want to pay more for the same or less of that service.

If Netflix was actually THAT good now, people would happily pay more and not complain.

Gas, electric, mobile bills, petrol. Everything is going up in price and nothing is being given in return such as better quality to justify that increase.

Caporegime

As with the blockbuster days, if you wanted to rent a movie, you went to one place. When I look at the things I'm watching currently they require Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO+, Paramount+, Disney+ and AppleTV which is a pretty chunky bill every month.

I'm certainly not going to sub to a service and cancel after a month for 1 series. Just not going to happen.

Will I watch that show?...

Associate
The cost of Netflix is less than 1 blue ray dvd a month and it’s still cheaper than what it would renting VHS from blockbuster years and years ago.
That's a very poor comparison. For one thing it depends on which Blu-Ray film you buy, some can be as little as £2 which is a lot cheaper than a month of Netflix. You could get any Blu-Ray/DVD you wanted whereas with Netflix you have a very limited selection that can change at any time. If you wanted to watch the film again in the future you'd have to buy another month of Netfix if you had paused your subscription which would make it even more expensive compared to buying the Blu-Ray. Also as someone else already mentioned Blu-Ray is much higher quality due to the high compression on Netflix so you're not really even comparing the same product.

Soldato
even if price is not reducing here, maybe netflix is still having a laugh with shrinkflation of bitrates in europe (except for the products at the end of the aisles, stranger things...);

Depends on the relative costs of programme distribution infrastructure cost versus the talent Harry&Meghan etc.
Apple TV + dominates, Disney + and Netflix follow[/HEADING]
PLATFORM BITRATE 4K BITRATE 1080p BITRATE 720p
Apple TV + 26 Mbps 8,84 Mbps 2,56 Mbps
Disney + 16,59 Mbps 7,42 Mbps 4,42 Mbps
Netflix 16,64 Mbps 6,44 Mbps 3,06 Mbps

Associate
Back
Top Bottom