New build need help

Soldato
BSOD while turning on deep stranded lol
Might be time to test your memory thoroughly:

Run Memtest HCI (leave to own devices once it's running) - Memtest.

Read the instructions - run to 400% (explained in instructions - watch for first 20 minutes, if it doesn't freeze, as 'may' give off errors very quickly if it's the problem)

*Additional - before you do anything what is your memory set at?

Associate
OP
Might be time to test your memory thoroughly:

Run Memtest HCI (leave to own devices once it's running) - Memtest.

Read the instructions - run to 400% (explained in instructions - watch for first 20 minutes, if it doesn't freeze, as 'may' give off errors very quickly if it's the problem)

*Additional - before you do anything what is your memory set at?

Well in cpu-z its 1699.6 dual, but i had to enable xmp in bios for it to run at that.

Soldato
Well in cpu-z its 1699.6 dual, but i had to enable xmp in bios for it to run at that.
What memory did you buy?

From what was specced your memory should be running reading 1600 in CPU-z (i.e. DDR 2 x 1600 = 3200MHz).

We may have found the problem, depending on your reply.

Soldato
Kevin Matthews said:
Meant in cpuz its at 1599.6mhz
/slaps @Kevin Matthews round the head with a SATA cable :p

Well, is was a glimmer of hope while it lasted - did you do the memory test?

@Plec dunno about you, but to me it seems time to throw in the towel and get @Kevin Matthews to RMA the 5700XT for a 2070 super?
5700XT seems to have too many teething issues to recommend at the moment :/
Well, it has had similarities to TNS's thread and it worked for him along with the V19 BIOS upgrade (but different board).

What BIOS are you on @Kevin Matthews - i've lost track...

Man of Honour
Well, it has had similarities to TNS's thread and it worked for him along with the V19 BIOS upgrade (but different board).
tns swapped to a 2070super midway though. but yes, different mobo (still MSI) though. so problem may well be the BIOS

Soldato
tns swapped to a 2070super midway though. but yes, different mobo (still MSI) though. so problem may well be the BIOS
Yeah, every chance given the speed in which they're chucking them out.

@Kevin Matthews - is yours the card with coil whine? If so you have a valid reason for return if you wanted to try this (although TNS manage to swap his out with zero issues - @tamzzy? - not sure they even questioned it?)

@Kevin Matthews - don't suppose you have a spare GPU and also could you drop your memory to 2993MHz and run this for a couple of days while you decide. And keep an eye out for BIOS/Driver updates...

Associate
OP
Yeah, every chance given the speed in which they're chucking them out.

@Kevin Matthews - is yours the card with coil whine? If so you have a valid reason for return if you wanted to try this (although TNS manage to swap his out with zero issues - @tamzzy? - not sure they even questioned it?)

@Kevin Matthews - don't suppose you have a spare GPU and also could you drop your memory to 2993MHz and run this for a couple of days while you decide. And keep an eye out for BIOS/Driver updates...

Yeah have coil whine when opening games, dont have a spare unfortunately, and I've dropped my memory as suggested. How do you contact RMA if i do decide to go down that road? Not like i want to lol.

Soldato
Yeah have coil whine when opening games, dont have a spare unfortunately, and I've dropped my memory as suggested. How do you contact RMA if i do decide to go down that road? Not like i want to lol.
Via the Customer Services Forum.

But, given your understandable reluctance, have a play with the memory dropped to 2993MHz for a day or two - see if things improve (i.e. no errors at all). There may even be another BIOS/Driver release during this time - which you will definitely be trying if released.

Soldato
Bump your memory back up to 3200MHz for testing.

try this (needs usb stick)
https://www.memtest86.com/
^^^ Old faithful - and let it run for a few passes (i used to run it overnight if i had memory concerns)

Also while trying run mem test saying at start could not allocate?
Remember to test only the memory available (check within task manager - performance tab) and then don't run anything else in background.

Soldato
nah. CBA. gonna send RMA the 3700x for a replacement. journey has offered to let me try his 2200g on weds...so we'll know by then. and hopefully get the build running by next monday (as planned)

@Journey, offers this a lot - even to unknown members - generous considering his job commitments and relatively brave considering the ratio of f'wits to norms in today's society. Is he aware that you're a high functioning sociopath with a penchant for spanking visitors backsides as a formal greeting? :D

Glad to read you have a definitive way of proving the component (I was genuinely gutted for you yesterday- even my daughter said "oh no - not Tammy!" Yep, that's how she pronounces your name.) - hopefully you'll be up and running by Monday - and as you say, still on your original timeline.

Back
Top Bottom