New Dell 1730 Dual 8800GTX beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Anyone able to post up their colour settings for me please? Played around with them for ages but still not managed to get a set of colours I'm happy with. I'm talking about the ones in the Nvidia control panel thingy.

Soldato
Anyone able to post up their colour settings for me please? Played around with them for ages but still not managed to get a set of colours I'm happy with. I'm talking about the ones in the Nvidia control panel thingy.

I set it to 20-25% DV, leave the rest. I mostly use it with the lid down and my external monitor plugged in though.

Thank you very much.
Just one final question if I can.

I understand that certain software out there needs to be modified or re-developed if it's to make the change from XP to Vista.

Is this also the case for going from 32-bit to 64-bit?

So for example, Mr Vendor of Special Software (eg. accounting software) needs to advise his customers that their XP versions of his software won't run on Vista, they need the new Vista version of his software. Will he also need to advise similarly if his customers are using 64-bit Vista instead of 32-bit Vista. Or is it simply a case if its developed for 32-bit it'll also work on 64-bit?

Thanks!
I've not encountered a single problem with vista x64 relating to 32 bit apps, the most I've had to do to get something working in vista (both 32/64 bit versions) is set it to windows xp compatibility.

Associate
There must be something very wrong on your set-up, my vista 64 install has gone without a single problem. Currently running the 175.12's and they are rock solid as were the previous 4 driver versions I tried.

Must have been, it was like watching a high speed slideshow with the 174.93's. I'll reinstall with 64 bit and try thr 175.12's now

Associate
what did people do about the sound option? creative or take standard option? I don't really want to buy any creative again if i can at all help it.

Associate
The Creative is only a software application I think. I've got it on mine and the actual hardware is Sigmatel and it just adds a few of the x-fi software bits and bobs. You might be better not getting it and if you are not satisfied with the sound get one of the X-fi laptop cards for the express slot. I've got 5.1 speakers to mine and they sound pretty good.

Soldato
what did people do about the sound option? creative or take standard option? I don't really want to buy any creative again if i can at all help it.
Avoid both creative options like the plague. The software DSP is a waste of money in every sense and the hardware card that goes in the express-card slot lacks the features that give the xfi its selling point. To top it off, it also suffers from shoddy drivers.

The headphone jacks are able to output 5.1 sound and the built in windows mixer handles them very well.

Associate
You're lucky you have audio! I picked up my refurb'd M1730 last week from a local reseller and there was no sounds from the internal speakers out of the box (sound from the headphone jacks ok) I've checked everything including the 'mute internal speakers' checkbox in the Sigmatel app and can only conclude the speakers were never connected to the mainboard or perhaps worse! So I now have to wait for the warranty to transfer to my name before getting it fixed :mad: Other than that it's one sweet machine, the 8800's pack some punch in comparison to the 7950GTX in my old M1710

Associate
Hi all:)

Just wanted to know about how to install dual operating (aka dual boot) systems on my 1730, do i have to format the drives then install xp pro sp2 first on on partition and the vista 32 bit last

The thing is i have only done this on non raid desktop setups , never on a raid setup laptop before:confused:

I heard here a while back that you need to slipstream the raid drivers into Windows Xp pro sp2 is that correct, if so how do you do that:o

Sorry guys im a bit of a noob with raid setup laptops and slipstreaming:(

Regards

Christian

Ps: Whats the best drivers for xp pro and win vista 32...

Associate
with vista64, do any of you lot get any problems with:

A) any of the network/wireless issues I've heard about with vista. i.e. checking for wireless connections and therefore lagging games while they do so

B) problems with css/hl2/source etc?

I'm wanting to try and jump to vista and 64 bit OS but just abit scared :p since I don't want my games being lagged/shuttering etc.

Also, which version of vista64 and driver set seems the most stable/best performance etc?

Last edited:
Soldato
Musta have been a bad install. Not giving me any problems this time round (except from the FPS in UT2004 dropping from 91 to 5 for no reason twice :o)
Sounds good. :)

with vista64, do any of you lot get any problems with:

A) any of the network/wireless issues I've heard about with vista. i.e. checking for wireless connections and therefore lagging games while they do so

B) problems with css/hl2/source etc?

I'm wanting to try and jump to vista and 64 bit OS but just abit scared :p since I don't want my games being lagged/shuttering etc.

Also, which version of vista64 and driver set seems the most stable/best performance etc?
I'm currently running 175.16 on mine. Gives great performance for all the games I play, sli works properly and both suspend and hibernate work as well (I actually use mine on the go) :eek::D

I have not encountered any problems relating to searching for networks and things lagging but I have encountered a weird but very quick audio glitch that happens when you press the wifi catcher button. Nothing too bad though.

I have no problems with any source based games either.

Associate
Hi, quick question: I have a Dell XPS rucksack (old black one) that easily fits my 1730 and power brick. I'm wondering will it fit into the overhead bin of an aircraft (737)? Has anyone tried this yet? I think I'm just within the cabin allowance of 10Kilos with Ryanair!

Associate
Hi, quick question: I have a Dell XPS rucksack (old black one) that easily fits my 1730 and power brick. I'm wondering will it fit into the overhead bin of an aircraft (737)? Has anyone tried this yet? I think I'm just within the cabin allowance of 10Kilos with Ryanair!

Took my XPS gen2 17" in the XPS backpack to Canada and back with no problems in any of the overhead lockers. That includes internal flights with smaller lockers.

Associate
hi
been thinking about ordering one of these bad boys, but just wondering if someone could tell me whats the machine is scoring on vista, the base score and others

cheers
adam

Soldato
hi
been thinking about ordering one of these bad boys, but just wondering if someone could tell me whats the machine is scoring on vista, the base score and others

cheers
adam

Can't help myself with the scorings but check out the M1730 from OcUK. We have them in stock now ready for next day shipping and you should find we're substantially cheaper than Dell.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom